Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Red - 2013 Stereo Mix
I'm sure there must a good reason why this album wasn't wasn't given the full 40th Anniversary 5.1 treatment; perhaps having, in essence, just three players didn't provide sufficient opportunities to add enough to the overall sound?

Published 6 months ago by Steve Craddock

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have been a single cd
My sole reason for buying this cd was to get the new Steve Wilson / Fripp 2013 stereo mix as this was the only title not to be remixed when the 40th aniversary series was launched
So what do we get for our £10 ?
Published 14 months ago by KCJ Music

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have been a single cd, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
So what do we get for our £10 ?
Firstly , in support of the first customers review - The CD`s on this set are labelled the wrong way round a unintentional production error no doubt but frustrating none the less.
In my opinion the new stereo mix does not add much to the 30th aniversary mix but is a little easier on the ears and closer to how i remember the original vinyl.
Secondly , this title comes in a slimline double jewel box - not as i was hoping a digi pack to complement the 40th aniversary editions.
The CD booklet is a scaled down version of the one in the 40th aniversary edition with both Roberts notes and Sid Smiths essay reproduced again and offers nothing we do not already have
The extra tracks are differant to amazons listing for this title ,
Disc one ( 30th aniversary mix)
#6 - Providence full version ( taken from the great deceiver)
#7 - Starless - live from Ashbury Park
Disc two ( 2013 stereo mix)
# 6 Red - Trio version
# 7 Fallen Angel - trio version
These trio versions are superb and make this second disc alone well worth the tenner especially if like me you are not bothering with the Road to Red box set.
My overall view is most potential purchasers will have the 30th aniversary version of Red as a stand alone cd and will also have the 40th Aniversary dbl pack - so why give it to us again here ?
A single cd of the new stereo mix and the trio bonus tracks would have been fine, also it would do without the inconvenience of now having to deal with the labelling cock up each time i play the cd.
Still its only a tenner and thats not bad value by comparison for a Steve wilson remix ( are you listening Jethro tull ? )

5.0 out of 5 stars Red - 2013 Stereo Mix, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)

For those of us with humbler configurations, this new mix is fantastic and brings real clarity to the performances - Steven Wilson seems to have an extraordinary gift for enhancing legendary performances and bringing out the heart of the music. The additional, strictly Trio, versions of Red and Fallen Angel were excellent bonuses.

This release convinced me to pick up the other 40th Anniversary editions, replacing my old and well-worn copies, and through these new mixes rediscover music that I thought I knew well. Fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars CD labelling fiasco, 19 Oct 2013
Stephen Risebury (Newcastle upon Tyne, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
Five stars for the musical content, as we know this is as good as it got for the Bruford / Wetton era Crimson. Timeless music which still astounds today.

But what a mess with the packaging!

As mentioned elsewhere in the reviews the discs have been mislabelled, with the Steven Wilson remix on disc one (marked '30th Anniversary edition') and vice versa for disc two.

But now check the US Amazon site (amazon.com) for this product. It is due for release in November, and the product description talks about the SW remix on disc one - I hope their labelling is better than ours!

If this labelling error is rectified with a new pressing in the UK it would be good to know (easy to spot as the bonus tracks will be on the correct discs) - perhaps future purchasers could leave a comment?

4.0 out of 5 stars CDs inverted?, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
Got my copy but I noticed the CDs are inverted. (the one that says original mix is the 2013 mix and vice versa). anyway the 2013 mix sounds much better and cleaner. I wonder why it wasn't included as CD1 on the 40th anniversary edition (the one with the DVD), like the other 40th anniversary editions? (instead CD1 on the 40th anniv. is again the original mix). I guess I now have 3 copies of the original version? (that's including the 30th anniv. one)

Red
Red by King Crimson (Audio CD - 2013)