5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for me! Again.
Published 19 months ago by SHADOHQ

1.0 out of 5 stars McAfee non security software
Published 20 months ago by Mr K G Folds

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for me! Again., 6 Dec. 2013
This review is from: McAfee Internet Security 2014 - 1 User (PC) (CD-ROM)
I have had McAfee Internet Security for 3 years now and never had a problem installing it. New to this version is Vulnerability Scanner, which checks your PC programs and Windows for the latest updates. I wonder if it is a good idea to let McAfee do Windows Updates, but you can choose not to, by selecting Vulnerability custom scan and ticking a box. I like the site-advisor secure search ticks and have had no problems using the software. If you are already using the 2013 version, then this is usually a cheaper alternative to renewing with McAfee.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than renewing a 'trial version', 2 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Most new laptops and computers come with a trial anti-virus suite which nags you to pay for a full package. I have found it's cheaper to buy the software from Amazon and install a fresh copy

I uninstalled my trial McAfee anti virus software first to avoid conflicts. Installation of the McAfee suite from CD was quick with no problems. Very little impact on my computers performance. I let the system do a full scan and was pleased at how quick it was.

It seems like a small price to pay to protect my computer with a market leading piece of great software. I now have peace of mind that my new laptop is protected against viruses and other nasties.

Only 4 stars because of the hassle in having to remove the trial version first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable & robust!, 2 Dec. 2014
Silvester (Sheffield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
*** Antivirus/Malware Feature ***

As with most Security Suites, you've got on-access protection and scheduled scans. On-access protection simply scans files for threats as and when you try and access them. For example if you access a folder and it contains a virus, as soon as you open the folder McAfee will scan it and if it locates a threat will remove it pretty much instantly making it really difficult to open a virus even for people who are not very confident with their PC.

Scan speeds seem reasonable:
Quick scan: About 8 minutes.
Full scan: A few hours.

I also found that when I switched from Norton to McAfee, McAfee picked up a number of items Norton had simply missed.

The only gripe I have with the description of this feature is the fact that it doesn't seem to pick up a massive amount of malware. If anything it seems to pick up malware after its been installed, but it would be so much easier if it could pick it up before it was on your PC.

For my day job I work providing Tech Support and I must speak to 20+ a day who have malware on their machine and they can be pretty argumentative because they assume McAfee will protect them against malware. Although this will pick up some malware, it misses a lot of programs which cause popups, redirects and inline adverts.

I personally find the best option is to have a program like this installed to protect you against the serious stuff, then have a free malware removal tool such as Malwarebytes or Adwcleaner on hand for if you do inadvertently installed malware.

I would however add that although McAfee's ability to pick-up malware seems slightly limited, I would say it seems more effective at picking up malware than its main rival Norton.

*** Firewall ***

As far as I can tell the Firewall seems fairly reasonable.

For those that are sat behind a home router, the chances are you won't see many messages from McAfee relating to your firewall (at least for incoming stuff) as most routers now a days have a built in firewall. This means that most unusual connections from the outside world are blocked well before they get anywhere near McAfee.

The main feature of the firewall when you are sat behind a hardware firewall is actually to monitor outgoing connections. If a program appears to be trying to connect to the internet and McAfee believes it may be malicious or suspect, it will prompt you and ask you if you trust the program.

This will generally block malicious programs from capturing your personal details and sharing them online, but can also be used if you can see a program is connecting to the internet and don't want it to.

Sometimes you may find that it thinks a perfectly innocent program could be malicious and blocks it. In that instance its nice and easy to go into the settings and tell it to allow that program full access to the internet.

*** Web Browsing Protection (SiteAdvisor) ***

SiteAdvisor is a useful feature which alerts you when you are navigating to untrustworthy sites. If a website has been reported to be well known for sharing viruses, malware, etc you will often be presented with a page advising you the content of the page you are about to visit could be unsafe. You get a big warning sign which is impossible for anyone to miss. There is also the option to continue to the website if you are 100% confident it is trustworthy.

*** Parental Controls ***

I haven't really used the Parental Controls feature much as I don't have kids. I did have a play around with it though to see if it was any good for the purpose of this review. It was easy to set-up and manage and seemed nice and secure. Protected by an administrator passwords made it really difficult to make any changes without an adults permission.

