5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!
Brilliantly written and a must-have for any Simpsons fan! Easy to dip in and out of and it really gives you an insight into the fascinating world of Maths. Some really funny jokes and some really interesting facts. The stuff about infinity is especially interesting!

Great for all ages! My Son is especially enjoying it as he is studying A-Level Maths and a lot...
Published 10 months ago by Susie Robertson

3.0 out of 5 stars Runs out of steam
I like Simon Singh. I love Maths. I love The Simpsons.
For a while, this is an interesting and engaging idea, but sadly he just didn't have enough material for a whole book. I don't mind that Singh branches off into Futurama - it's from the same stable, that's fair enough, but I do mind the repetition. You know those TV programs (usually reality or makeover shows)...
Published 7 months ago by GVI Gary

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Can be brain twisting, 7 Feb 2014
Deepak (Wolves, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Simpsons and Their Mathematical Secrets (Kindle Edition)
The book is well written and, apart from explaining the maths, also gives insight into the authors of The Simpsons. I haven't been a Simpsons fan but I might take to watching them now. Whether I'll spot the clever maths references, well I doubt that as many appear to be at post-graduate level of maths. Simon Singh does explain the maths well (what the maths did in real life) but even then I found some difficult to understand. So, in some ways, a heavy read. Something I would read a chapter or two then read something lighter before returning to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to some mathematical concepts, 5 Feb 2014
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Simon Singh's book on Fermat's Last Theorem was one of the triggers when I was a teenager that led me to studying mathematics at university. With this book he returns to the world of maths, explaining various principles, ideas and theorems using events from episodes of TV series The Simpsons as launching points.

It's very different from his Fermat book, and from The Code Book, in that there isn't a narrative the flows through the book, each chapter can be read alone and covers a separate idea. As a mathematician, there was little new, although it was interesting to read the mini-biographies of the writers behind the Simpsons (and Futurama) and there were some fascinating things that I'd not read about before.

The book is well written for an audience that doesn't have a background in maths, and uses The Simpsons well to explain a variety of mathematical ideas in an easy to understand manner - there's nothing here that you'd need more than a basic knowledge of numbers to follow at least the principles of, and I think it will easily pique the interest of younger readers just as his earlier book did for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars simpson fans + people that love maths = perfect gifts, 27 Jan 2014
Bought this for my 13 year old son who adores maths. He loves it. The writing is accessible to help with the maths...my son is aiming for an A grade GCSE and he is understanding it easily. Perfect gift for adults to remind them of the theories

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun book, 27 Jan 2014
Another well written book by Simon Singh. Fun, clearly written and well explained background to the jokes incorporated into the episodes. Well worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting book, 26 Jan 2014
Fantastic, especially if you love maths, tells you so much you would never have even thought of otherwise. This was a great read for me, really enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read., 26 Jan 2014
D. Thompson - See all my reviews
I bought this for some light reading during a trip to darkest Finland, and finished it in 3 days; filled with humour and fascinating insights into the creative process behind the Simpsons, it also contained a huge and varied amount of quite challenging maths - who knew that there are different types of infinity, some of which are bigger than others!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it., 21 Jan 2014
Excellent read. It's a perfect blend of geeky mathematics, jokes and facts you never knew about the Simpons. Really well written:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand even without mathematical qualifications, 19 Jan 2014
Everything about this book is a pleasure to read. It is the first time that I have dabbled in the world of mathematical literature but the content of this book was both enlightening and readable

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for maths geeks, 19 Jan 2014
I always enjoyed the way the Simpsons would take on some of life's big questions in a humorous way, but being a maths geek have found a whole new level of enjoyment that will make me watch them all again.

The book gives the background of the writers of the Simpsons and in the later part Futurama which is interesting in itself.

The secrets are not only revealed, but the maths is clearly explained so we can all enjoy the jokes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a present, 18 Jan 2014
I am not a fan of the Simpsons but from what I read it seemed very interesting. I hope the recipient likes it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›