5.0 out of 5 stars Memories reinforced and restored
Published 1 month ago by PJ

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great.
Published 13 months ago by R. Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories reinforced and restored, 5 Oct 2014
This review is from: Another Self Portrait (1969-1971): The Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 (MP3 Download)
Discovered this yesterday and listened to it this morning. Not a great fan of Self Portrait but bought it for the Isle of Wight live recordings which I haven't heard since being there as an 18 year-old in 1969. Absolutely fantastic! I remember being startled but not upset by some of the arrangements at the time but my friends and I came away thinking it was a great concert, although we would have liked more. Although the between songs gaps have been editied out a wee bit in this collection of recordings, no doubt, Dylan spoke very briefly in the Intro and then rattled through the set - and the left sharply at the end with no encore. After 3 years out of the limelight and with a return to the stage in front of 200,000, this seems very understandable. I remember afterwards that the Press (or some elements of it, at least) tried to suggest that he was booed at the end and that fans were disappointed. That has never been my memory of that Sunday night and its great that this album reinforces my recollection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 3 Mar 2014
To buy the CDs is prohibitively expensive but the MP3 version is a bargain! There seem to be two versions on sale at Amazon - one with 20+ tracks and one with 50+ tracks, at the same price, so be careful which you buy. As for the content, it's brilliant. I have followed Dylan since his first LP and although I am still a fan and have seen him many times including in the last year, there is no doubt that his earlier stuff is the most consistently brilliant. This collection is so full of little gems it would take too long to describe them. Do yourself a favour and buy it and sit back and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the best Dylan album?!!!, 30 Nov 2013
commodityfetish (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
This makes fantastic listening. It's hard to judge Dylan after hearing so much over such a long period, but this is making me wonder whether, if all his releases had come out at the start, if this would have been regarded as one of the best. It's great value for money, and when I've played it in my house, people who love and/or hate Dylan all love this. For me, the production is great, the songs/versions are fantastic and the experience of delving into old and new is a complete joy. For a man who must read 'your new material doesn't compare to your old', it must be a great feeling to dip into the back pocket and pull out such a range of songs as this from a two year period. I wonder what's up his other sleeve...

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Album, 24 Nov 2013
I really like this album, even more than the original Self Portrait. The versions of the songs sound really good and many are a bit more "polished" without loosing any of their originality. I listen to it a lot and enjoy it every time!

5.0 out of 5 stars This proves that the original Self Portrait could have been so much better, 3 Sep 2013
I was into country music in the late sixties and couldn't believe it when Bob Dylan brought out Nashville Skyline even hooking up with another hero Johnny Cash for one track (albeit, not the best on the album) then came Self Portrait with great versions of Copper Kettle, Take Me As I Am Or Let Me Go, Let It Be Me, I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know and the great tune Living The Blues but hang on some of the 24 tracks were a little weak. The cover of Paul Simon's The Boxer was terrible as was the live Isle Of Wight version of Like A Rolling Stone , I wasn't too keen on his interpretation of Gotta Travel On Either.
This new release shows that there were plenty of other great unused tracks from the same sessions. Eric Anderson's Thirsty Boots, the traditional Pretty Saro, Bring Me A Little Water ( Cindy ?), Railroad Bill, This Evening So Soon ( Tell Ol' Bill) and lots more included here. There's tracks from the Nashville Skyline and New Morning sessions too, an arguably better version of I Threw It All Away, a brass section added to New Morning and Sign On The Window but the heavy orchestration is removed from many Self Portrait tracks in order to highlight some great playing by David Bromberg on guitar and Al Kooper on keyboards.
Seems that the final production stage of the original release was flawed. This great new release puts it right - in spades. Buy it please you won't regret it.
If you have a bootleg of the Isle Of Wight concert be assured that the official release, offered as a bonus with the deluxe edition sounds much much better

4.0 out of 5 stars A better self portrait, 30 Aug 2013
I've always enjoyed the warm cosy Dylan of Nashville Skyline, New Morning and the few tracks recorded for More Greatest hits but I never have had much time for Self Portrait which sits right in the middle of those albums. As a result this comes as a bit of a revelation - there was a decent version of Self Portrait hiding all along. Some of the tracks here such as Pretty Saro and Spanish Is The Loving Tongue really are lovely and pretty much everything here is an improvement on Self Portrait - even the cover art, which is still awful but not as awful as the other one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stunning Bootleg album, 8 Sep 2013
Ken Willingale (UK) - See all my reviews
Over 50 years this man has very rarely ever put a foot wrong and this album is a prime example of the mastery of Dylan. Far better than the original in my opinion and an absolute pleasure to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dylan at a time of change, 8 Sep 2013
Whatever you think of the original Self Portrait it was undoubtedly a time of great change for the great man as he tried to break away from the tethers of protest that was still dogging his career. Here though we find that the period that he produced the generation of albums of Self Portrait and New Morning was so much more than poor versions of old standards. What is more the Isle of Wight performance showed such bravery in the face of worried and disappointed fans who did not understand why Dylan had to mature and develop to survive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Remastering, 1 Sep 2013
This new Bootleg Vol. 10 of the series is brilliant. It contains loads of different and new versions of songs from Nashville Skyline and the original Self Portrait. Plus the complete Isle of Wight gig lovingly remastered. 53 tracks in all running time 2 hours 8 minutes.
A real gem of a download for £10.99 from Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great., 12 Oct 2013
R. Walker (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have always liked Self Portrait and New Morning so I had great expectations of this set but to be honest I was disappointed. I'd say only a handful of the songs were worth airing. I suppose this is harsh because if a song was not released at the time there was probably a good reason for it so we should not expect great things, but this album had a lot of hype which was misleading.