Now THAT'S how to write YA fiction!

I've not been so compelled to finish a book for some time. A truly unique idea (that requires some suspension of disbelief) and a growing love story that (maybe occasionally over the top) is sweet, honest and emotive.

Published 14 months ago by K. J. Noyes

This book is a really wonderful look at how a person can live outside of gender and sexuality boundaries. A doesn't even seem to think that it's weird to not think of yourself in terms on these characteristics- they are more worried about how they can live a normal life when every day they are a different person.

When they start a relationship with a girl they...
Published 4 months ago by Lauren James

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating concept, excellent execution. Does not write down to the reader., 1 Oct 2013
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Every Day (Paperback)
Now THAT'S how to write YA fiction!

'A' has spent his whole life in the strange situation of moving around from body to body every day. Each morning he awakes in a new bed. With different parents, a different face in the mirror. For one day. Then he moves on. Only into bodies of the same age. It's fascinating. It's never explained how or why.
We never even come to know if A is a boy or girl. At 16, A finds a connection with a girlfriend of his occupied body and from then on tries to see her each day, wherever and whoever he wakes up as. Can they connect? Can it work?

With unanswered questions I wondered if the book would frustrate me but not at all. I loved it. The insights A gives into becoming a blind person, an illegal immigrant, an addict, a geek, it's all pitched perfectly. As is the ending.

A wonderful read with much to chew over afterwards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking, 19 Nov 2012
S. Shamma "Suad" (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Day (Hardcover)
As is the case with all David Levithan's books, the writing is impeccable. The thoughts are profound, touching and real. And that's the thing with Levithan, he likes to keep it real, but full of emotion.

However, as far as the story goes, it's as unrealistic as it gets. In fact, I found the love story between A and Rhiannon a bit implausible. I don't know if any girl would go for a relationship the likes of this one, instead of telling him/her to leave her the hell alone. I was greatly intrigued by A's story, when he finds Reverend Poole and discovers that there could in fact be an explanation to this strange phenomenon. I would've liked for Levithan to focus a little more on that aspect, rather than focus solely on the romance, and that's where, I feel, he fell short. The whole story, literally from page 1, focused mainly on Rhiannon and how A felt towards her. How he immediately felt a connection and was head over heels in love with her. Everything after that centered on how he was going to see her, when he was going to see her, what he was going to tell her, and so on.

As far as romances go, I liked it. As far as characters go, I thought Levithan did an incredible job (not only with A and Rhiannon, but every other single character). As far as writing, I have no complaints. But as far as plot development, I was hoping for more with regards to A's situation.

That being said, I loved the book, so much so that I could not put it down. At some point it almost felt like reading so many different short stories, because of all the different characters, and the lives and families involved. I also loved A's sacrifice at the end. They say if you really love someone, you would know when to let them go, and I think Levithan here proved to us the true selflessness and true feelings of A towards Rhiannon.

After reading several of Levithan's books and being disappointed, I am happy to finally find one that I actually like!

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is a really wonderful look at how a person can live outside of ..., 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: Every Day (Paperback)

When they start a relationship with a girl they have to face these kind of issues, as she can't accept that A isn't a boy or a girl, isn't straight or gay, but she loves them all the same.

It's a great look at a `long distance' relationship with a twist, and the concept is so unique. I kept thinking about how this would feel for a long time afterwards. You could never have a life or family or read a long book. You could keep a blog, and online friends, but you could never meet them... You could never have kids, but you'd have to look after hundreds of other people's children. It's a scary thought.

As with all of Levithan's books this is really well written and often really funny. It has a very crisp style and you can read the entire book in one sitting without getting bored.
Review posted at lgbt-ya.tumblr.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Not original by any stretch, 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: Every Day (Paperback)
I am not sure why most other reviews think that this is such an original concept. Perhaps they are too young to have seen the TV show Quantum Leap in the late 1980s - from which this is pretty much a direct copy. Well written certainly, but original no.

The author writes so beautifully there are some phrases which feel more like poetry than prose, but it seems that he is not so concerned about writing a story which leaves the reader satisfied. I won't spoil the ending but, like so many other reviewers, it felt to me like an abrupt cop-out. It made no sense within the framework of the story, and was just rather annoying. So many avenues were left unexplored and unexplained.

I explained the premise to my 10 year old, and asked him what he thought would make a satisfying ending. His answer was to find out why A was jumping bodies, and to see that A ended up with the love of his life by the end. Indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Every Day (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, in fact I found it hard to put down. The premise was interesting , the characters were all deep, intelligent and likeable and most of all the feelings throughout we're powerful.
The one qualm I had was the ending left a bit to be desired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Every Day (Kindle Edition)
I think this is very well written and I thoroughly loved it, although I would love to know what happens at the end because it's a bit of an anticlimax...

