4.0 out of 5 stars Why does this box even exist?
Published 2 months ago by Inspector Gadget

3.0 out of 5 stars it seemed to run ok but it did slow my laptop down which I wasn't very happy about. Its an "okay" package but you can ...
This wasn't the easiest of software to get installed, I had several problems with trying to download it! When I finally got it to work, it seemed to run ok but it did slow my laptop down which I wasn't very happy about. Its an "okay" package but you can get free protection from AVG.
Published 2 months ago by Nikki

4.0 out of 5 stars Why does this box even exist?, 15 Jun 2014
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: McAfee Internet Security Dual Protection for MAC and Windows 2014 - 1 User (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
McAfee obviously do no have environmental concerns. There's no physical disc inside this package, just a card to verify a software download. In a world of cloud storage I guess this is the way forward, but why exactly do we need the box if that is the case? It's not even like it's in a DVD Amaray case that you can recycle. It means you need your laptop/computer to be connected to the Internet for that to happen instead of just installing from a CD or USB.

The software is as reliable as ever with McAfee, it ain't the best out there but it's good at what it does in terms of parental controls, firewall, and dead software clean-up (which I really needed). Once it's up and running it's non-intrusive and provides security and safety without you even knowing that it's operating. The package does work with PC and MAC, but MAC only gets the Internet security and none of the extras (MACS are not as prone to Internet danger anyway).

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you would expect from McAfee., 17 Aug 2014
Karen Baxter (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first started using a home PC (which was many, many years ago) most viruses arrived onto your computer via floppy disks, especially third party floppies and those copied from computer to computer, they were fairly easy to remove by either deleting various
pieces of code or by purchasing either Norton Securities or McAfee and installing them onto your computer via floppy disks.

Then with the advent of internet access more and more threats to your PC became widespread and the security of your data became more precarious. Internet Security programs were launched by various companies (the most well known being Norton's and McAfee), whichever one of these giants you started with usually meant that you would stick with them throughout the years purchasing and installing the many upgrades and new programs as they became available.

I was a McAfee user then and now, so I was pleased to trial and review this latest program McAfee Internet Security Dual Protection for Mac and Windows 2014. Not being a Mac user I can only review the Windows element.

The first thing I tried after installing was the quickclean software which helps to remove the clutter from your pc, this certainly seemed to do the job it was designed for. I was suitably impressed with the impressive security software which automatically scans your emails, internet and files to protect you against threats like viruses and Trojans. Any suspicious-looking material is blocked thanks to the Active Protection to keep your computer secure. Equally impressive is the two-way firewall, and safe searching icons that let you know when a website is safe to click on. Top marks must be given for McAfee's anti-bot protection system which prevents your information being sent to cyber criminals.

All in all McAfee Internet Security Dual Protection is exactly what you would expect from a top name in the war against cyber threats to home computer users. Easy to install, simple to use and does the job perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars I use McAffe on my PCs and now my Mac, 2 May 2014
Paul Stewart "Paul Stewart" (Stocklinch, Somerset) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thoroughly trust McAfee to keep my PCs secure and virus free while browsing.

A friend kept boasting that he did not need anti-virus software on his MAC as there were no viruses 'in the wild' for MACs. Then he caught one! He had to take it to a MAC specialist to be cleaned.

This McAfee package would have protected his MAC as well as my PC and laptop.

Although it works with a MAC, it is just the anti-virus suite.

On my PC, it is the full package including Firewall and virtual keyboard. I love the virtual keyboard when logging onto my bank's website. My key presses cannot be intercepted.

I was pleased that McAfee have simplified the user interface. Previous versions of Kaspersky internet security had become quite intimidating. I run a resource monitoring program on my windows sidebar. There was no increase in resource usage after installing this software, excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Standard anti-virus software with a twist, 16 April 2014
Dr. Paul Ell (NI, UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well the twist is that the software runs on both a Mac and Windows machine so it covers two bases which is good plus the interface is more or less identical. No doubt anti-virus software is vital for Windows machines. I'm less certain about this for Macs and have never discovered a virus on any of my Macs. Better safe than sorry though.

