5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent if a little confusing
This scanner is big: maybe 20% longer and wider, and at least three times deeper than my Canon Lide 210. You need a big desk or sturdy shelf to accommodate this.

Published 7 months ago by Dr. Michael Heron

1.0 out of 5 stars Never had a problem with any other scanner
Husband purchased this scanner so he could scan medium format. He unpacked the scanner,followed the instal instructions,download the software from Epson for his computer. Connected the scanner,light flashed green,then went on to error. Was told to contact Epson by the dealer,Epson said try a different USB cable,then try a shorter USB cable,then try a different USB...
Published 9 months ago by Again lost in a good book

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent if a little confusing, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Epson Perfection V550 Photo Scanner with ReadyScan LED Technology (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The scanner is not always intuitive to use due to a couple of quirky design features. I followed the graphical instructions on how to set up the scanner, but could not initially find the On switch. This turned out not to be on the front or back of the scanner, but on one of the sides. From the image, which only showed a small section of the scanner, this was not clear.

Once I got the scanner on, installing the software was straightforward, as was scanning photographs. I was always disappointed with the quality of photographic scans from my old Canon scanner as I tend to pixel peep and even at 600dpi they were lacking in detail and quality. The Epson V550 can scan at a much higher resolution and even at lower than maximum density the scans from the Epson were excellent.

Scanning 35mm negatives proved a little more difficult. Firstly, the plastic holders for the negatives are a little fiddly to open, and I was worried I might snap one. Secondly, once I got the film in, the scanner kept giving an error message that I did not understand. After searching for help on You tube I discovered that I needed to remove the white insert from the top of the scanner in order to scan film (though you need to put it back in for scanning photographs and documents). This was admittedly partly my fault for not following the instructions more carefully, but a more useful error message would have been appreciated and saved some frustration.

Once I was able to scan the negatives, I was very impressed with the quality of the scans. They take a while to scan, but the quality is worth it. I still have a film SLR and have been very disappointed with the scanned images provided by photo processing labs. These are immeasurably better. Now I can just get the negatives developed and do the scanning myself.

I debated whether to give this 4 or 5 stars. Initially I was going to knock off a star because of the less than stellar user instructions and error messages. On reflection, I decided to rate it based on quality of output and value for money, and on those grounds it is excellent and deserving of 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality scans from negatives, 25 Oct 2013
Bought for scanning backlog of old 35 mm negatives. Will scan two strips of 6 frames at a time. Almost sent it back as could not figure out how to make ICE work, no paper manual as is usual these days and the e-manual did not help. Figured it out in the end but was very frustrating. Use Professional Mode. Then select each individual frame desired using ctrl-click (generates blue frame around preview image) and tick box of each frame selected. then tick ICE in options menu and then scan. I find need to do histogram tweaks for most frames on input and usually use unsharp mask. Plenty of input tweaking options. Can also select part of image rather than scanning whole, saves time etc. Results are good, happy with resolution. Epson software is good, but can download independent Vuescan which now lists V550 as a supported scanner. would have given 5 stars if had some instruction manual.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice scanner, 25 Jun 2014
I bought this scanner to scan in my documents and 35mm film negative strips and some photos.

It does a good job. Feels solid out of the box and was easy to set up and install the software.

The software works well, I recommend you use "Professional" mode and save your setting presets for later use.

The scanner comes with a Power supply, UK cable, USB 2.0 cable and two film negative accessories, it can do medium format, 35mm and others.

Scan times are reasonable, for example, two strips of 35mm negatives at 48bit colour, 2400 dpi and Digital ICE enabled takes circa 25 minutes (or about 3 minutes per negative image). When scanning, it makes high pitched screeching sounds like R2D2 but this is normal. You can hear a clunk now and then as the imaging switches modes.

The Epson website states this has a MCBF (Mean Cycles Between Failure) of 30,000 cycles. An office grade scanner would typically have about 600,000 MCBF for comparisson. The V700 has MCBF of 100,000 and takes 4 35mm strips per cycle, this V550 takes 2 35mm film strips per cycle (depending on cut length of your film strips, but you can also double up per strip to save scan cycles). Given the cost of this V550, it is reasonable, however, it would be better if there was a way to scan more strips side by side, but the upper lamp is only so wide on the lid.

My workflow for image scanning is to use the Epson software to scan to a folder, then in Lightroom using auto import from folder to speed it up for image processing later.

There also is OCR software, this is useful if you wish to digitize all your documents to save a paper mountain. There is no sheet feeder as this is not an "office" grade product but rather a "consumer" grade product.

