5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Watch
Received this watch yesterday. Good old Amazon delivered it 4 days earlier than promised, great service as usual !!

Published 20 months ago by Melvyn Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Good watch let down by clasp design
The watch functions Ok, my problem is with the strap. The catch design leaves the end of the clasp proud and I find it constantly catching on my clothes, its a Casio solvable problem as the hinge end of the clasp has a different profile and does not catch.
Published 11 months ago by M. Plows

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Watch, 1 Dec. 2013

It is very good looking and not too heavy. Undid the packaging, took it out of the tin, and Whoosh, the hands immediately went to the correct time. The manual is a little long-winded, but very informative and one should have no problems in setting the watch up how one wants it. When received, the battery was showing "mid", so left it under a fluorescent light in the kitchen for a couple of hours, and it was fully charged after.

The strap is the easiest I've ever had to adjust. Instead of the usual pin arrangement, there are small holes in each of the links on the back of the strap. Simply use a small screwdriver and and turn the little screw in the link and Voilà, the adjoining link comes away, as this is spring-loaded, it returns to it's former position without doing anything else.

All in all, a great watch for a very good price, can thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great watch, 1 Dec. 2013
A. Johnson - See all my reviews
Ever since I heard about radio-controlled watches, I've wanted one. When my old watch packed up, it gave me a reason to start looking for something that wouldn't cost the earth. I think this Casio watch is the best value for the features available. It's a good looking watch that comes in at 95 grams and doesn't weigh a ton on your wrist. There's something great about hearing the BBC time signal on the radio and as the final beep sounds, the second hand hits the 12 o'clock position on the watch. Magic - it really works.
Things to know about this watch:
The dial is grey in most lights - it only looks blue in bright light. Personally, I'm OK with this - it still looks good.
The watch comes with a tool for taking links out of the watch strap - you do not need to buy a separate kit of tools for this.
The body of the watch is grey plastic but you will hardly notice it - the watch dial surround and backing plate are stainless steel. I assume Casio have done this to keep the weight down, so the plastic should be seen as a plus.
The watch has the calendar feature - this means that you do not need to adjust the watch for summer time, ends of month date change, leap years etc. The only occasions when it will need adjustment - ever - is when moving time zone. It has 29 time zones built in and I have not yet travelled overseas to see how easy it is to make adjustments.
When I received the watch and took it out of its tin (yes, it comes in a tin) the hands whizzed round and stopped an hour ahead of the actual time (it was set to summer time). Rather than make manual adjustments, I left it overnight to see if it would pick up the radio signal in the early hours and correct itself. In the morning it was showing the correct time and proved that it could pick up the signal quite happily on the window sill.
If you leave the watch in the dark for several hours the LCD display and secondhand stop working (presumably to save power). If you then switch the light on, you will see the secondhand whizz round to the correct time, and the date/day display comes on.
There is a titanium version of this watch which costs £30 more. Unless you want the grey metal look, don't bother with it - it isn't worth the extra.

May 10 2014
Since writing the above review, I have travelled to Australia and back crossing (I think) 13 time zones. Here's what I learned about adjusting the watch for time zones:
- download the Casio manual pdf file for this watch and put it on your iphone, ipad or whatever. Much easier to consult than the small type, small brick like manual that comes with the watch;
- when you are in a new time zone that does not receive a radio signal, follow the instructions for changing your 'home city code'. (The manual does not really say this loud and clear). So if you are starting in the UK, it will say LON. If you arrive in Sydney, Australia, for example, change the home city code to SYD. However, New South Wales uses daytime saving for their winter months, so you need to do one more adjustment for DST. And so on for any other time zone, but I think I am correct in saying, DST is not used by countries in the tropics.
- it's still a brilliant watch and even more of a bargain from when I bought it last year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light in weight, not in features., 25 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Casio WVA-M640TD-1AER Men's Quartz Watch with Grey Dial Analogue - Digital Display and Silver Titanium Case Metal Bracelet (Watch)
Absolutely superb watch - firstly the entire watch weighs just 70 grams as delivered, Each link weighs 1.5 grams, so with four removed for my average-sized wrist means that my watch weighs just 64 grams.