*** Anti-Spam ***

Again I haven't really used the Anti-Spam features a massive amount – simply because I mainly use webmail which is pretty effective at filtering out spam emails anyway. However I was pretty impressed with the features it does offer. Even for those using webmail you can use it to filter out your junk mail by connecting to your mail server and filtering out the junk emails before they appear in your webmail.

*** Potential Problems ***

I've not personally experienced any problems personally with my copy of McAfee. I do however work providing Tech Support as my day job and there are really only a handful of issues I ever seem to come across with Mcafee and to be fair these are issues which can effect all security suites.

The 2 problems are:

1) Loss of internet access – this is a really common issue which can happen regardless of which Security Suite you use. You generally find that you show as being connected to the internet, but you don't have access to the internet through any of your browsers.

This seems to happen when McAfee has become a little bit corrupted and decides it wants to block all connections to the internet. Sometimes when trying to uninstall it from programs and features, your PC then struggles to remove it because of how corrupted it is or because its still running in the background.

The best way to fix this problem is normally to restart your PC into safemode (this can be done fairly easily with a bit of research, even for those not overly confident with PC's) and download the McAfee Removal Tool. This allows you to remove McAfee completely in safemode ensuring no corrupted components are left behind.

2) Sometimes you just can't get McAfee to open – You'll generally find the icon shows in the bottom right hand corner of your desktop, in the system tray, but try and open it and it either doesn't open at all, or it opens but you can't navigate around the options.

As above. The best way to fix this problem is normally to restart your PC into safemode and download the McAfee Removal Tool. This allows you to remove McAfee completely in safemode ensuring no corrupted components are left behind.

3) It does seem to slow the machine down from time to time, especially when performing a scheduled scan. To be fair however I find this happens regardless of which Antivirus I am using and simply put this down the fact it is having to process a lot of information.

4) Limited malware protection – As mentioned previously although McAfee seems more capiable of picking up malware than alternative Security Suites, its ability to remove malware is nothing like what you would find in free programs such as Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner.

*** Conclusion ***

I have used pretty much every Security Package going at one point or another and McAfee remains my favourite.

It seems a much more reliable package than other Security Suites and its available for significantly cheaper than most of the other packages available.

For those reasons I would personally recommend McAfee.

1.0 out of 5 stars McAfee non security software, 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: McAfee Internet Security 2014 - 1 User (PC) (CD-ROM)
Beware, after problems loading this software at all, it then appears to have a glitch which informs you constantly that you're not fully protected. I only purchased this to update previous McAfee software on a laptop but now wish I hadn't. Found on a few forums that others had similar issues. I don't get these problems with Norton on my desktop. A waste of time and money -avoid.

2.0 out of 5 stars McAfee is the worst Internet security next to Norton...both will upset your computer., 5 April 2014
This review is from: McAfee Internet Security 2014 - 1 User (PC) (CD-ROM)
I have experienced on goings with my laptop for the past five years. I had Norton at first and then I had McAfee. But beware McAfee will take up most of your hard drive and CPU usage. Norton stupid things like bought downloads from PLAY.COM.. McAfee will not only slow your computer but will mess up your System Configuration via Startup. For all new computer I suggest using free Security. like Microsoft Office Essentials or AVG free Internet security. Which are the best Internet security.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, reliable security for surfing the 'net, 24 April 2014
K Wren "K Wren" (Wye Valley (England/Wales border)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this to replace AVG Internet Security which offered renewal at £38.24 and didn't impress me as it costs far less than this to buy a new pack and start afresh. Although I've been very happy with AVG over the last year, it's time for a change and having recently started using McAfee on both my tablet and used-24/7 PC, it was the obvious choice also for my netbook.

Installation can be either via the enclosed CD or direct from the McAfee website. Inserting the CD automatically activates download from the web to ensure the it is fully up to date and upon completion it is registered using the supplied product key. Because my elderly netbook doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, I had to use the direct download method taking about 10 minutes our 12mb broadband line. The installation process generates a serial number which is used should Internet Security need to be reinstalled later.

