5.0 out of 5 stars You're the One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher
Published 2 months ago by Samantha (The Secret Life of a...

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but felt rushed...
Firstly, I'd like to say that I loved Billy and Me. It had me completely hooked and invested.

You're The One That I Want is easy to follow and the characters are realistic.

Published 1 month ago by Hazelrah

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but felt rushed..., 5 Jun 2014

You're The One That I Want is easy to follow and the characters are realistic.

The two main POV are a lovely idea - particularly that we only really get to know Robert through the eyes of Ben and Maddy... But I didn't feel there was much narrative change between Ben and Maddy. They both had the same style of writing, which lead me to have to double check who was speaking on several occasions. Maybe it's just down to an intentional similarity in those characters, because I think if Robert had had his own chapters, this would have been remedied. (Although that would have taken away the silent understanding you get of Robert and his feelings and decisions) - which was a lovely thing.

I didnt feel much sympathy or empathy for Ben. You could say that I am just Team Rob, but to be honest I missed the confusion of liking both characters. That's probably a personal preference though.

Also the repetition at the end wasn't necessary. Those pages could have been used to explore the wedding day further, rather than a direct repeat of the beginning of the book. Same with the Ben chapter that follows.

I did enjoy the book, all in all. I was just disappointed that after Billy and Me, this book felt a bit rushed... A bit in need of another draft. Maybe that's just second book syndrome. Or maybe it's just personal preference for what I think could have been done.

I shall await the next book :) I'm sure it will blow this one out of the water, and be back to the standards of Billy and Me.

5.0 out of 5 stars You're the One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher, 22 May 2014
This review is from: You're the One That I Want (Kindle Edition)
So I ended up reading You're the One That I Want a lot sooner than I had originally planned to - mainly because Jess from Jess Hearts Books mentioned in one of her posts that she absolutely loved it, and that was all the motivation I needed to drop everything else I was reading and pick it up. I can't even begin to express how much I loved this book. It was one of those books that kept me up late (even though I had work early the next morning, but I didn't really care) and had me sobbing at the end. And I mean really sobbing, like shoulder-shaking sobs. There were a few moments when I actually had to put the book down and try to stop myself crying.

I'd expected You're the One That I Want to be emotional because it follows three childhood best friends who've grown up and done everything together, and both guys are in love with the girl. But I never expected it to be as emotional as it was. My feeling were all over the place throughout the book and I honestly didn't know who I wanted Maddy to end up with. Both guys had their flaws and their perfect moments, and they were both perfect for Maddy, so my heart was torn.

It follows our three characters (and best friends) Ben, Rob and Maddy as they grow up. Parts of Maddy and Rob's wedding day and the speeches are interspersed throughout the story which added a lot to the story for me and made it even more emotional.

Please don't read the synopsis of this book and go 'Another love triangle?' because I can promise you that you've never read a love triangle quite like this one. This love triangle packs a punch and had me in constant tears. The bond between these three best friends is so strong and so real because all three of these characters care for each other deeply.

Ben fell for Maddy the second he first set eyes on her. He's in love with her but is too scared to admit his feelings in case it changes everything. But on a school trip to Paris when Ben has finally worked up the nerve to tell Maddy about his feelings, Rob realises he likes Maddy and makes his move. Now not only does Ben have to struggle with his feelings for Maddy, he has to see the girl he loves and his best friend together.

I honestly didn't envy Maddy for one second. She has these two amazing friends who both love her, but who both have their flaws, and she has to choose between them. And it's not even that straight forward. There's a hell of a lot that goes on in this book that Maddy has to work through to find out where her heart truly lies and not lose a best friend while she's doing it.

Ben completely stole my heart and I was rooting for him throughout the whole book. I loved Rob too, but Ben was the one who captured me. He's such a sensitive, caring, sweet and lovable character. My heart was breaking for him throughout most of the book, but I was also really happy for Rob. It was all so confusing and emotional.

