on 7 November 2013
I mainly purchased this to go in my car so I could used my iPhone to Bluetooth music via my car stereo....and this items does exactly that. Sound to me is very good with little back ground hiss. plus as I have a apple charger in my car I can use that to charge this item as well. As a bonus I like the idea of the 30 pin connector to allow you to use Bluetooth on a iPod speaker dock.....however I can not get this to work on my TDK T78927 TAC4324 Bedside Alarm Clock, while the phone connect to the item no music can be heard through the alarm clock. I have the sound up and iPod connection selected but still no music.. It does charge this receiver so I supposed that's a bonus. I tried it on my daughters bed side alarm clock with iPod connector and it works on that so it must be hit and miss as to whether it will work on your dock or not. As other reviews have suggested it will not work on all iPod speaker docks....but via 3.5mm jack works for everything . Thus had to lose a star for the incompatibility issue.
I have previously reviewed the August MR230B Bluetooth audio receiver and this review will be quite similar. . .

This Bluetooth receiver is the MR240B.

In the box you get. . .

- The receiver
- Apple 30 pin to USB charging cable
- Wrist-strap/lanyard
- Instruction manual

This is a Bluetooth receiver which enables you to connect it to any speaker system with a 3.5mm jack socket or Apple 30 pin port, connect to the receiver via Bluetooth and play your music through the speaker system. A Cool gadget.

To charge up you just attach the Apple 30 pin plug into the receiver and the USB end to any USB port. During charging the LED glows red and turns off once charged which took around an hour on mine as it came with charge.

In use I tried it with a sound bar via a 3.5mm socket and an old Ipod docking/speaker station via the 30 pin socket. Switched it on with the side on/off switch, the LED flashed blue/red and then I scanned for Bluetooth devices with my Samsung galaxy note 2. It found it (MR240) in around 2 seconds and I was connected, the LED was now a solid blue indicating a connection. I went through some music in my phone which all sounded good enough to me and not crappy audio quality at all. I also played the Tune In radio app through the receiver and it was spot on. I don't watch much telly and for this alone I found it brilliant.

You could of course play any content on your device such as pod casts, live classical music concerts via the Tune In app, sports commentary, audio books and anything else you can think of.

I had my phone on full volume and it wasn't deafening through the speaker by no means but loud enough. You can of course higher your speaker system up if you wish. The range is around 25ft I found.

There is also a built in microphone which means during use if your phone rings you can take that call without unplugging the receiver.

It's a great little discreet plug and play gadget which will prove very useful pumping heavy rock around our house by the kids I fear.

This was kindly provided to me by the seller for review purposes.

Recommended.
on 19 July 2014
Tech specs:

- Bluetooth 3.0+EDR. Easily paired after holding the power button for a few seconds. Light turns red, password is 0000. Working distance is within Bluetooth standards, 10m.
- Apple 30-pin connector (charging + audio out) and 3.5mm jack (audio out)
- Microphone
- 6.6cm x 36.5cm x 12cm. Small and easily concealed!
- 3.7V 120mAh battery, 2.5h charging time, up to 7 hours of use. The thingy even turns itself off after some minutes of inactivity, even if you don't disconnect your paired device.
- Well-designed housing with Kindle-like rubbery feel.

I have tried (and succeeded with)

- skype phone call; built-in mic did a marvellous job according to my mom.
- listening to music using line-out and/or iPod port.
- charging it with an iPod cradle or the included USB cable.

This gadget is NOT for audiophiles. It doesn't receive any audio in the 1-100Hz frequency band. It's fine for voice, internet radio or something like that, but it would be useless to plug this thing into anything amplified and more expensive than say 60 quid. 5 well-earned stars for an entry-level device with plenty of features and an outstanding design.
on 15 March 2014
But if you use it while charging at the same time then there is some noise interference. Unplug the USB however and it works like a dream. I have it hidden away in the centre console of my car and I can play music from my phone, into my car audio system with no cables showing.
The distributors sent me this Bluetooth receiver to test and review and it does the job very well.

It is fairly compact and light, and well designed with a fold-away 3.5mm jack output for speakers and a cap covering a 30-pin Apple dock to connect to an iPhone or iPod. I found pairing simple and the range very good - up to at least 5 metres with good penetration of walls and so on.

I compared the sound using this receiver with a speaker system to the sound from direct connection and I noticed no difference. The output quality is excellent and the volume exactly what I got just using a direct jack-to-jack connection.

The one snag I find with this unit is that you can only charge it via an Apple USB lead. This is provided with the unit, but if you're not an Apple user (I'm not) then you have to take this specific lead with the unit if you're on the move. I would much prefer a standard mini- or micro-USB connector so I didn't need yet another lead. It's a small point, but enough to make this a four star unit for me. Everything else is five star quality, though, and this may not bother you at all.

In short, this is a very good Bluetooth receiver, ideal for Apple users and fine for everyone else, too. Recommended.
on 5 January 2014
I have two older docking connectors designed for iPod classic (one Apple's own) and it does not pass audio through either. I have a newer one (cheapish for iPhone4) and it works fine with that. The 3.5mm connector work fine though.
Otherwise, for the price the device works very well, range fine and audio quality OK. A b-b 3.5mm coupler would be a useful accessory.
on 13 May 2014
I took a gamble on this working with my Klipsch iGroove as i wasn't sure if it would charge - and it doesn't when in the dock - but I've been impressed by the ease of setting up (2 mins to pair with iPod Touches, Samsung MP3 player, Kindle Fire HD and Samsung Galaxy S3), the range is more than adequate for me (10m) and the sound is crystal clear too. I'm more than pleased with it.
on 29 May 2014
tried it with a Pure i 10 docking station with the 30 pin connector, connects OK but sound is very low level and very distorted, same when connected to a Panasonic sound system with ipod dock, again exactly the same. works fine when using the 3.5mm jack plug analogue connection to both systems.
jack plug difficult to get out of its secure location.
as a ipod, ipone/ipad dock no good at all, as an analogue connection fine
on 20 July 2015
Not great but it works, doesn't work on the iPod plug, it look like only charges and doesn't take the Bluetooth connection, we end up using it on the "audio in" option although the cable is too short so it hangs at front of the dock
on 18 August 2014
This product didn't make my stereo Bluetooth enabled and once it arrived it was clear that it wouldn't. When I took it out of its bag, I lined up a laptop, a tablet and a phone and none of them readily talked to the device. In fact, the laptop aborted each time I tried to connect. I had to download the drivers more than once and even then it aborted one more time before I abandoned ship and asked to return the product.