5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Book On Elvis' Final Years

3.0 out of 5 stars the Elvis Presley I knew
Published 1 month ago by Ev Hart

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Book On Elvis' Final Years, 27 Sep 2013
This is a highly detailed, very credible and totally entertaining account of a friendship with Elvis that lasted from November 1970 until the end. Full of terrific stories, including Mr Cantwell's memories of visiting Graceland in 1973 and 1976, snowmobiling with The King in January 1976, and watching him in concert in Vegas and in Denver on several occasions, this is well worth the cover price.

On a more serious note, the author dismantles the accusation that both he and his other colleagues in the Denver Police Department knew of Elvis' addiction to prescribed drugs and confronted The King on this issue. Never mind what Red West, Sonny West and Dave Hebler claimed in 1977, this book gives the full story on what really happened.

As a neat bonus, the book features approximately 100 b&w illustrations including some very rare, previously unseen photos from February 1971 and January 1976 (just check the amazing cover shot for a taste of what's on offer).

In brief, 'The Elvis Presley I Knew' will make a valuable addition to any self-respecting Elvis fan's bookshelves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read.., 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Elvis Presley I Knew (Kindle Edition)
Makes a change to read a book about Elvis by someone who knew him but doesn't claim to have been his best friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars why I liked this book and recommend it., 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Elvis Presley I Knew (Kindle Edition)
a good insight into Elvis by some who sounds like he was a genuine friend. Not someone just out to make a fast buck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book with a difference., 1 Dec 2013
Interesting insight from someone not in the "celebrity circuit " . A policeman who perhaps brought some sort of normality into Elvis,s life, with friendship, companionship, a far cry from the hangers on who would no doubt disappear if his career and income disappeared. His death came to soon to benefit long term. Good to read something positive in the last few years of Elvis,s life.

4.0 out of 5 stars The King, 16 Nov 2013
I enjoyed reading this book on the one and only Elvis...its refreshing and honest and dosent try to portray him as anything but a kind hearted decent and extremely talented human being...no one could touch Elvis for sheer charisma and stage presence..this book has many unseen pics and is a joy..well done to the author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 10 Nov 2013
Keeley Smith (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elvis Presley I Knew (Kindle Edition)
I'm a huge Elvis fan and having recently visited Graceland for my graduation I'm always eager to read about Elvis. I swear I was born in the wrong era I would have given anything to see him in concert!

I have to say that this book was great at providing a new insight into the legend that is Elvis! I loved the new pictures that I've never seen before. A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis book, 30 Oct 2013
R. Reeves "roysie" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elvis Presley I Knew (Kindle Edition)
I thought I had read all there was to read about the king but I was wrong this book was a brilliant read and offered a good personal incite Into Elvis and made a change from all the rubbish written about him over the years

5.0 out of 5 stars A different book on the man who has had far more books written about him than anyone else!, 26 Oct 2013
An OK & interesting book! You actually learn some new facts about the modest King & that is getting rare in Elvis books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 10 Jan 2014
J Davies (Falmouth Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elvis Presley I Knew (Kindle Edition)
The guy telling his story, has an amazing story to tell, you here loads of stories about Elvis, good and bad, true and false, this guy, the first time he met Elvis, he was doing security work, and he asked Elvis bodyguards for evidence to prove who they were, he then asked Elvis himself, one of the bodyguards said "don't you know who this is" Robert Cantwell replied, "We've had loads of Elvis lookalikes here tonight, I'm only doing my job" Elvis came back to speak to him later, and told him, that he was doing a fantastic job, Robert even said no to Elvis, and Elvis was shocked, as it had never happened before, Elvis more respect for Robert after that.
Elvis wasn't the most patient man, but he had a heart of gold, and would help anyone, even people he didn't know, great book, it took me a day to read it, I could not put it down, Elvis was an amazing man, and his music lives on

3.0 out of 5 stars the Elvis Presley I knew, 20 July 2014
This review is from: The Elvis Presley I Knew (Kindle Edition)
The book was very short it did shine some light on the people around Elvis we all know he was a generous soul and from Reading this book I felt really sad that he had very few real friends. Considering the pressures on him I'm surprised he remained as well balanced as he was. I suspect his spirituality did a lot to help him through. The book was interesting but not a must buy for Elvis fans in my opinion.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›