Obviously it keeps perfect time through the radio signal. This is why there is a slim plastic section between the front and rear of the case, although this doesn't detract from the looks.

Removing a link is simple - insert a small flat-bladed screwdriver into the hole on the inside of the link, and twist gently. This releases the link. Replacing a link is just the reverse, and is equally easy.

In low light and at night the second hand stops moving, and the LCD is switched off, but once back in the light, the LCD and sweep second hand are restored.

The hour and minute hands and battens glow in the dark, and I could still make them out after seven hours.

Very happy with the watch and supplier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let me start by setting out MYwatch requirements. During my leisure time I need a, 18 Aug. 2014
Let me start by setting out MY watch requirements. During my leisure time I need a watch that easily tells me that it is nearly 10am. At work (I drive a bus in the UK) I need to know that I take over my next bus at 0954 Hrs. As I work shifts including weekends, the irregular pattern often leaves me stumbling over day and date. Finally, easy to adjust and read.

I thought the last watch I bought (Timex Expedition) answered the above. No. The instruction booklet was incomprehensible. Finally worked out that the simplest of settings involved a procedure like, "In settings mode, press button B, press button A, scroll through the options, if it looks right press buttons A and C in forward or backward sequence, depending on mode/setting required.

Took me 2 evenings to set the watch up! Things seemed good until after a few weeks the digital time is an hour out as BST came along, and presumably after a few buttons were accidentally pressed whilst wearing the thing, the alarm goes off every day at 12:10 pm and I don't know how to turn it off or even cancel it!

With that background, my experience with the Casio WVA- etc.

Arrived promptly, in a very secure metal tin. Put the watch to one side and opened the instruction manual. Odd! Sensibly and logically laid out, in clear English. WELL DONE. With easy confidence I set it up (it does most of it itself) and fine-tuned a couple of things to my taste. Took a few minutes. To remove a couple of links was pure simplicity. 11 out of 10 for set-up.

So what have I now got? The watch is a comfortable fit, easy to put on/off. Large watch face, easy to read day or night, and looks quite blingy, if you know what I mean.

The analogue face easily tells me the general time. The digital display easily tells me the EXACT time. ONE button press tells me the day and date. Press again to cycle back to time. A different ONE button press for full-face light. Pure simplicity.

So far, so good. As they say on the shopping TV channels, "But wait, there's more". This watch maintains accuracy every day by an up-date from the atomic clock. It self adjusts for BST and blinkin' wniter-time. I don't need the manual.

What else. It does Multi Time Zone, countdown and Stop Watch. I don't need it, but apparently it does it. When I need these things, I think an I-Phone app is so much more intuitive and LOUDER.

Sorry this is a long review, but I wanted to explain why this watch is worth 11 out of 10 for me.

Just had a look at the Expedition. It's either just after 7:15pm analogue or 18;17 hours digital. Says it all.

