Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 November 2013
ok to be honest ,at first listening I thought it was all one track ,but play it on a quality hi fi and this album is the business ,very clever mr numan
on 25 March 2014
It was nice to caught up will Gary Numan because I had not heard much of his new music and I thought it was good and it was different to his early.
on 29 November 2013
I love this album! I think it is my favourite Numan album for years.

Unforgiven is possibly one of my favourite tracks of all time
on 3 January 2014
Back on full form, amazing album.Not stopped playing it since saw him playing at Roundhouse Camden.Buy it and also get Dead Son Rising
on 10 November 2013
The sound of the early years without the cold lyrics. Mature and sometimes painfully frank songs. Awesome. You won't regret buying it.
on 14 September 2014
Really happy with this item. It came in perfect condition and my dad is extremely pleased with it as it was for his birthday :)
on 1 November 2013
are there no songclips to hear? This album is so amazing! Numan is a very talented songwriter! The production is clever made!
VINE VOICEon 26 November 2013
PLEASE don't get me wrong; I LOVE Gary Numan. I have enjoyed his every album from 1978 The Plan and Tubeway Army to DSRising, and yes, I did enjoy all of his phases, even the white funk era, Machine And Soul included. But I found Splinter dull, blunt, monotonous, boring and uninspired. To think Exile and Jagged -not to mention their excellent remixes- were acussed of sameyness and this one has an almost unanimous 5-star rating !!! This is the first time I dislike a GN album. I struggled to listen it from beginning to end, trying to find something I liked, but failed. It was a 55' torture.

This album sounds as if a finished author had penned it; lyrics are chock-full of embarassing self-pity (sound like a guy about to commit suicide) and the music lacks the aggro of recent albums. Guitar and keyboards are no longer prominent in the mix, and instead we get a wall of massive, percussive electronic bottom end intertwined with partially experimental whiney vocals which in another musical context would be otherwise fine and still Numan's very own. Plus it does sound as GN's ad latere Fenton's Artificial Perfect 2 would. Sadly enough these days GN is a crowd pleaser and most of his fanbase hark from the early days of synthpop and prefer Ultravox over angrier, heavier material, so Gary might well continue in this direction from now on. Previous albums had always kicked my butt but I couldn't even get a decent tinnitus from this one.

On a purely sonic standpoint, the cd sound is overall very good, much as I dislike the way it was mixed. Be sure to lower your subwoofer level unless you want your speaker turned into confetti.

I'm afraid I'll have to stop following newer material from this larger-than-life musician and stick to his abundant backcatalogue from now on. Gary I'll always remember you fondly but IMHO he has now totally lost the plot or maybe just followed a path that's not my cuppa anymore.
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2013
Excellent album, another classic from Gary Numan, a must-have for any Numanoid or Numanoid in the making, keep it up Gary!
on 13 January 2014
Havnt bought a Gary Numan CD in years. This is an excellent album and it is no wonder it went into the top 20 in the UK.