If you're a keen cyclist like me you'll almost certainly have a mobile phone, and are concerned about keeping it safe and water-tight, but accessible when you're out and about. Ideally, like me, you'd like to be able to use the phone while on the bike - maybe to listen to music or use the built in SAT NAV.

Personally I've bought (and since sold on eBay) two...
Published 4 months ago by John Ryan

Samsung Galaxy Note : - Does not Show all screen - top area is cut off for silly BTR ADVERT. This is the Larger Model.

** The Large Bag clear Plastic display area is actually SHORTER than the Medium Model, Large its just WIDER... STUPID !!!!

Published 1 month ago by Uotinam

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed, well built mobile phone bike case. It's permanently attached to my bike now!, 26 July 2014

Personally I've bought (and since sold on eBay) two hard cases to cover first my iPhone 4 and then an iPhone 5. The problem is, they're typically "tailored to fit", which means if you change your phone, you need to replace the case, and then find another.

That is, until now. Here's why....

What is it?
--------------
This Mobile Phone Bike Case from BTR is a fabric and semi-rigid plastic mobile phone bike case. Best of all, in addition to coming in three sizes (Small, Medium and Large), it's not a hard plastic "fitted" case, so unless you replace your phone with a MUCH larger or smaller one, it'll still be useful long into the future.

In short, it will fit any mobile up to a 5 inch screen (see below for a list).

What's it like?
----------------
In a word, fantastic!

The case is designed to sit on the cross-bar just behind the handle-bars (so not suitable for a woman's bike), and is incredibly well made from what appears to be excellent quality materials. The entire top of the case is secured by two zips (great touch!) which flop forward revealing a combination of padding, velcro and an elasticated strip inside. This holds your phone firmly but gently in place, and is secured by a thick velcro strap.

Once inside, the phone is clearly visible through the relatively tough transparent plastic case, and you can even control the touch-sensitive surface of the phone.

It has a semi-rigid base, and is attached to the bike with three extra long velcro straps, two around the cross-bar, the other around the handle-bar stem.

It has two compartments, the top one (with the plastic visible screen) for your phone, and the underside for keys, an allen key or energy bars etc.

As an additional extra, it comes with a supplied headphone extension cable which is passed through a water-resistant rubber grommet. Effectively, this means you can even listen to music on your mobile while keeping the phone secure and dry. Furthermore, in the event (like me) you fall off while mountain biking, your phone won't be damaged unless it takes a direct hit (which in that position on the bike is highly unlikely).

I tested it on both a Specialized Comp XC mountain bike, and a Trek 1.2 lightweight road racer.

While it fitted perfectly (with velcro to spare) on the road racer, my mountain bike has a particularly chunky design around the frame, and the third velcro strap around the handlebar stem wasn't long enough. Having said that, I took it out for two hours last weekend on a teeth-rattling off-road session with just the two straps attached, and it didn't budge an inch.

What phone will it work with?
-------------------------------------
Ironically, my only real criticism of this bag is not the bag itself but the information supplied. I think you need to know EXACTLY what phones it will work with so you can buy with confidence. I personally tested it with a number of phones, in addition to looking at what other reviewers have already said, and the list (for the SMALL case), so far includes:-

Small Size:
-----------
* iPhone 3G and 3GS
* iPhone 4G and 4GS
* iphone 5
* iPhone 5S
* Google Nexus 5 (a close fit - but fine)
* Moto G

* Samsung Galaxy S4
* HTC One M7

Large Size:
-----------
All the medium size phones plus "phablets" including:-

* Apple iPhone 6 PLUS (the bigger of the two)
* Samsung Galaxy Note 2
* Samsung Galaxy Note 3
* Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Large
* Samsung Galaxy Note Edge - Large.

Is it waterproof?
-----------------------
Personally, I'd not cycle off the end of a pier to find out - although if I did, my smartphone would be the last thing I'd worry about.

What I can say, is it's clearly been well designed with water-resistant nylon fabric, and tough plastic material. Looking through the existing 50 reviews, I'd say most people agreed with me, it was "water resistant". One reviewer helpfully indicated it'd be fine in light drizzle, but when he took it out in an absolute down-pour, there was a tiny bit of moisture inside the bag - but not enough to risk the phone.

Like other reviewers, I did a "hose-pipe" test, and a piece of kitchen paper inside was still dry after a few minutes soaking.

Just apply some common sense.

What's Good about it?
----------------------
* Water-resistent fabric which should keep your phone and valuables safe and dry
* Three velcro straps held the bag firmly in place despite a huge off-road bone-rattling ride
* Well designed and excellent build quality - you can navigate using the built in bike GPS and have the phone in front of you
* The addition of the headphone cable extension is a brilliant feature!