If you are looking for the power button, it is on the right hand side near the back. It is a soft button switch and not a rocker/radio switch so it could easily be pressed accidently.
If you find you cannot get Digital ICE to work on all images, you have to select (blue border) each frame thumbnail (click "All" button), then check Digital ICE checkbox.

Epson has good reviews compared to Canon on their scanners, this does not supprise me due to having had the Canon consumer experience, their commitment to specs on the consumer end of the market, is seriously lacking. Epson however, are very much committed to the consumer market on quality and specs.

Why not full stars?

1) 30,000 MCBF compared to 100,000+ on the V700
2) Film negative scans are only 2 strips wide for 35mm
3) No designed in storage for accessories (minor annoyance, a slot underneath to store the removable accessoreis would be handy)
4) Power button is a soft power button easily pressed accidently, a larger recess around the button would help prevent this
5) Film strip accessories is fiddly to use for a lot of film negative scanning

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent scanner works with medium format film, 29 Jun 2014
Jimbob036 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I bought this as an upgrade from my old Epson V330 photo scanner, when I realised how many medium format negatives I had to scan! It's similar to the V330, but a bit bigger. The V550 also offers an increase in maximum scanning resolution over the V330 from 4800DPI to 6400DPI. It uses the same EpsonScan software, but with additional options, such as colour restoration and digital ICE technology. I found the colour restoration function useful when scanning old prints which had a severe colour cast, and the results were accurate, although sometimes a little harsh-looking. By the way, the dialogue box supposedly allows you to select up to 12,800DPI, but the scanner itself may not be able to go up to this level.

The main advantage of this scanner, is the large light window in the lid (83mm wide * 270mm long) which will easily allow scanning of medium format (120) roll film (60mm wide) and larger. To scan negatives or transparencies, you need to remove the reflective pad from the lid, to reveal the window. The scanner comes with 2 carriers, one of which allows scanning of either four 35mm slides, or 2 strips of 35mm negatives- so a total of 6 frames per strip could be scanned, although the edges may be clipped if the frames overlap the window. So safer to scan 4 or 5 at a time- in any case, negatives are often cut into strips of 4 to fit into their sleeves. The carrier window is only 24mm wide, though, so if used for instamatic (126 format), the top & bottom of the square 28mm frames will be clipped. It's a shame they didn't make the window a little wider. I found that for scanning this type of film, it was best to clamp it to the glass using the medium format carrier. The scanner seems to cope well with the film not being absolutely flat.

There are no carriers for 127 format film (46mm wide), or 110 format (16mm film), so again, I found it best to clamp these to the glass using a larger carrier. There are special carriers for these formats available as imports on Amazon, but they are expensive. The medium format carrier will allow scanning of 3 square frames in one go.

With prints, the scanner produced great results, both with colour & black & white. Once again, the marquee tool is used to select the print area.

There is no stowage of the carriers behind the reflective backing with this scanner, unfortunately, unlike the V330. The carriers are a little fiddly, so you need to be careful when clamping the film in place. I found when placing negatives to be scanned, the rule of thumb was emulsion side-up, and image upside down to give the right orientation first time.

Loading the EpsonScan software onto my Windows 7 64-bit PC went without a hitch, and on starting up, I got a dialogue box asking whether I wanted to launch the V330 or the V550 version. Whilst scanning colour negatives, I mostly went for 48-bit colour and a resolution of 1200 DPI, which gave me files of a reasonable size (around 1-2 MB) and didn't take too long (about a minute per medium format frame). Increasing the resolution setting greatly increased the file size. I found it was best to use the 'normal' rather than the 'thumbnail' setting when selecting the frame areas, as the thumbnail function didn't always select it properly. This works by using a marquee tool to select each frame. The scanner mostly worked very well, although annoyingly I had to keep rebooting it and re-launching the software every so often, as it tended to crash about once every 10 scans!

Another thing I found a bit disconcerting, was the lid hinge which has an extremely stiff stop at about 45! So much so, that I was initially afraid to try & close the lid for fear of breaking the hinge! I could find nothing about this in the instructions, so I pushed harder, and the lid eventually closed ok- nothing broken!

I've given it 4/5 stars, for a number of reasons- firstly the price, which was quite a hike from the V330! It was worth it though, for the ability to scan larger negatives. Secondly, the lid hinge issue- I wasted quite a bit of time trying to find out if something was wrong- it really shouldn't be so stiff! Thirdly, the bombing software, which added to the time due to constantly having to re-boot the scanner & re-launch the software.

