5.0 out of 5 stars You've just gotta buy this...!
Gary Numan -Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)

1. I Am Dust - Cracking opener. Menacingly dark rhythm.
2. Here In The Dark - I can imagine this track playing over the closing credits of the next Jason Bourne film. Move over Moby.
Published 9 months ago by Andrew Perks

3.0 out of 5 stars A birlliant but unsatisfying work
I'm a big admirer of Numan's work. I was fascinated by the new musical ideas in Dead Sun Rising and waiting expectantly for Splinter to be a big leap forward.

I am disappointed in the repetition of old ideas but reminded that many artists spend a lifetime trying to nail a single artistic obsession. So while I am frustrated at the lack of radical new direction I...
Published 8 months ago by Ed Kingsley

5.0 out of 5 stars You've just gotta buy this...!, 18 Oct 2013
Andrew Perks (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) (Audio CD)
Gary Numan -Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)

1. I Am Dust - Cracking opener. Menacingly dark rhythm.
3. Everything Comes Down To This - Gary's in deep, dark territory here. This could've been a little shorter, but still sounds great.
4. The Calling - Almost a throwback to Pleasure Principle... Not a bad thing really.
5. Splinter - Title track sees Mr Numan in philosophical/observer mode. "...I see you..."
6. Lost - I love this track. It reminds me of Please Push No More from the Telekon album.
7. Love Hurt Bleed - Industrial meets disco? It works. Fantastic beat. Blood on the dance floor? You bet! Pumping rhythm will get the crowd up and sweaty.
8. A Shadow Falls On Me - The disjointed beats are brilliant. Quite moving too.
9. Where I Can Never Be - Deep and dark again... Great track... Bad place.
10. We're The Unforgiven - The lyrics to this are brilliantly descriptive... Like listening to a five minute episode of Game Of Thrones.
11. Who Are You - The sense of loss runs through most of the tracks on this album. The sentiments in this track leads us beautifully in to...
...12. My Last Day - The album ends on a very touching, sombre and emotional note. Lovely song.

I followed this album's development on Twitter, and so I make no mistake in saying Splinter by Gary Numan is a fantastic album. Totally worthy of 5*. I loved Pure back in 2001, but with Splinter he's taken the thoughts that went into those songs and injected a darkness and love that totally over-powers. It's almost like, at the end of every song (sometimes at the end of every line even) he's going to top himself. Thankfully he doesn't. Just managing to pull himself away from the ledge.
This ranks as one of, if not the best Gary Numan album ever. It's taken 34 years but it was well worth the wait. It has the power to move you physically and emotionally... Internally. Spot on vocals... Brilliant, thoughtful lyrics... Musically... Wow! Produced to perfection by Ade Fenton.
All of the tracks are stand-out. But, my favourites are My Last Day and Lost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Telekon, 18 Oct 2013
For once I am lost for words. I've started my review over and over again, but couldn't add any more than other reviewers have already eloquently written. It is possibly the most complete album Gary has ever released, bridging the gap between 20th and 21st century Numan music. And although the heavier/more up tempo tracks do have elements of NiN and even Rammstein, if it wasn't for Gary those bands wouldn't exist. Where `Love Hurt Bleed' has come from after all these years, god only knows; it maybe one of his finest songs to date.

When all hope appears to be gone from artists from an era that is unrivaled, Gary Numan, against all the odds (and his many critics) releases Splinter and restores my faith in music.

Well done Gary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Original Numan fans, Gary wants you back!, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) (Audio CD)
Cutting to the chase - simply the best album from Gary since the 80's.

As a long term fan of Numan since his electronic heyday I've still kept following but with admittedly a sense of diminishing returns, as his transformation to electronic rocker never quite convinced me consistently (though I still rate "Pure" as a great album, and tracks like "Love and Napalm" from the Sacrifice album showed he can still deliver). There was still talent and the potential of brilliance but other artists filled these genre gaps better in my opinion, so what I wanted was the irresistable strengths I know he still has. With "Splinter" I BELIEVE he's the artist he's portraying the imagery for, and the quality has ramped right up to meld together the best of his electronic side with heavier elements to produce convincing electronic rock. For the first time I can hear traces of Replicas, a hint of Telekon era work but it's all new, all fresh, and the more I listen the more I get it.

Favourite tracks so far are the more uptempo ones, with I am Dust an absolute favourite, also Love Hurt Bleed and Who Are You. The most immediately emotive track for me is Lost.
The more I replay it the more it's convincing me I might be harsh not giving it 5 stars, but as you can see from the other reviews there's plenty of love for it from others.

Welcome back Mr Webb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly Gary Numan's best ever album., 10 Nov 2013
This review is from: Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) (Audio CD)
I cannot express my amazement at this album, as it is without a doubt one of the best album's he has ever released (if indeed, not the best ever).

The songcraft and workmanship on it are at a level i've not seen since his explosion into the charts back in 1979. It is testament to a very accomplished and enduring musician.

I am left completely breathless each time i listen to it. There is not one bad track here. My though's as i listen to each track:

We Are Dust
This a slow burner intro that for me conjours up visions of a future 1979 looking back at things to come (trippy eh?).
The line "We were pulled from the path of least resistance" makes me think of the early Human League track and Tubeway Army. Glorious electronic pioneers of my youth that they both were. It's like Gary is calling the listener back home to the future. Epic.

Here In The Black
Is a thumping power track of pure Numan electronic menace. The whispered lines make my neck hairs stand up. A wall of noise that brings a most glorious keyboard shrill sound, the likes of which i have never heard before, into a chorus that makes me want to weep with joy, it is a tremendous track. This music really moves me. One of my favourites on the album.
Classic Gary Numan. That shrill sound will burn into your brain once heard so be warned.

Everything Comes Down To This
Following on next and placed just right after the last track, this has a real Pleasure Principle vibe to it.
It makes me think of both 'Films' and the title track from Replicas. Gary pulls the speed back in places, and the tempo slips. Like he is holding back a ferocious black dog as it pulls on a lead. Then he lets the collar slip and it charges at you with that killer Numan chorus. I love it.

The Calling
Slowing things up a bit, and changing pace, the throbbing base and subdued vocals of this track takes me into Telekon territory. There are some sugary sweet string sounding synths on it but they are needed to balance out proceedings so far. A little sweetener for the listener after the earth shaking previous two tracks.
I can't help but drawer comparison with 'The Aircrash Bureau'. However, this is firmly a god themed song. Being an firm atheist myself i think i get where Gary is coming from.

Splinter
A very eastern feel to this track. It's packed with stripped back, and raw, emotion. A look at the nature of man,kind the cruelty and horror of how it can be. In the end is there eternal damnation or nothing but endless black?
Some lovely music craft and vocals on this track. Forgive me, as i am not a musician so i cannot put it into technical terms. What i can say with confidence is that it is a very well crafted song and i cannot verbally do this track justice. Just let it flow over you.
This is my favorite song on the album.

Lost
This is a very sad song, Gary's vocals are softened and very emotive. It is also a masterpiece that grows from a quiet beginning to a powerful and somewhat bleak ending.
It's really not my kind of song but i do love this track as it is so good. It's a lovers desperate plea for things to be how they once were but can never be.
This, along with the final track, are deeply personal tracks by Gary.

Love Hurt Bleed
Nine Inch Nails all the way this one. But with that Numan twist, and what is a dynamic mix of the two musically. One you can dance to and revel in Gary's cynical cyber beat.
Picture a crowded goth nightclub in a Matrix style movie. Abd with a chase scene going on through it. A total floor filler for the darkwavers.

A Shadow Falls On Me
Gary's vocals take me right back to the early Tubeway Army days. They take me by surprise each time they start. I thought it was a girl for the first few seconds i originally heard them.
It makes for a very interesting take on the album, with the background synths and echoed high pitched vocals. Weird and wonderful.
A kind of 21st century 'Everyday I Die' although vastly different. Another favorite just for being so original.

Where I Can Never Be
Interesting lyrics. Is it being sung by someone who has passed over? Or a loved one left after a break up? As if they are in effect dead emotionally to the person who has gone on and is living their life. Listen to the words and try and work it out.
It has a keyboard riff that reminds me of 'Closer' by Nine Inch Nails (one of Gary's favorite tracks).

We're The Unforgiven
Strange garbled speech, and another NIN feel at the start. It soon morphs into pure Numan though. The sound of a once proud creed of angels and gods who now
have faded into time. It builds to a lovely classic chorus and wall of distorted guitar accompanied by shrill electronic keyboards.
A real grower for me and another highpoint for this album. I love the ending. What a noise!

Who Are You
I don't know what to make of this track at first then bam! that chorus gets me. Lots of nice sliding synth noises and thumping drums. Fat squelchy electronics then wow, that chorus again. Yep, it's chorus song this one. A little hypnotic and best played at ear bleedingly loud volume.

My Last Day
This is a really beautiful song. Gary sings to his daughters of his last day alive. His hopes, and his dreams for them. His sadness at knowing he cannot be there for them always. As a dad i can totally relate to this when i think of my young son and it makes me fill up each time i hear it.
It's the absolute right song to end the album with. From the powerful cyber machine start that is Numan, through to the human heart and soul that is Gary.

Recommended tracks: Here In The Black, Everything Comes Down to This, Splinter, Lost, My Last Day. But i would pick every track to be honest.

I recommend the delux digipack as you get some remixes, as you will not be able to get enough of this album so will be glad of them. However, they do not match the ones on the album in my opinion but are interesting to hear.

My wife and i are looking forward to the London show this Saturday. My retro purple 'Cars' tee shirt is pressed and ready.It's a thrilling thought to know we will be hearing some of these tracks live for the first time. I think the roof of the Roundhouse is gonna be raised that night. We expect big things of this gig. No pressure then ;).

Gary, you have given the fans old and new a very fine album. "Musically i am just an arranger of noises". Tosh! Do not ever undersell yourself with to modest comments like that again. This is your best album yet and i don't know if you will be able to ever top it.

10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Latest but not the greatest, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) (Audio CD)
I've got everything from Gary Numan and this is interesting and in some way original. I'm a little disappointed with some of the themes and the repetitive ideas. That said I've enjoyed listening to the album and it has grown on me. Worth buying

5.0 out of 5 stars Numan continues to up the game, Best yet?, 15 Oct 2013
Mr. Neil Mitchell "vegasguide" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Gary is like no other artist I know. After the flush of early success in his career in the 1979 and early 80's where he was an innovator he kept on keeping on, didn't rest on his laurels. Continuing to make music and search for the next innovation, (by his own admission, he had some miss album's peppered in with the hits) rather than getting on the treadmill of living off his early success or worse still giving up and being remembered for Cars and Are 'Friends' Electric? he has now arrived at Splinter (Songs from a broken mind).

So before thinking about the music, think about that tanacity, a full 35 years after the release of his first album he is still innovating and wanting to do something better than he has done before.

In Splinter he has achieved just that. A really incredible album that demands to be heard over and over. The variety of sounds on the album is the first thing that struck me, it has a sound theme running through it although none of the songs sound 'samey'. The music is strong, hard, rough, heavy whilst being beautiful and fragile. Above all, I find the sound menacing and un-nerving... I am sure that Movie Producers in Hollywood will listen and be calling on Gary soon. Numan's vocals are as good as ever and I am even hearing things in his voice that he hasn't tried before, a real delight and demonstration of a new found confidence.

This is not an album where it is easy to pull out a stand out track, they are all stand out and with the variety that I mention above, to call out one is to ignore another.

A tour de force. I would go as far as to say, his best yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Already a classic, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) (Audio CD)
Finally the new album from numan has arrived. From the opening seconds of 'i am dust' you can tell that he is back to his best. He has musically been in and out of the wilderness for more than 20 years, but now, thankfully he is back doing what he does better than anyone else on the planet.

Numan has returned. No more the messing about trying to re invent pop songs, he has taken the raw sound he used to have and re invented that instead. Every track has pure numan written all over it.

Stand out track for me is 'A shadow falls on me' which encapsulates numan from the beginning. Its what numan was, is and will be for many years to come.

All in all, a must buy, even for those fans who have been disillusioned in the past (me being one of them)

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and intimate, 14 Oct 2013
This album is an intense and intimate experience. Numan translates the feelings he had during one of the most difficult parts of his life into music that is his, and his alone. It is unmistakably Gary Numan, and yet it is new, fresh, challenging, engrossing and rewarding. There are the tiniest echoes to early works - the young Gary Numan of Cars and Are 'Friends' Electric and others - in the lyrics, the musical elements and the singing style. But this is a mature album - of a man who has seen and experienced much, thought much. Some tracks nearly lose the song in a crashing wall of sounds; others are near ballads of simplicity. This album cannot disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gary Numan is back with a modern masterpiece., 14 Oct 2013
Marc Sutton (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) (Audio CD)
Gary Numan is back with a belter of an album!!! It has taken Gary 7 years to put Splinter together and indeed it has been worth the wait. Garys trademark industrial sound is stamped all over this CD and can rank right up there with any of his work over the last 20 years with deep anthemic choruses on 'Everything Comes Down To This' and 'I Am Dust' and beautifullly sweet melodies on tracks like 'The Calling' and 'Lost', throw in an absolutely stomping killer track like 'Love Hurt Bleed' and you really do have a cracking album. I think Gary possibly leaves the best song till last with the superb 'My Last Day' which starts off with a hauntingly beautiful synth treatment and builds to a crescendo of rattling drums and power synth which would grace the end of any epic disaster/futuristic movie! It is certainly a collection of songs that needs listening too again and again with each listening rewarding you with further enjoyment, I must also mention that this is also one of the best produced Numan albums in years. Gary Numan has never been in better form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Numan album for years., 5 April 2014
This review is from: Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) (Audio CD)
In my humble opinion, this is the best album that Gary has produced in years. I hated all that whispering crap that he put on his last few albums and although a couple of the tracks also have some of this, I still love it. Well done Gary. No more crap please. I was losing hope.

Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)
Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind) by Gary Numan (Audio CD - 2013)