What's not so good?
----------------------------
* I found the (rather unusual) frame design of my Specialized Comp XC mountain bike meant I could only attached two of the three velcro straps. Having said that, it held the bag firmly in place - so more an observation for improvement rather than a criticism.
* It doesn't make tea!

Otherwise I love it!

Conclusion
------------
This is a well well thought out and well designed mobile phone bike case at an incredible price. The fact it fits a huge range of phones (meaning it'll be useful when you upgrade yours) is a huge bonus.

Highly Recommended.

Disclosure: I was kindly sent this by the manufacturer to give an independent unbiased review. Having said that, it's a pleasure to test products so well made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great handlebar/phone bag, 11 July 2014
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
BTR have kindly sent me quite a few different biking items to test out and review and this is one of them . . .

This is the medium sized handlebar/phone bag which attaches easily to your bike via three velcro straps which hold it in place well.

The bag as ever with the last few BTR bags I have checked out seem well made from water reistant nylon. It has two compartments, one being a phone holder a hard shell like bottom and front forward facing side to it. The two inner side walls are padded affording some protection for the contents. The front panel that takes your mobile phone has a clear plastic window which is capacitive and enables you to still use your touch screen phone which is brilliant!

The dimensions of this bag are - main compartment 6 x 3 inches and phone compartment 5 x 3 inches.

The underside of your mobile is protected from the contents of this bag by two thick padded sections which also velcro your phone in safely and securely.

In use this is a really good bag which gives you full access to your smart phone and therefore built in sat nav.

What can you get in this bag? - puncture outfit, spare innertube and tyre levers at a squeeze. I know for certain I could get a roast pork and stuffing sandwich in here and my housekeys.

Nice little bag, recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy Note : - Does not Show all screen - top area is cut off for silly BTR ADVERT EPIC FAIL !!!!!, 7 Nov 2014
This review is from: BTR Bicycle Top Tube Frame Cycling Pannier Bike Bag & Mobile Phone Holder / Mount - Water Resistant (Misc.)

I purchased 4 Bags - 1 x Large, 3 x Medium and yes its true the Large bag is WIDE and not as long on the screen so a FAIL.

I have a NOTE 2 - (Without protection cover) Well the rest of the bag is great apart from if you have a Samsung Galaxy NOTE you will not see the top area of the phone - IE - TIME , SMS,EMAILS, MISSED CALLS, or even access to slide down menu.

Its a real shame, if they reduced the silly top area of the bag with a SMALL BTR advert would have been perfect. Not just annoyed each time I look down at the screen, the BTR Large White Writing also 2 distracting- (Suggestion is use a BLACK MARKER to cover)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but not quite perfect, 27 Nov 2014
Good product but not quite perfect. It didn't fit well on the top tube because my bike is a traditional tourer and the frame tubing is too thin to support the bag properly, and also the bag's straps can't cope with such tubing (not long enough to wrap around enough times to still line up the velcro bits). After a lot of wondering how to change the straps so as to be able to fit on the handlebar stem (the straps are the wrong way round for this and still the wrong size) I made a bracket to fit securely on the handlebar stem and made sure the bracket was wide enough for the bag straps to work properly.... Phew. After all that, the bag was perfect. If you either have a mountain bike (wide tubes) or you don't mind making up little aluminium brackets then this is a great product. No problems at all with the bag itself. Used it on a 300 mile weekend sat-nav extravaganza without any issues at all.

2 final points to consider:
1) I can't say I was inclined to test how waterproof it really was, and since I was relying on my phone and since it rained heavily all weekend I took the precaution of fitting a plastic bag over it. It didn't affect the usability in any way -- but it would be nice to know if anyone really can vouch for how waterproof it is.
2) My phone lasts about 4 hours when doing sat-nav with the screen on all the time. Because I used it for 12+ hours a day I connected it to a battery inside the bag. So, when you're sizing the bag up with regard the size of your phone REMEMBER that if you want to plug a USB charger in you need more room. I have a Motorola Moto-G and I used a right-angled micro USB plug with the medium sized bag. Absolutely fine. The small sized bag which I bought first was just big enough for the phone but there was no way a USB plug was going to fit too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bag, 17 Nov 2014
Mr. C. W. Curtis "Chris Curtis" (Norfolk U.K) - See all my reviews
I purchased the small size and use it with an un-cased iphone 5. This leaves plenty of room and you could probably easily fit a cased iphone 5. I've tried mine in a griffin defender (probably one of the bulkiest) and it does fit at a push though would probably strain the stitches/seams over time.
The phone screen works perfectly through the clear top of the bag. Obviously you need bare fingers or the conductive gloves as you would anyway.
In the section underneath I store a couple of gels and a portable phone recharge kit with room to spare. You could easily fit a multi tool and puncture kit too but I keep those with an inner tube on my seat bag. My only criticism is that the position of the bag on my bike puts the phone in a reasonable position for quick glances but not good if you need to operate the phone by hand and therefore have a longer look. You end up looking quite downwards and therefore a longest from the road ahead. It's also quite an awkward wrist position to operate the phone with your forefinger and often end up using my thumb which adds to the inaccuracy and therefore increases the time looking down and not ahead.
This aside it is an excellent little bag which once fitted stays in place and appears well made and durable. Also nice idea to include the headphone connector and waterproof grommet.
I accept my criticisms may be due to my frame and set up and/or are generic problems of any bag placed on the crossbar at the headset and therefore not worth removing a star.
I personally have not had problems with my knees hitting the bag but this may be as mine is the small bag.
Overall I am more than happy with this item and would happily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone display with a TARDIS storage bag, 24 Sep 2014
T. Hughes "Narf" (Cannock, UK) - See all my reviews
As I've just taken up mountain biking, I wanted something that could hold my phone in a way I could see the trail maps uploaded onto it, so I could use GPS to follow them. It needed to be rugged enough for a novice off-roader but not too expensive and this looked like it fitted the bill.

