5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic kit
I have been using home plugs for years to great effect and have had my eye on these for a little while now. The rear of my house suffers from a lack of Wi-Fi coverage, in no small part due to old stone walls and baby monitor etc. Having previously tried a Wi-Fi range extender with little success I came across these.

What struck me first about these is how small...
Published 13 months ago by Andrew

3.0 out of 5 stars Setup far from smooth
I'm giving this a three chiefly because of the frustrating setup. 'no configuration' it isn't. 'Push a couple of buttons and you are done', nope. Took two hours. However, once up and running it seems to work pretty well.

Published 2 months ago by A. ap Rhisiart

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic kit, 18 Aug 2013
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

What struck me first about these is how small they are compared to some of the ones I have had in the past. I was particularly keen to try them as they pipe a strong signal to where it's needed and then create a new or cloned Wi-Fi hotspot, thus not suffering the same issues repeaters do
Installation was simplicity itself. I plugged the small nano unit in and connected it to my Virgin Superhub. I then plugged in the Wi-Fi unit at the rear of my property. Powered on the connected instantly. I then pushed the Wi-Fi clone button and then the WPS button on the Superhub and after about a minute I was up and running. I now have a flawless signal all around my home, garden and even in my garage. As I sue dthe Wi-Fi clone option my devices all move seamless around as if it were one network. Great for streaming movies to my iPad whilst I have a soak in the tub.

Now where these take it a step further is that in the Wi-Fi homeplug there is also 2 ethernet ports as opposed to the usual one. This is great as not only can I benefit from wireless but I can also supply a cabled connection to at least two devices. I find that with a cabled connection, my speeds aren't much worst off than when connected direct to the router. I use them for gaming, linking my xbox downstairs to my router upstairs and pings/latency etc are spot on.

A word of caution. Homeplugs/powerline adaptors etc can be a bit picky. Recommendation is that they are kept on the same ring main and not used in extension sockets, especially ones that are surge protected. In practical use I have not encountered any problems myself. I have used them in extension sockets (surge protected ones) and not experienced any problems.
Overall this is a fantastic bit of kit that works for me perfectly and it is to me the perfect solution to extend your Wi-Fi to areas not covered.

3.0 out of 5 stars Setup far from smooth, 3 July 2014
A. ap Rhisiart (Argyll, Scotland) - See all my reviews

So what happened? There are two sets of 'quick installation' instructions with the kit, which is a little confusing. Spending some time, it became clear that one set was only about setting up a wired connection, the other for wired and wireless. The whole point for me was to extend the wireless network, so I took that one, but not after first doing the other one. I plugged the small adaptor into the wall socket near the router, plugged the ethernet cable between the two, went upstairs and plugged the larger (wi-fi extender) box into a socket upstairs. I got the impression that it would pair up automatically, and perhaps it would, but in fact I did the 2-second button press on both anyway, and they paired just fine. So far, a five star effort.

Next, read the other quick installation guide, where it says to plug the wi-fi extender close to the wi-fi router, press the WPS button on the router for 2 seconds, then the button on the front of the extender (not the little pairing button underneath) for 2 seconds, and watch the pretty lights. I watched the demo on youtube, but it never did what the youtube video showed, the lights just never did that, it did the fast flashing straight away, not slow flashing for twenty seconds, then a little fandango and finally fast flashing. I tried this multiple times, and also did the reset (little hole underneath) and tried again. Nothing. It always showed as a separate wi-fi network called 'TP-Link...', which I couldn't log into. It definitely wasn't copying the SSID and password from the router.

Check the PDF manual online. You don't get this manual with the device, nor a reference to it, I think. You do get a cd-rom, but it is one of the mini ones that only work with tray-loading dvd drives, so useless. OK, so I learn that the extender has a web interface. It says if you are connected wirelessly you can go to http://tplinkplclogin.net but I couldn't connect via wireless. I plugged in my Macbook Pro over ethernet, but that address didn't work. I noted that it gave me an IP address of 192.168.1.67 so I tried entering 192.168.1.1 in the browser, and got a password dialog. Entered 'admin' for both and got in. In there, I set the SSID and password manually to match my router, rebooted, and no it worked!