On the plus side, the machine produces superb quality scans, and has the ability to go to a very high resolution, which is especially useful for medium format film. The colour restoration option does a great job of quickly fixing old colour-shifted prints- although the results can look a little 'harsh'. You can sometimes get better results by tweaking the images with Photoshop, or Paintshop Pro. It was great to be able to tackle medium format negatives, and other odd formats such as 127 roll film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the effort to do make it recognise 55mm transparencies, 31 July 2014
M. G. KETTERIDGE (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Works very well for 35mm slides - have done over 500 so far bringing back memories of family and friends going back nearly 50 years.
To get it to recognise the old 55mm slides (we have about 500 of these transparencies) took some patience on the part of my wife reading the settings instructions - she said it was just a matter of trial and error and noting down what she did ready for next time.
Certainly less money than getting a firm do do them for us at 20p+ per slide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality scanning, 7 Dec 2013
P. Thoms (UK) - See all my reviews
This scanner will scan negatives up to and including medium format and slightly larger if you place the negative directly on the glass down the centre. The results are excellent, helped along by tweaking certain elements as you prepare to scan (Professional mode is the more detailed). Previewing the scan is good and you can select a smaller area of the image for scanning if needed. The negative holders are easy to use and straight forward when positioning on the glass. Photographs scan very well in all modes. I would recommend this scanner for all who want to digitise their old negatives, slides and photos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 9 Feb 2014
I'm using the v550 to scan old negatives and transparencies mainly. Everything worked first time (OSX Mavericks) which is always a plus point. Scanning to tiff format 3600dpi/48bit is producing some cracking results. In fact the v550 is extracting detail that was completely lost in the original prints (mainly produced by low cost processors like Truprint at the time). The bundled software looks a bit dated but seems to work well enough. Scan times are quite long but worth the wait. Overall I rate this product very highly based on my experience so far

4.0 out of 5 stars Good scanner for home use, 16 Jan 2014
purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was pleased to have the opportunity to review this scanner as I have an ongoing project to digitise the photos I have taken on my film camera. I have been using the scanner on my Canon MP610 all-in-one colour printer to scan family photos and create photo books. It is the most straightforward way for my siblings and me to all have copies of photos from when we were kids, together with the precious photos of our parents' wedding etc. I have also been able to compare this model with an earlier Epson scanner belonging to a friend - the Epson Perfection 1670. I have found a significant improvement in results using this V550 scanner.

The V550 scanner is very sleek looking and is longer than I was expecting (485mm), so check if size is an issue for storage or if you have a shelf above the scanner. This length allows it to scan two 35mm filmstrips (12 frames) or four 35mm mounted slides at a time. The holders for the negatives are an improvement on the Epson 1670 as they are more secure and can take four mounted slides or medium film rather than the two on the Epson 1670. However, the key line for the 35mm film is covered by this holder and that can be a disadvantage for editing.

Thanks to Steve's review we were able to use the Professional Mode to select individual frames and tweak options before scanning.

Pros

+ Set up on a laptop running Windows 8 was straightforward
+ User manual is available as part on the installation and sits in the Epson folder
+ Scanning speed is quick
+ High-quality scans - 6,400dpi
+ Can scan straight to cloud for sharing
+ ICE mode is helpful in quickly improving the look of old and scratched negatives

Cons

- set up diagram was very basic
- set up on a Mac was troublesome at first but fine after a reboot
- ICE light only so option is there for negatives but not for photos

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, able to handle negatives larger than 35mm, 1 Feb 2014
I chose this scanner because it is one of the few flatbed transparent media scanners available and I have a lot of 120 size b/w negatives ans also 828 size colour slides to scan. So far I have only scanned a few b/w prints and colour slides. The speed is OK and I can scan around 16 slides in 20mins, including selecting the enhancement options and loading the slides. The plastic mask that positions the slides and allows the scanner to figure out the format is fiddly and one can't avoid touching the glass when removing slides. Slides tend to scan with a blue hue, but the software can aut correct that. There seem to be plenty of options for adjusting the colour/ grey shades. It also remembers the last slide number and the next day continues from where one left off. The resolution is good (I turned it down to 2400 dpi) because my slides don't have any finer grain detail than that. Being flat bed there is no discernable distortion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epson Perfection V550 Photo Scanner, 2 April 2014
Chose this machine after reading several very good reviews. Particularly required a scanner for 35mm slides and negative film.
Finding this gives first class results. The adjustments offered with the software allow for required quality improvements to my old and sometimes incorrectly exposed slides and negatives.
The software downloaded quickly and easily and the machine was up and running in half an hour. I've been used to operating a Canon scanner for several years but found the change to the Epson a piece of cake. Clear and concise instructions in the on-screen User Guide are brilliant. I have printed out a copy of the main operations and refer to them when I get stuck.
The Epson gives gives professional standard scans of photographs and documents as well as of film. All in all I am finding a this a magnificent little machine. The more I use it the more I like it - haven't found a fault yet.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›