I loved seeing the journey these three friends went on. From being young kids who ran around climbing trees, to teenagers and their first loves. From independent young adults on their way to university, to adults trying to work out what they want in life. There wasn't a single part of this story that I didn't love and getting to follow Ben, Rob and Maddy on their journey was amazing.

Honestly, I think I sobbed through like the last 5 or so chapters of this book because it got way more emotional at the end. After getting to the epilogue I realise that the way everything turned out was meant to be. The epilogue was perfect and such an emotional end. But that didn't stop those 3 little squeezes at the end from ripping my heart out.

Overall, You're The One That I Want was such a beautiful story about friendship, love and all the emotional turmoil that comes with it. You're The One That I Want is one of the best books I've read in a long time and I'm sure it'll always be a favourite of mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of love and friendship, 2 Jun 2014
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Maddy is standing at the back of the church on her wedding day ready to walk down the aisle. Waiting for her at the end is Rob – the man she’s about to marry. Next to Rob is Ben, Rob’s best man and their best friend. But if it wasn’t Rob waiting for her then there is a high chance it would be Ben.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. I particularly liked that there was so much emotion and feeling within the novel – it grabbed me and touched my heart and I felt such a connection with the story and the characters.

I loved Maddy as a character – she particularly shone from the pages and I found myself really identifying with her and aspects of her life. I liked that we go back in time and see sections of their lives along with things that are happening in the present too, I really loved this idea as I enjoyed learning about what had happened in their past, and it pulled me in further to the story.

Yes this is a love story but the one thing that I think I loved most about this was the BEAUTIFUL friendship between Maddy, Ben and Rob. I loved that they had each other, and that they had always been around for each other – even if there were ups and downs there had always been the friendship as a base for everything else. With the romance I was completely torn between being on Team Rob or Team Ben…and I still am! I had an overwhelming urge for them all to be happy!

You’re The One That I Want is another brilliant story from Giovanna Fletcher. It is full of love, friendship, and is a perfect read for the summer! Buy a copy, relax and enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Teenage angst overload, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: You're the One That I Want (Kindle Edition)
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the plot of the book but the level of teenage angst was a bit much. I really liked the first book Fletcher wrote as it seemed more of an adults book but this I would classify as teen fiction, which isn't really for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars You're The One That I Want, 28 May 2014
K. L. Beeden (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You're the One That I Want (Kindle Edition)
Part angst-ridden love triangle, part friendship beyond measure, this is an emotional read which left me with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.

Maddy, Rob, Ben- this trio of friends have grown up together. Climbing trees, dancing to Hanson, sexual awakening, going to university...seventeen years of friendship are chronicled in You're The One That I Want. The friends are a tripod, reliant on each other to remain standing firm. But is one person always left out when you are part of a three?

It's obvious that You're The One That I Want is a story of friendship and love, but its message runs deeper than that. It demonstrates how certain people become so engrained in your life that you can't imagine you could ever live without them. People who you compromise yourself for. People who you truly want to be happy. Maddy, Rob and Ben have the tightest of friendships and that is what stood out most about this book to me. There were times I wanted to scream at them to realise how lucky they were to have each other, because as a reader looking in I could see just how much they all relied on each other.

Of course, over a seventeen year period they inevitably hit a few bumps in the road. This is where my heartstrings were tugged and I was torn in two- team Ben or team Rob? I wanted happiness for all of them, but ultimately it was Ben that I related to the most throughout the book.

I absolutely loved the nostalgic element, being transported back to school trips to France (and it seems they always leave at stupid O'clock in the morning, even in fiction), Cotton Eye Joe (Ok, I could have done without reliving that) and exam results day. I felt like I was stepping back to these points in my own life, and although not always happy moments there is much in You're The One That I Want that I found relatable.

As in Billy and Me I did find there were a lot of unnecessary exclamation marks, but that was only a minor irritation in what was a cute and engaging story. Other than that, I loved it.