For me this Casio is the best time-piece I've ever bought, and it's light,comfy and looks good. (I don't normally do these reviews but an impressed that this does EXACTLY what I want/need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, 1 Feb. 2014
I only just received this watch, and these are my initial impressions:
Very smart looking, with high quality feel, without being overly flash. Perfect for an every day watch I'd say.
Very clear analogue display, and extremely useful digital display. I also like to be able to see the date clearly, but so many watches have such a small date window that my 60 year old eyes can't read it. With this watch I have no problem. The digital window also serves for alarm time, 24 hour time, stopwatch, etc. Setting any of these is straightforward: the button on the left is used to scroll through each one, then adjustments are made using the buttons on the right. The watch automatically adjusts for BST, and for months with less than 31 days, so no hassle there.
A light weight watch, with an easily adjustable strap, as others have reported in their reviews. I looked at other Casio's with similar features, but the strap was often said to be difficult to adjust, often requiring the assistance of a jeweller. This watch has all the features I was looking for, and the easily adjustable strap was the clincher in my decision to purchase it, as was the good discount from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome watch. Almost perfect feature set. Light, always right - great LED front light and Solar powered!, 19 Sept. 2014
I've had this for 6 months or so now. Great watch. A candidate for the best watch ever made, at least when it comes to real everyday use due to combination of features. Super light and hypo-allergenic (titanium) - you'll hardly notice you're wearing it, even when playing sports. Always correct time due to wave-ceptor - which works brilliantly. Waterproof enough for all normal activities (swimming, baths etc). LED light is really bright - enough so I can find a glass of water at night without turning light on - or see a key hole (if it's really dark). Solar powered! All normal features like world time, stop watch, countdown timer work no-problem. A couple of gripes - the plastic bit around the edge is a bit ugly - doesn't notice much, but for such a nice watch otherwise, the grey plastic is a bit of a shame, given the titanium used on the rest of it. some of the functions like stop watch are a bit tricky to use due to strange choice of button operation (press one button to start and stop - hold it down for reset - OK, but different to a lot of other watches). Hands don't glow much, but with the awesome LED front light (a yellow LED tucked just under the number 6 position), there's no problem reading this in the dark. Screen a bit plasticy and so can suffer scratches. I'd have preferred numbers round the edge, if given a choice, rather than the simple lines. Still, looks quite smart.

I love watches, I've had a lot of them over time, and I think this is an awesome watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Amazing, 4 Mar. 2014
Literally just received this and I can't sing its praises enough - it's excellent!

Firstly, yes the small plastic strips above and below the face do detract slightly from an otherwise very handsome watch, though they are necessary (I'm told) to allow the radio signal through, and you don't notice them really; they don't differ/stand out quite so much as the photo on here.

Other points: the weight is unbelievable! It's so light it almost feels like it must be a non-working display model or something, and it's certainly very unobtrusive to wear in terms of weight or bulk.

As to appearance, it looks expensive and is very smart I'd say without being brash. The slightly dull silver of the titanium is very stylish.

I love the fact that it'll always be right, with things like adjusting for short months and BST things of the past. When you first start using it, you're urged to force a manual synch with the radio, and this was quick and painless, just a button press - in the future it will automatically try to do it once a day without intervention.

The strap/link adjustment is also the easiest to use system I have ever used, far easier than the half-dozen or so metal straps I've had in the past.

Sorry to ramble, I loved it! In short: an outstanding item - whether for yourself or for a gift it will not disappoint (unless you expected a Rolex!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps time!, 21 May 2014
Gordon Old "Headcammer" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Like, you'd hope.
The user interface is not the easiest, but with 100s of functions and only 3 buttons, that's no real surprise. Keep the manual, because you're likely to need it if you cross time zones! It's only because the user interface is hard work this gets less than 5 stars. In terms of build quality, timekeeping, functions, feel, look and value, it's all there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Watch, 24 Dec. 2013
I have just received this watch and it look's fabulous, this is my second radio controlled watch. My other one is a Casio G shock, looked long and at many other makes, some three or four times the price of this one and have come back to Casio for the best value for money.

The strap is so simple to adjust with the tool provided and adjusted it to fit me in a few minutes.

This watch is definitely value for money and looks really good so don't hesitate to buy because you won't be disappointed.

Great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent capability for receiving time signal, 17 April 2014
I live in Malaga, south of Spain, near to Africa and surrounded by mountains (this is why we have so good climate) and far away from the German and UK transmitter. I did not expect to receive the signal to synchronize the watch; however, it takes it with no problem (by night). The watch satisfies all my requirements. Even more, the package included a little tool made of plastic to disassemble the links of the bracelet to fit your wrist. Perfect.