Now it is up I like it, but I can imagine a lot of people getting very frustrated setting it up.

UPDATE: I was finding that although my Macbook pro and all the iPads could connect easily to the router as before, my iPhone would not even see the network, but if I took it upstairs would connect happily to the extender. Also, the Mac upstairs (which is more or less equidistant between the router and the extender) would keep dropping its connection. A family member's Dell would not see the network at all and had to use ethernet. This was with them sharing SSID and channel to make a seamless wifi zone. So I made the channels different, channel 1 on the extender and channel 11 on the router itself (still sharing same SSID and password), and now it all works fine, everything can connect everywhere. I searched on the web for info about channel settings, but it was ambiguous.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good wired but unusable wireless connection, 13 July 2014
I bought the TL-WPA4220KIT to increase my wireless access in an upstairs bedroom. I connected the TL-PA4010 unit to a mains socket downstairs and to my router via an ethernet cable. I then connected one of the TL-WPA4220 units to the mains in the bedroom. I tested the internet access by connecting a laptop via ethernet cable to the TL-WPA4420 (ensuring that the laptop's Wi-Fi was disabled) and ran a speed test via speedtest.net. I got very good speeds of 75 Mbps down and 16 Mbps up. That is brilliant as that is about the same speed I get via an ethernet cable connected to my router. (My ISP is BT and I subscribe to its Infinity 2 internet service.) I then tested the internet access via the wireless signal from the TL-WPA4220 unit using the same laptop with the ethernet cable disconnected and Wi-Fi turned on and connected to the specific SSID broadcast by the TL-WPA4420 unit. Unfortunately, the wireless connection was sporadic at best. Occasionally it was as fast as the wired connection but usually it was very slow at about 5 Mbps down and <1 Mbps up. This meant that at best I could only get internet access to text-based sites; access to video content such as YouTube worked very poorly and usually not at all. I tried using different wireless channels on the TL-WPA4220 unit but changing the channels made no difference. I tried different laptops and a tablet and the results were the same. I also tried using the other TL-WPA4220 unit that came with the TL-WPA4220KIT and the results were equally poor with regard to wireless.

Given that the TL-WPA4220 provided me with excellent wired internet access, I then connected an old Wi-Fi router of mine to the TL-WPA4220 via an ethernet cable, turning the router into a dedicated wireless access point (having disabled DHCP in the old router). I now have excellent wireless internet access in the bedroom by virtue of my old router connected via ethernet cable to the TL-PA4220. I reliably get 35 Mbps down and 19 Mbps up. This workaround is not ideal but, in my view, most powerline adaptors that double as a wireless access point do so rather poorly. Maybe it’s the small size of the adaptor that limits their wireless capabilities; I don't know.

Thus the TL-WPA4220KIT, in my hands, provided excellent remote wired internet access but unusable wireless internet access. I am keeping mine because I have found a workaround that I can live with. But I would not recommend buying this for its wireless capabilities as you are likely to be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars NEVERMIND THE B@LLOCKS!, 17 July 2014
Graham W. Skillin (GLESGAE) - See all my reviews
Ignore the instructions and do the following:

Plug in the smaller adapter, attach via ethernet cable to your router

Plug in the larger adapter in its desired location

Press the pair button on the front of the smaller device

Press the pair button on the underside of the larger device

(this is where the WPS stuff would normally go, i tried that 5 or 6 times, each with a device reset on the larger device but to no avail)

insert the mini-cdrom into a computer, click the larger device icon as it appears (there are only 2 in front of you on the program which autoruns) This will now show you the IP address for your WIFI Tp-link device. Mine was 192.168.1.124 (yours might be different to this)

Login is "admin" username and password

Type this IP address into your browser on the computer, under 'Wireless settings' change the network name to your existing network SSID name,and the channel (if you know it, if not change it to any number, thats not 1 as this is the auto), thats the one that it broadcasts to all your devices just now.

Then under 'Wireless security', simply change the hexadecimal password (PSK password it is labelled as), which on mine was all numbers, to that of the same as your EXISTING Wifi network.