You're The One That I Want could be viewed as 'just another chick lit book', froth and candyfloss to read on the beach. Don't dismiss it as that. It's a charming and touching novel which touched my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 21 July 2014
This review is from: You're the One That I Want (Kindle Edition)
It was lovely to read this book seeing each characters point of view and having little bits of Roberts wedding speech added between chapters. It was a touching story of love and heart break that you can experience growing up and it was beautifully written! I couldn't put the book down wanting to know what was going to happen next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of character, confidence and the bare naked truth of what love and relationships can really feel like., 27 May 2014
You’re the One That I Want is Giovanna Fletchers second novel, themed around love and romance it is on a whole new level in comparison to her debut novel Billy and Me which is also of the same genre.

You’re the one That I Want follows three best friends, Maddy, Ben and Rob. We happen to meet them at the start of a wedding, their wedding. From the off we know that the Groom is Rob, (even the blurb on the cover will tell you this!) so its no mystery who Maddy is headed down the isle to spend the rest of her life with, but who is it that she really loves and has she made the wrong decision?

Torn between her feelings for both Ben and Rob we are swiftly taken back to their childhood when the three friend also know as ‘the tripod’ were just nine years old, an age where they were too busy climbing trees and getting into trouble to think about love!

The tripods story is told from the perspective of Maddy and Ben taking us on their journey with various moments of Robs wedding speech throughout. The the story really develops from the moment romance sparks within the tripod during a school trip to Paris following them through their teens where they leave their hometown of Peaswood to live at university, this is where things start to get a little messy between the trio and Ben’s hidden feeling become apparent.

Each character is so well written that I found myself very torn on choosing a favourite, overall Maddy was my favourite of the tripod. A strong female antagonist who is realistic, funny and full of charisma. Although she seems fairly level headed and smart throughout she also makes mistakes, she isn’t perfect but learns from this. Seeing Maddy go from strength to strength as things get tough for her I began find a new appreciation for her character and her willingness not to lose her trust in those she loves.

As prospective husbands I think the outcome of the novel was most certainly the right one, I really liked both Ben and Rob for different reasons, and at various moments throughout the book due to their actions I also really disliked them! Some mistakes are just too big to be forgiven but as the saying goes love conquers all.

Verdict

Love triangles are a bit like marmite, not everybody likes them. This particular love triangle however is very easy to like and I found myself transported into a fictional world where the characters had such a strong presence, I was able to lose myself in their world more as the plot thickened.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and would certainly recommend it to others, You’re the One That I Want sees Giovanna’s writing develop immensely and I felt like she had really opened up as an author with this one. Its full of character, confidence and the bare naked truth of what love and relationships can really feel like.

If you’re anything like myself then get the tissues ready, the very touching ending will have you in a blubbering mess, not to mention the many parts in between.

This book also had me prancing around to my very own favourite trio at the single mention of mmmbop, thats right I am a huge Hanson fan, who isn’t? This element managed to make the book seem even more special to me with its many references to 90′s classics and also some cheeky yet very clever references to Gi’s debut novel Billy and Me!

I love the way Gi has gone in full on with this novel and avoided covering it in what I like to call fluff! It isn’t all sunshine and lollipops, its realistic, maybe even a little raunchy and at times really rather intense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
This review is from: You're the One That I Want (Kindle Edition)
I loved reading this book. Such great story line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Downloaded this book for my summer hols - really enjoyed it. It totally exceeded my expectations, 15 July 2014
This review is from: You're the One That I Want (Kindle Edition)
Downloaded this book for my summer hols - really enjoyed it. It totally exceeded my expectations, its more than just a chick lit. My favourite character was Ben, think a lot us will be able to relate to him. Buy it today, you won't regret it. Well done Gio !! Hope you are working on your next one....

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!, 14 July 2014
This review is from: You're the One That I Want (Kindle Edition)
I got hooked, and couldnt put it down! i loved it soooo much! Cant wait for more exciting books to follow! :)

You're the One That I Want