Others have commented on the lack of a CD contained in the pack but with fewer and fewer machines having DVD readers I think this makes sense. I only have a rather old PC that has the capability to use a DVD. The software seems to do the job though I have a feeling that all the main stream anti-virus software will provide the protection you need.

The only problem I have with McAfee is that I have recurrent problems trying to register new software. I find the registration system clunky and am often asked to pay for the product I have a registration code for! Installation of this software was no different so a star is dropped for this. I wish they'd wipe their database and just let users install the software rather than wanting your details registered so they can sell you more products in the future.

Overall a reasonable choice of software especially for Mac and PC users.

4.0 out of 5 stars Safe and secure, 26 Feb 2014
Mr. Stephen Redman (York England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This package continues to be great value and totally safe. I am personally convinced that there is no product on the market in this category that will give you a safer experience of computing. Anti-virus, firewall, anti-spam, anti-spyware -all are taken care of with McAfee's expertise and reputation behind it.

The only reason I haven't given 5 stars (and I would have proffered 4.5) is that the user interface is neither friendly or modern. Offering the same user interface screen as McAfee Total Protection, it seems poor compared with previous versions and certainly behind Kaspersky and Norton. Having said that, the idea is that you shouldn't be looking at it all the time, and the real plus is the speed it works at and the limited difference it makes to the speed of your pc.

Some people will ask what is the difference between this product and McAfee Total Protection? The answer is not a lot - primarily the latter offers data encryption as an added level of security on your machine. If you want to encrypt then pay the small difference, otherwise get this product.

This product has the added advantage of being able to be used on a Mac

My advice is don't mess around with unheard of brands. You know McAfee is safe and secure, so just buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as described..., 16 July 2014
M. S. Richards "twitchwilliams" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unfortunately, there's a lot of packaging for what amounts to a card with a code number on it (no physical media, here, so you will need to be connected to the internet from the get-go), but really easy to install and use. As you would expect, by now, from McAfee: this does exactly what it's supposed to

4.0 out of 5 stars single, 14 July 2014
Victor Preston "gvb" (birmingham, west mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
a decent security program but this only has cover for one pc
these days family cover is preferred by most people
especially as this has dual protection and it is windows and mac friendly
this is only fine if you are young, free and single

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Experience, 13 July 2014
Kindle Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used many internet security packages over the years with very mixed experiences. So far, (fingers crossed) this has been the best. I am rating this based on my computer use experience. I have an oldish, slowish lap top and my biggest frustration is having it slow down to run security checks whenever it is most inconvenient. This one does not seem to slow the lap top at all, and I never notice it running. I have had no security issues, I get warnings about web sites every now and then and it seems to be working well. For me the best thing about this programme is that I never think about it. It is completely invisible in the background.

5.0 out of 5 stars A name to trust, 6 July 2014
Mr. K. Cross "keithcelt2" (Wales) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Easy to install: I was surprised that the box contained no disc, but a card with a registration code. Simple! But why, oh why the excessive packaging for that? It runs un-noticed in the background, doing its work, & seems to do a good job. McAfee is a name I trust, & this product has done nothing to change that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems decent., 2 July 2014
Stucumber "Stucumber" (N. Wales) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As many have noted, there is no physical product within the box, only a couple of cards with download codes. I can understand the need to have a boxed product as it needs to compete for shelf space with other AV products; that said an internet purchase could dispense with the box altogether, though without a physical product I'm not sure this would be available on Amazon.

As to the product: download and installation are very easy; at least they were on my Windows 8 machine. It only took a few minutes and everything was set up with little fuss.

An initial run found a couple of trojans that AVG had missed, though I tend to find this is always the case when swapping from one AV to another. My computer does seem a little slower for a few minutes after start up, however, in general, I've noticed little, or no, adverse slow down over AVG.

McAfee will also protect you from visiting unsecure or suspicious sites (unless you really want to) and has parental controls; this last feature I haven't used as my four-year-old isn't allowed to access the internet on their own.

Having cross-platform AV seems like a good idea, users with both Windows and Mac devices can find one solution for both of their devices.

McAfee Internet Security Dual Protection for MAC and Windows 2014 - 1 User (PC/Mac) by McAfee (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / Vista Home Basic / XP)
45.48