I got the large version as I have a Note 3, which fits perfectly. Or rather, it fits perfectly without the case, otherwise it's a very tight squeeze the extra few mm around the edges make all the difference. The plastic screen does tend to reflect the light at times, but the touch screen works superbly though it with no issues whatsoever.

The bag itself is nice and big, bigger than you'd first think. I keep a puncture repair kit in there and my keys when I out and about and it's still more than half empty. Room enough to put a bike maintenance multi toolkit in there too.

The outlet for headphones in a nice touch and well designed to keep it waterproof. I did have concerns given the headphone socket on my phone is at the top, but the headphone extension cable that comes with it is long enough to compensate.

It attaches to the bike using three velcro straps, two on the frame and one round the handlebars to prevent forward/backward or sideways movement. Sitting fitting it, I've not had to make any adjustments, even though the bike is roof mounted on my car, so they're certainly strong.

I'm really happy with this purchase, it does everything I wanted it to with storage space to spare. Take the case off my phone is a minor annoyance, but isn't completely necessary and only takes a couple of seconds, so is far from being a deal breaker. I'm trying to persuade my wife to take up cycling, if she does, I'll certainly be buying another one of these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic frame bag for the price., 20 Aug 2014
Bought this phone holder and bag for a recent trip to Pembrokeshire, as I was cycling roads I wasn't familiar with and wanted to see the route on my phone whilst cycling along.

It worked perfectly, the fit on the frame was good, touch screen worked well and the screen was clear enough for me to see. The bag itself has plenty of room and didn't get in the way whilst I was pedalling. I didn't try out the headphone extension, but everything looked to be in order. Even during heavy rain the back kept everything dry, my only slight gripe would be that after it rained there was some condensation on the inside of the viewing area, but not that it caused any problems with my phone or ability to use the bag

I do a lot of long distance cycling, and will certainly be using this on my rides in the future.

I used this with an LG G2, so quite a large phone and the medium size was perfect.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned. Not as described., 25 Nov 2014
The description is wrong. There are 2 velcro straps, not 3 as described. This is important as the 3rd strap would go around the headstock. In place of the 3rd is an elastic drawstring, which doesn't stop it falling over.
The small does fit an iPhone 5 though, so long as it isn't in a case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful little bag., 17 Nov 2014
G. P. Thompson "Graham Thompson" (Peterborough UK) - See all my reviews
Nice little frame top bag. As my top tube tapers from the head I had to adjust the Velcro on the back strap to get more contact area. But this bag does what I want it to do perfectly well. I bought the small bag which holds my iPhone 5C which has a sleeve on it. The phone is easy to put into the lid after unzipping and is held firmly in place allowing easy use of the touch screen.

There is enough room inside to hold a few tools/granola bars and a set of keys etc. I mainly use it to store my one piece glasses in as I break and scratch so many pairs leaving them in the pannier. If you want to carry a couple of tubes and puncture repair stuff as well, you may want to go bigger.

Not really had it in heavy rain yet but I would say it is fairly water resistant but nothing with exposed zips is going to be fully waterproof.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - straps need improvements (Snug fit for Galaxy S5), 1 Nov 2014
I have a samsung S5, which is a snug fit. I use this daily for commuting to work and had used it on a 66mile ride. On the long ride it was particularly useful to access my phones Sat Nav.

Things to look out for are:
1) It does wobble about a bit and if standing up and ridding knocks against your legs. I may make a custom mod for the wobble with by shortening the Velcro straps

2) The light sensor for the Samsung sometimes gets obstructed by the the top part of the screen cover, which turns the screen off. Again for the longer rides I tried padding the top to prevent this.

Overall for the money its good, I can store lots of energy gels and utils for my phone including keys, meaning I don't have to carry a backpack.

Thanks