It will ask you to reboot the device, via the browser screen. Do so.

and VOILA! it will now be a clone of your wifi.

I was using a skyhub, the newer black one, and the WPS just wouldnt clone (I think its because it times off before the full 60seconds are up as this was what was required on the tp-link manuals)

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it but only because I'm a geek, 12 Mar 2014
Packaging - excellent. Instructions - well... with patience, tolerable. Not for the faint-hearted non-techie John Does.

The main marketing point of this product seems to be the plug-and-play capability, which seems to work only partially.

The powerline pairing works just fine - managed to pair the powerline module and three wifi extenders within a few minutes.

I couldn't get the Wi-Fi autopairing work with three different NetGear Wi-Fi routers (all three support WPS button connection).

Once I found the IP address of the device, I was able to log in and set up the Wi-Fi parameters within minutes. I love the fact that the device reboots super fast (unlike traditional APs, that take several minutes to restart).

Network speed via powerline will not be the advertised 500MBps, but somewhere around 200-300. I am connecting through about 10m of powerline, on the same circuit breaker.

Wi-Fi speed varies but signal is reliable ~10m outside the house (brick walls) at 72MBps (extender and target device were both in "n" mode).

2.0 out of 5 stars TP-Link WPA4220KIT AV500 Homeplug, 24 April 2014
D. Noades "Dave_N" (London) - See all my reviews
This kit was relatively easy to set up using the supplied utility and worked satisfactorily for a period of time.....

However, my set-up involves a relatively long length of armoured cable from my house to a garden studio and it would seem that this particular kit struggled to cope with the length of run / number of connections within my household wiring / interference and after a while the link was periodically dropping out.

Resetting everything seemed to get it working for a while, but eventually the two units refused to recognise each other's presence any more, even when I plugged them into sockets which were physically close to one another.

On contacting the supplier, they tried to give me the contact details for the manufacturer, but these were helpfully (!) obliterated by the Amazon blocking system - great!

Eventually got hold of the manufacturer who advised returning just one of the units for replacement - I knew this would achieve absolutely nothing as the new unit would still not be able to connect with the other unit!

I had recently read that Solwise made a unit (the PL600AV) that utilises a higher-end chip set that is much more resilient to interference and multiple connection losses, so I decided to cut my losses with the TP-Link set up and go with this instead. This has been very stable now for over a month, with consistent connection rates of 70 - 80Mbps over this rather difficult link.

So by all means go with the TP-Link solution if you have a relatively clean mains set-up, but if you think you have something more tricky, I would strongly suggest going with Solwise instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great so far, insufficient documentation., 22 Aug 2014
Having just got these set up, I would echo some previous sentiments regarding simplicity.
Firstly, I'm from the US - not from a crowded area - and so am not accustomed to having dozens of competing Wifi signals, which is apparently an issue in Amsterdam. Another significant difference is the home construction. Apparently Europeans (at least the Dutch) impregnate their wall covering material with lead or other signal-blocking materials which are not in vogue across the pond. Thus the need for wifi extenders that communicate over powerline (since the first extender I bought just didn't work reliably, apparently due to the walls).

So, having extricated the snarky comments from my brain...
I was able to pull these out of the box, plug them in, connect the transmitter to the router, and pair the transmitter with the receiver. No problem. Connect computer to receiver with ethernet cable, check. Connect computer to receiver via wifi, check.
However, I could not find a "pair" button on the UPC-supplied router (Horizon?), so I was not able to automatically change the SSID/password to match the router.

So here's where the problems start, and you need the manual or the internet to get things working.

