on 9 October 2014
We bought this because we want to convert all our negatives, prints and transparencies onto digital format - the prints, negatives and slides take up so much room. Does exactly as it says 'on the tin'. Great quality negative and print scans (I haven't tried transparencies yet but I'm sure the Epson Perfection V550 will handle them without problem). We want to make the digital master copies as 'future proof' as possible so are scanning at 48bit and using the Tif image format. One reel of 36 x 35mm negatives work out at just over 5gb.

There are plenty of tweaks that can be made prior to scanning in Professional mode - I haven't bothered with any of the other settings, I'd rather have as much at my fingertips as possible to get the best scan I can. Some people have mentioned that it doesn't come with PhotoPlus Elements but that's not a problem, there are plenty of other photo editing software out there to choose from and we can easily use Gimp if we don't want to pay for one. The stitching software that is included for photos or documents that are larger than A4 in size works well.

If you're trying to decide whether to go for this model or the V370 Photo, the extras like higher optical resolution, Digital Ice for film and DMax make this a worthwhile purchase.
on 15 September 2014
Happy with it so far. The inserts for the negatives are a bit flimsy and need careful handling. The help guide needs a little bit of guessing here and there but otherwise it is proving a useful tool.
on 10 November 2014
had to re-load the software to get instructions on how to scan black & White negatives
on 14 June 2015
Best scanner that I've ever owned, cleans up scratched negatives and slides a treat.
on 25 June 2014
I bought this scanner to scan in my documents and 35mm film negative strips and some photos.

It does a good job. Feels solid out of the box and was easy to set up and install the software.

The software works well, I recommend you use "Professional" mode and save your setting presets for later use.

The scanner comes with a Power supply, UK cable, USB 2.0 cable and two film negative accessories, it can do medium format, 35mm and others.

Scan times are reasonable, for example, two strips of 35mm negatives at 48bit colour, 2400 dpi and Digital ICE enabled takes circa 25 minutes (or about 3½ minutes per negative image). When scanning, it makes high pitched screeching sounds like R2D2 but this is normal. You can hear a clunk now and then as the imaging switches modes.

The Epson website states this has a MCBF (Mean Cycles Between Failure) of 30,000 cycles. An office grade scanner would typically have about 600,000 MCBF for comparisson. The V700 has MCBF of 100,000 and takes 4 35mm strips per cycle, this V550 takes 2 35mm film strips per cycle (depending on cut length of your film strips, but you can also double up per strip to save scan cycles). Given the cost of this V550, it is reasonable, however, it would be better if there was a way to scan more strips side by side, but the upper lamp is only so wide on the lid.

My workflow for image scanning is to use the Epson software to scan to a folder, then in Lightroom using auto import from folder to speed it up for image processing later.

There also is OCR software, this is useful if you wish to digitize all your documents to save a paper mountain. There is no sheet feeder as this is not an "office" grade product but rather a "consumer" grade product.

If you are looking for the power button, it is on the right hand side near the back. It is a soft button switch and not a rocker/radio switch so it could easily be pressed accidently.
If you find you cannot get Digital ICE to work on all images, you have to select (blue border) each frame thumbnail (click "All" button), then check Digital ICE checkbox.

Epson has good reviews compared to Canon on their scanners, this does not supprise me due to having had the Canon consumer experience, their commitment to specs on the consumer end of the market, is seriously lacking. Epson however, are very much committed to the consumer market on quality and specs.

Why not full stars?

1) 30,000 MCBF compared to 100,000+ on the V700
2) Film negative scans are only 2 strips wide for 35mm
3) No designed in storage for accessories (minor annoyance, a slot underneath to store the removable accessoreis would be handy)
4) Power button is a soft power button easily pressed accidently, a larger recess around the button would help prevent this
5) Film strip accessories is fiddly to use for a lot of film negative scanning
on 15 July 2014
I was surprised how good the image quality on my old 35mm slides was. A great improvement on my aging film scanner which it was bought to replace.
on 6 December 2014
Perfect scanner but poor instructions. They should do a manual with more expensive items. Also delivered 1 day late and poorly packed
on 1 February 2014
I chose this scanner because it is one of the few flatbed transparent media scanners available and I have a lot of 120 size b/w negatives ans also 828 size colour slides to scan. So far I have only scanned a few b/w prints and colour slides. The speed is OK and I can scan around 16 slides in 20mins, including selecting the enhancement options and loading the slides. The plastic mask that positions the slides and allows the scanner to figure out the format is fiddly and one can't avoid touching the glass when removing slides. Slides tend to scan with a blue hue, but the software can aut correct that. There seem to be plenty of options for adjusting the colour/ grey shades. It also remembers the last slide number and the next day continues from where one left off. The resolution is good (I turned it down to 2400 dpi) because my slides don't have any finer grain detail than that. Being flat bed there is no discernable distortion.
on 14 January 2016
On the 13th Jan went to Curry's as this was advertised on their web site for £170.99 -not in stock. Went round the corner to Argos who wanted £199.99 -not in stock. Went on line at 1.20pm same day and ordered it through Amazon £169.50 including delivery and it arrived just after 10am this morning 14th Jan. I have been using it since 11.30 am and it is scanning my photos a treat. I can place various size photos on the bed and as long as a leave a gap between each it gives me separate Jpeg images of each photo. Brilliant scanner and even better service from Amazon. I won' waste my fuel in future.
on 9 February 2014
I'm using the v550 to scan old negatives and transparencies mainly. Everything worked first time (OSX Mavericks) which is always a plus point. Scanning to tiff format 3600dpi/48bit is producing some cracking results. In fact the v550 is extracting detail that was completely lost in the original prints (mainly produced by low cost processors like Truprint at the time). The bundled software looks a bit dated but seems to work well enough. Scan times are quite long but worth the wait. Overall I rate this product very highly based on my experience so far
55 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse