5.0 out of 5 stars Brief but valuable insight
Published 13 months ago by K. Law

1.0 out of 5 stars trying to be the poster girl for psychosis
Found this very condecending and a puff piece for a psyhologist who thinks she may have had psychosis.Sounds more like someone with a personality disorder but each to their own.Not well written or particularly informative about mental illness.
Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brief but valuable insight, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Learning from the Voices in My Head (TED Books Book 39) (Kindle Edition)
This book is very open and honest, it is also extremely sensible. The author writes from both a subjective and objective viewpoint, she can because she experiences hearing voices and has also studied psychology. She describes what worked for her, but it is clear there are many elements that will also work for others. One of the reviews on the American Amazon site was disappointed with the lack of personal comment on how to manage hearing voices - I disagree, I feel she has given many examples of how to approach the problem and has clearly shown what didn't work as well as what helped.
I was prompted by this book to read further, to explore the hearing Voices Network and to look at the recently published DSM-V. I suggest you also listen to the TED talk given by the author, but don't do that instead of reading the book, do it as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 1 Sep 2013
Susan Ingram - See all my reviews
A great real life example of someone who was developing a relationship with her voices and then people told her they should not be there! That judgement sent her into a spiral of despair and hospitalisation - it wasn't till she decide to enter into conversation and relationship with her voices that she was able to go back to College and 'normal' (whatever that may be!) living. She now an advocate for people who hear voices and having read her story I fully understand why!!! Would give it 5 stars if she spent longer detailing how she evolved a relationship with her voices - would be really interested to learn what she tried and worked for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic reappraisal of the psychiatry of voices, 14 May 2014
Well articulated, thoughtful, strikes an excellent balance between the personal account, history, and science of voice-hearing. Perhaps it's shortfall is in disposing of the schizophrenia diagnosis without addressing other symptoms such as delusional thinking, negative symptoms and cognitive deterioration.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 8 May 2014
She brilliantly articulates what I believe but struggle to say. It is about connections, understanding, sharing, learning, respect and humility

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant. reframed my views about psychiatry and schizophrenia, 6 May 2014
Well written with enough research and quotes to start off more enquiries into this area. A call for change, brimming with hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 21 April 2014
Needs no explanation. Just read this. It is drawn from a heart-based lived experience. It does not require a degree to relate to this beautiful piece of work. The triumph within her narrative is therapy in itself. Nothing trumps this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it, 20 Feb 2014
Makes sense of what my family member is going through. Invaluable. Motivated to help her in a completely different approach. Everything we've been doing before is wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read for anyone, 2 Feb 2014
Excellent book! Very interesting! Each page makes you want to read on to the next. Whether your interested in mental health or a good understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking read, 27 Jan 2014
Lucy Giles (Exeter, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I stumbled upon Eleanor Longden's TED talk on Facebook and was fascinated. I have had no personal experience of hearing voices nor to my knowledge have I ever met anyone who hears voices but I found it a compelling read. Many of the points Eleanor raises in relation to diagnoses of schizophrenia could equally be applied to other fissures in society. My only experience of schizophrenia has been through sensationalist media stories and I'm so pleased I took the time to read this book and gain such a powerful insight into the impact trauma has on a person's psyche. I read the book in a couple of hours but it's message will stay with me for a long time to come. It has transformed my views on people struggling to cope with mental illness. It was also a very uplifting book with a central message of the intrinsic value of community and any individual's capacity to triumph over adversity. The contents of this book will stay with me for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars a very good and interesting book, 24 May 2014
Made me think about the patient more not the Illness
Will try to change how I interact with patients at work

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›