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Every Day (Kindle Edition)
David Levithan enjoys writing short stories and is good at them, so this format where the narrator switches bodies every day works well in many respects. If you are a very logical person you might find it to be a frustrating read because it does leave a few questions unanswered. But on the whole I enjoyed it. Some of the days were really interesting and others less so. The narrator falls in love wth a girl and tries to figure out a way to stay with her, even while switching bodies every day.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, Rubbish Ending., 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Every Day (Hardcover)
(Source: I won a copy of this book. Thanks to Rachel and Jasprit @ The Readers Den!)
Every Day, A. wakes up in someone else's body. He doesn't know who he'll wake up as, he doesn't know who he'll be tomorrow, and so that's how he lives - jumping from one body to the next, never forming relationships or friendships.

One day A. wakes up as Justin. It is an average day, he goes to school, and there he meets Rhiannon - Justin's girlfriend. A. skips school to be with Rhiannon and they go to the beach. During this one perfect day, he falls in love with her, and when the next day he wakes up as someone else, all he can think about is her.

A. then begins finding ways to visit Rhiannon each day, and tells her his secret. He wants to have a relationship with her, but Justin is still her boyfriend, and he never knows who he'll be from one day to the next.
Can Rhiannon ever learn to love and accept A. no matter which body he is in? Is it fair of him to expect her to? And can they ever have a real relationship?

I did enjoy this book, but I can't say I was happy with the ending.

This is an interesting story, and one that is very thought provoking, but ultimately I couldn't see a happy ending on the cards. While A. was a nice enough person, it was difficult to see how he really thought he could have a real relationship with anyone while this body switching continued to happen. I thought that maybe the reason why this happened to him might have been touched upon, and whether there was any way to stop it, but it was hardly mentioned. Also, if this has happened to him for as long as he can remember - did he ever have a body of his own? Is he a ghost? Again, very little explanation.

I liked Rhiannon, I think she was probably my favourite character. I liked how she accepted A. for who he was, and even tried to have a relationship with him, and I appreciated her honesty.

The different characters that A. woke up as were fairly mixed, and several different issues were hit upon. The storyline as a whole was interesting one, but I just thought certain points weren't touched upon or explored as much as they could be.
The ending was probably my least favourite part. Although A. does do something for Rhiannon which shows his character, I didn't think that the ending was an ending at all. I felt like we could have done with something else actually happening! The ending was just a bit of a dead end. It was like the author got to a point and then said, `can't think what to do next, so we'll just end it here'. Did he reach the word count he was going for and then just stop? This was seriously what it felt like to me, which was a disappointing end to what started as a promising story.

Overall; I loved the idea, but I think more could have been done with it to make this a really great story.
6.5 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real heart-stomper, 5 Jan 2013
Kat (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Day (Hardcover)
It's been nearly two weeks since I finished reading Every Day, and I'm only just now writing my review. Normally, I write my reviews within hours, or at most 2-3 days after finishing a book, as my sieve-like memory kicks in pretty quickly. But it's taken me almost two weeks to think about how to review Every Day, and I'm still thinking about the book and how it made me feel.

Talking about A is difficult, because A doesn't have a gender, or a body. I wouldn't define A as a spirit, or a soul, but as a personality. A sweet, kind personality who does their best in a situation that's completely unimaginable - waking up in a different body every single day from birth. A respects each inhabited body by only accessing the parts of their memories and brains that allow A to function through a day as that person, to know who their parents and friends are, where to go and how to behave in a way that minimises the chances of anyone realising something is wrong.

In the beginning I didn't really 'get' why A was so attracted to Rhiannon, but as the story continued I began to really understand what was happening - after spending a lifetime with no particular attachment to anyone, A experiences an instant attraction, and not having had that experience before, does what most people do - becomes slightly obsessed with the person they have sparked with. And as the story progressed, I grew to like Rhiannon, and honestly felt quite sad for her.

However, Every Day is more than a bittersweet love story - A's experiences in different bodies also highlight how society perceives people based solely on their looks - whether they are fat or thin, white or black, rich or poor, and several of the bodies he inhabited were going through some incredibly tough situations, all of which A also experienced, and how other people reacted to those situations.

And finally, if there wasn't enough to love about this book, there's David Levithan's writing - it's addictive, it's beautiful, it's moving and has definitely made a fan out of me.

Some of my favourite quotes:
''If there's one thing I've learned, it's this: We all want everything to be okay. We don't even wish so much for fantastic or marvelous or outstanding. We will happily settle for okay, because most of the time, okay is enough.''
''This is what love does: It makes you want to rewrite the world. It makes you want to choose the characters, build the scenery, guide the plot. The person you love sits across from you, and you want to do everything in your power to make it possible, endlessly possible. And when it's just the two of you, alone in a room, you can pretend that this is how it is, this is how it will be.''

5.0 out of 5 stars Must be made into a movie!, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: Every Day (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic story which I just had to finish in one sitting. I think I must have met A once when i was a little younger... A perfect example of successful contemporary young adult writing and the kind of book that I really hope to see adapted as a movie. Read it immediately!

Every Day