In short, the easiest way to get things working is to:
1) Unplug all but one of the receivers (I bought 3 in addition to the transmitter)
2) Connect the receiver to your computer
3) Change the IPv4 settings for your WIRED connection. I use a Mac so this is somewhat different from a PC.
a) Open Network Settings and click on Ethernet
Note the current IP address
b) Choose "Manually" from the "Configure IPv4" drop-down
c) Enter 192.168.1.xx in the IP Address box. Change xx to match whatever it was from step a) above
d) Enter 192.168.1.1 for the DNS server (not 100% sure this is needed, but it worked).
e) Hit Apply
4) Wait for maybe a minute for everything to settle
5) Go to a browser and go to 192.168.1.1.
6) A popup should appear requesting credentials. Use admin admin
If one does not appear, then something is wrong and you need to do something else. Sorry.
7) From this point you are connected to the "powerline receiver" and can change things like the SSID and password. I won't go into how to do this as it is pretty similar to other router-type interfaces.
8) You will need to reboot the receiver when you have made all of the changes you want to make. There is a link/ button for this.
9) If you have additional receivers to set up, unplug the current one and plug in the next one and repeat the process from 1) above.
10) When you are on the last receiver, you may want to create a new powerline network name/ password for all of them and apply it to all of them at once. If you do this, you will need to plug the others in and wait for them to boot up prior to doing so.

Another note for those that use UPC... I think that I am going to disable the wireless on the UPC router and create a new, separate SSID. UPC only allows 5 connections and we have a lot more users than that, and there should be great coverage with these things without the router.

I will post back later if my opinions change based on usage. So far it would be 5 stars if they had good documentation. What was provided was not good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but not as easy to set up as it should be., 8 Aug 2014
Setting up the Wifi to mirror an existing Wifi system was not as easy as the instructions suggested! This is why it has been given only 4 stars. First time around it provided a usable Wifi signal but not with the same SSID and password as our existing system. The SSID and password from the case of the Wifi booster had to be used to check out the Wifi signals, using a portable laptop and an iPad. Bringing the Wifi booster back close to our router and then pressing all the buttons again in the correct sequence made the Wifi booster use the same SSID and password as our existing Wifi system. At this point the Powerline extender operated as advertised so that the iPad logged onto the extender signal immediately. For the technically minded it is worth noting that the Wifi extender uses Channel 1, whereas our local Router has been set up to Channel 6. This is only significant if you happen to be in a location where a lot of Wifi routers use Channel 1.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great when you get it to work, 29 Mar 2014
Budgie (Northumberland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WPA281KIT V3 AV200 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with Two Ethernet Ports, Starter Kit/Twin Pack (Easy Configuration, Wi-Fi Clone for Smartphone/Tablets/Laptop) (Accessory)
Bought the WPA281 kit hoping it would be plug and play, and would sort out my lack of a strong Wi-Fi signal in my kitchen. Bought the unit through one of Amazons sellers, Kikatek based on their wording "Brand new stock" hoping it would be the latest version with the updated casing and only one Ethernet connector. The kit turned up and it was still the original, older model, but hey never mind.
Tried to clone as per the instruction manual but created a new network rather than cloning my existing one. I have a BrightBox router from EE, and was then left with 2 networks, named BrightBox and TP-Link. After having read up about the problem I went into the routers settings online and found that the WPS was disabled. I was pressing the WPS button, following the instructions but the router was not allowing the extender to join or clone the existing network, and therefore created its own. Having enabled the WPS in the routers online settings I tried the cloning process again, and it worked straight away, deleting the TP-Link network and extended my BrightBox signal. I then disabled the WPS setting again to help protect my set-up from further intrusion. My iPhone now connects anywhere in the house to my "BrightBox" network and switches from extender to router, depending on where the strongest signal comes from without losing connection. Well pleased now, I appreciate it was not TP-Links instructions fault, as it was really up to me to get the WPS enabled, I hope you can understand what I have tried to explain, and that it may save someone from wasting time if they have a similar problem. Pleased with the units now that it is working,

1.0 out of 5 stars August 2014. These have a known defect that affects ..., 26 Aug 2014
August 2014. These have a known defect that affects version 1 product whereby the devices do not wake up after sleeping for about 15 minutes. This has allegedly been fixed in the version 2, however this is not available in the UK because they have not retooled the product line for UK plug yet and I could not get a date for when this would be done. The firmware update that is supposed to also fix this is not available for the UK device, which is curious because it suggests that either this is blocked in software or that the electronics internally are different between the continental and UK versions. There seems to be no way to switch off sleep mode, so if you get V1 devices send them back for a refund immediately. Otherwise the product works as advertised, though very hot, so if they are using cheep capacitors they may not last very long.