5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and practical.
I've only had this book for two weeks, and already I've made three toys: 2 squishy balls, and a sheep. And a third is on the needles: a puppy with a blanket.
There are lots of projects to choose from, the explanations are very clear and the fact that the book is spiral bound, with stiff pages, makes it very easy to use.
A lot of projects only require small...
Published on 17 July 2010 by Willem Verstraeten

3.0 out of 5 stars great ideas
Lovely patterns bvut be warned that the terminology is for American knitters therefore is different to English terminology. I know an English version is available, this one is not it!
Published on 31 July 2010 by Mrs. Susan Hammond

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and practical., 17 July 2010
Willem Verstraeten (Belgium) - See all my reviews
A lot of projects only require small amounts of yarn, so you can use all your leftovers!
Measurements are in inches, almost all projects require knitting in the round on double pointed needles.

Have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than one use for the toys besides children toys, 3 Aug 2010
E. Cottis "cares for cats" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am by far from being an experienced knitter and have never in my life knitted in the round before but have found it easy to learn with this book. I wanted toy patterns but not for children but to knit to make toys for both cats and dogs to help an animal rescue raise money and there are several that can be used for this purpose within the book. I received it a day before was expected and it was a nice surprise. Already I have a toy on the needles ok is nothing hard as decided to do the squishy ball to learn how to knit in the round and in a couple of hours had mastered this technique. I actually lost track of time and have so far found it easy to do. I am looking forward to trying something a bit more complicated the next time around. The instructions are in American terminology but in all honesty they are not that much different to the British terminology. Would have been nice to have British size needles quoted as well but that is easy enough to find out and only delayed me a matter of a few minutes that it took to find out what they were. Is well worth the money whether you are an experienced knitter or have only basic knowledge. I class myself as the latter as have not even picked up any knitting needles for over 20 years but have found what I have done so far easy although I did feel like giving up knitting in the round at the beginning until I got the hang of it. It is spiral bound and the pages are fairly thick making it easy to use and staying on the page you are working from. I bought several books for the purpose stated above and this is the first that I have used to knit something from.

I have seen much more difficult patterns to work from that are written in the British terminology and look forward to being able to knit the more complicated patterns in this book as my knowledge and confidence grows in my knitting ability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Toys in the round, 10 Mar 2011
Most of the patterns in this book knit 'in the round', only the Nesting Boxes and the Penguin are knitted 'back and forth' in the traditional style. However, the Techniques section was good enough for me to want to experiment with this new technique straight away! It does take some getting used to, and the squishiees project is the perfect place to practice. Once mastered, this became my preferred knitting technique and I can now slighly alter a pattern to knit in the round. I do not have a lot of prior knitting experience, but I have found this fairly easy to pick up.

The other main issue with the book is the yarns and needle sizes specified. The needle sizes are American, and can be converted fairly easily. The yarns that are used are quite specific and the main problem is that it does not specify the yarn weight, with the exception of the projects in the 'Sock Yarn Toys' section. The trick to finding the right yarn is to work it out from the needle size to get the right gauge - I have found that most use size 5 (3.75mm) or size 3 (3.25mm) needles and knit up quite well with ordinary DK wool.

The book is well put together with an excellent section on techniques. The photographs of each item are taken from several angles to assist when putting them together and it is also nice enough to sit on your coffee table!

I have enjoyed making toys from this book (2x squishies, monkey, cat and mouse reversible and a hippo in progress) and hope to make many more. All in all, a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 11 Jan 2012
I was given this book as a birthday present and have been absolutely delighted with it. I love knitting in the round and so far had only knitted socks and gloves and wanted something a little more interesting - I now have found the answer to my wishes. My first project was the giraffe which turned out extremely well and because it was knitted in the round, there were less seams to sew up.
I would suggest that anyone having difficulty knitting on four needles should try and persevere. It is worth it in the end, and this book is certainly well worth its money

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for learning to knit, or just for the inspirational patterns, 31 May 2012
I've been re-learning how to knit for about 6 months, and this book has everything I wanted when I first started out - simple, interesting projects building up your skills as you move through & making things you'd actually have a use for. My sister bought it for me as she's expecting her first baby very shortly (and because she fell in love with the toys) so I do have a home for everything I make. My knitting has improved dramatically since starting the book - particularly knitting in the round on dpns, which is something I'd been studiously avoiding - and the explanation of i-cord was so easy. The main advantage of the book though is how lovely the toys are.

I haven't given it 5 stars mainly because it's an American book; which meant I had to google the needle sizes and that some of the yarns were either not available in the uk or very expensive, so you need to spend a little time researching alternatives. Even with this, I would definitely recommend buying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A triumph for toy knitters, 7 April 2010
Beautifully written, carefully presented and most of all full of original and quirky toy designs.

A must for anyone with small children to knit for.

This book takes toy knitting to a newer more modern and exciting level!!

4.0 out of 5 stars toy knitting, 26 Jan 2010
A. Vantvelt (Belgium) - See all my reviews
I was really happy when the book arrived because I had pre ordered it. There aren't many books about knitting toys.
I especially love the reversibles. You can knit a mouse and reverse it into a cat. Also the story about the two sisters (also reversible) is darling. This project is certainly on my waiting list. I must say however that the author mentions that the knitting in the round is for beginners. I know how to knit, but still the knitting in the round is to difficult for me. I will practise some more and then the sisters are my first project of this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars itty biity toys, 5 May 2011
good book. lots of ideas to inspire u, i like the reversible toys, not seen much like them apart from dolls. i want to do quite a few of the patterns order is 1, doll
2, reversible lion/elephant
3,frog /turtle
4,giraffe... cos he looks cuddly
5,hippo
then i will decide what to next!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST BUY, 13 Jan 2011
THIS IS A MUST BUY FOR ANYONE THAT ENJOYS MAKING TOYS THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE EASY TO FOLLOW AND ITS A SPIRAL BOUND BOOK WHICH SAFES HAVING TO KEEP A PATTERN OPEN

3.0 out of 5 stars great ideas, 31 July 2010