Customised scans can be set up to scan your PC/laptop at any day/week/month interval you choose. Email and web browsing is protected and there's a spam filter which works well. One of the most useful features is the link scanner which indicates via a green tick symbol whether a site is safe to visit - if a red warning shows then this is advance warning of a potentially virus or malware-ridden address to be avoided, or visited at your peril. Identity and phishing protection isn't part of this package, nor is network protection, whereby a pop-up message alerts the user to any unidentified users logged onto the wireless network - these are included in the 'Total Protection' version but unless you specifically require these features, I feel it is not worth paying extra for options you don't need. My netbook is very much my secondary computer and used mostly away from home for limited browsing while travelling so these additional features are not required.

McAfee Internet Security has now been in use for over a month, switched on a few times per week during which time it has downloaded updates and has quietly worked away in the background scanning for any viruses and malware. My netbook isn't a speedy model but while the background scans are taking place, there has been only a minimal performance loss - which I would expect on such a dated machine with just a 1.2Ghz processor. On my PC with a higher and more current specification, it whizzes away unnoticed with no performance loss at all.

McAfee Internet Security 2014 provides peace of mind, has one of the best and simplest user-interfaces I've seen on antivirus/internet security software packages and I haven't found anything to fault at all on the program which I would happily use again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Safe and Secure, 10 April 2014
Mr. Stephen Redman (York England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This package continues to be great value and totally safe. I am personally convinced that there is no product on the market in this category that will give you a safer experience of computing. Anti-virus, firewall, anti-spam, anti-spyware -all are taken care of with McAfee's expertise and reputation behind it.

The only reason I haven't given 5 stars (and I would have proffered 4.5) is that the user interface is neither friendly or modern. Offering the same user interface screen as McAfee Total Protection, it seems poor compared with previous versions and certainly behind Kaspersky and Norton. Having said that, the idea is that you shouldn't be looking at it all the time, and the real plus is the speed it works at and the limited difference it makes to the speed of your pc.

Some people will ask what is the difference between this product and McAfee Total Protection? The answer is not a lot - primarily the latter offers data encryption as an added level of security on your machine. If you want to encrypt then pay the small difference, otherwise get this product.

My advice is don't mess around with unheard of brands. You know McAfee is safe and secure, so just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cost saving alternative to auto-renewal., 12 Feb. 2015
B. A. Cass (Derbyshire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: McAfee Internet Security 2014 - 1 User (PC) (CD-ROM)
Very much cheaper than auto-renewing my McAfee internet security. The only snag is that McAfee has no means of renewing I could find except auto-renewal. This meant I first had to uninstall McAfee, using the McAfee Removal Tool available for free on the internet, then downloading McAfee Internet Security from the internet, using the product code supplied in the retail box (that was all you got in the box!) and following the on screen instructions. Altogether it took longer than clicking on auto renewal, but it worked for me and I personally considered the time involved was easily justified by the cost saved.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: McAfee Internet Security 2014 - 1 User (PC) (CD-ROM)
Whatever you do, don't buy this! It is not compatible with UK systems and would therefore be a waste of your money, as it was mine!

2.0 out of 5 stars Performance Hit, 25 Jun. 2014
Alan "Alan" (Edinburgh United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had a Trojan scare recently, which was picked up by Microsoft Security Essentials, however had the chance to try McAfee. It picked up a few java cache entries that MSE had missed; but nothing of real note.

It's difficult for a single reviewer to give anything but anecdotal experience on this kind of product. One thing I can say, is that most reviewers find its detection rate average (much like MSE) - see the recent PCmag test for example.

One thing I can say for certainty however is the performance hit is brutal. Much longer boot up times, much longer before the PC is responsive. The search engine plug-in can also add 0.5-1 second on to page loads, making browsing the web feel real stodgy. Everything just seems slower.

With that in mind I'm back to MSE. Slightly elevated protection just isn't worth the hit to performance.

McAfee Internet Security 2014 - 1 User (PC)
McAfee Internet Security 2014 - 1 User (PC) by McAfee (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / Vista Home Basic / XP)
Used & New from: £7.99