1,063 Reviews

1,628 of 1,666 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Google showing the competition how it's done
I wanted to post this review to focus on the few negative points regarding this phone so that people are more aware about what they are buying. I feel that there is enough information about the positive aspects on this phone available so I will only discuss these briefly. You may be therefore asking why I gave this product 5 stars, the main reason being that, for me, the...
Published 17 months ago by Bobinho

1.0 out of 5 stars Great initially, but half-usable after recent software updates
The phone was great after I first bought it, good screen, really snappy. Unfortunately it got worse after every software update. Currenty (on KitKat) it became half-usable. I can barely use the browser now, and the keyboard often doesn't display (or hides immediately) when trying to fill-in the forms. Multitasking doesn't really work - when you switch the app, the old one...
Published 3 months ago by Grze

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Moto G 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
This is a fantastic phone. I previously had a Samsung Galaxy W I8150 which should have been comparable, but the Moto G is much better!

I'm fairly tech-savvy but not particularly interested in smartphones, so this is ideal - functional, affordable and stylish. It easily and reliably does everything that I want it to. Email, browsing, taking and viewing photos and videos, Skype, YouTube, Facebook, maps. GPS is fast. Connection (both mobile and wifi) is good and consistent. The battery always lasts me a full day. It looks and feels strong / easy to care for, and feels strong and easy to care for, and still looks new after 8 months of constant use.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this phone, 8 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Moto G 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
I broke the screen on my old Samsung Galaxy Nexus... and decided to buy a new phone instead of getting the screen replaced.

Overall, I like this phone. And it is exceptional value for money. But, it does come with some fairly big drawbacks.

Pros:
- A great phone that reacts quickly to my inputs, has a decent amount of storage space and is equipped with the Android KitKat operating system
- Stunning HD display. One of the things that really impressed me when I started using this phone
- Quad core, for the price it really is incredible
- I live in a poor signal area (making the matter worse is being in old house, stone walls) and still manage to get a signal. Wifi also works well
- Samsung's Migration app worked wonderfully for transferring settings and files from my old Android phone
- Speaker and microphones are both clear - calls are heard and received well
- Touch screen responsive and accurate
- The colourful (optional) cases. Really makes your phone stand out.
- Size - the phone is not huge by any means (which seems to be the popular thing again now). But I actually like the fact that it's not too big and I can hold it up to my ear and fit it in my pocket...
- Again, value for money is exceptional.

Cons:
- The battery cannot be replaced and is inbuilt. This is something I didn't notice on the listing and was actually a big problem for me.
- With the Galaxy Nexus I had purchased a spare high capacity battery and got very good battery life as a result. The battery included in this phone apparently has all kinds of 'eco' saving modes to save power and reduce power consumption but I've found that battery life is not good at all. To the point where 24 hours of very light use and the battery would be totally drained. I knew this couldn't possibly be right and did a little research - and found that having a faint mobile signal would drain the battery massively (although I had a low signal on the Nexus and didn't experience this). Turning on airplane mode at night helped a lot, and thankfully a firmware update was released which seemed to improve things. This is a great relief as I was thinking I might have to return the phone
- Something doesn't seem quite right with the camera. Images appear a little blurred (kind of like a watercolour painting lacking any real detail) when I open the picture on a computer and zoom in a little. I checked and the lens was definately clean - there doesn't appear to be much detail in the photos at all for a 5 megapixel camera.

Overall I would have to give the phone 4 stars. Battery problems aside it is an extremely powerful, responsive phone at a very good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars had to buy an inexpensive smartphone quickly and motog was the perfect solution. pros, 30 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Moto G 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
had a much more expensive galaxy s4 before that broke inside my pocket! had to buy an inexpensive smartphone quickly and motog was the perfect solution.
pros. right dimension, battery life much longer than S4, runs google map well so can be used as sat nav without draining the battery.
usual apps available.
cons: camera not as sharp as on the S4.
essentially a very very good entry level phone. I do not spend too much time "playing" with my phone so I may be missing some spectacular feature available on other phones but hey I can live with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant phone that sets new standards in the budget phone arena, 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Moto G 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
One of the best budget Android phones out there. I bought this for my Mum. It has convinced me that I am never spending lots of money on new phones ever again. There is simply no need to. This brilliant phone proves it. Slick, fast and responsive and it comes with a near pure-stock Android Kit-kat OS. Motorola are not trying to bamboozle you with sill apps that you can't uninstall either.

Very impressed, having been and Apple, Samsung and HTC buyer in the past. Motorola beats them all with phones like this at this low cost0 Amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my first Smart phone - light years ahead of my previous phone, 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Moto G 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
This is my first Smart phone - light years ahead of my previous phone, and i'm finding some problems in getting to grips with all its features.It is a brilliant piece of modern 'techno' kit but at the moment I'm not useing it to its full potential, but that which I do use is fast and displayed in very sharp detail on its super screen.It arrived very early, in fact two days before forecast of arrival, and in perfect condition. My only problem has been that 'it's' brian works faster than mine! Ouch!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionary, 1 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Moto G 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
In some ways a revolutionary device. At this price point you expect nothing less than garbage from most leading android manufacturers, but Motorola bucked the trend with this phone. Built like a tank, performs like a champ, I've spent every moment with this device in awe of how good it is for the price. Even more baffling is the speed at which Android updates are delivered, beating all the other major OEMs. I hope Motorola and other OEMs continue in this vain.

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife went from an iphone to this Motorola and ..., 13 Jan. 2015
Alan J. Young (Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moto G 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
My wife went from an iphone to this Motorola and she loves it. I didn't think I would ever get her away from Apple products but 3 days in and she's an Android fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a GREAT phone!, 20 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Moto G 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
For the price and quality, there is no doubt in my mind this was and still s the best mid level phone on the market. It has and is still doing everything I could want it to over the last year. The only downside is that the camera is slightly less quality than other products on the market, but once again for the price I really can not complain. Don't let me mix my words, this is a great phone!

4.0 out of 5 stars As a phone very good., 23 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Moto G 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
I'm new to smartphones so I read all the reviews and customer comments on the likely candidates before buying.
This phone consistently came out top in its price bracket and as I'm not a heavy user went for it.
Having mastered ? the workings I'm generally pleased though connection to the internet was not straightforward but I for some reason have had trouble with all my gadgets needing wi fi connection so probably can't blame this phone.
Just two things, the battery life is poor especially coming from a standard mobile phone and why oh why is there no user handbook with the phone, I had to download one from the Motorola site, not all of us are tech savvy and a straight forward how to use is very helpful when getting started.
I would also appreciate a simple menu and not have to go as with so much today through endless sub menus that you have to find first.
Apart from that the sound is good, the visuals excellent and response is very quick, only the camera is below par, but that is not something that I am going to be using much so no problem, so far so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this phone, 21 Oct. 2014
stephenb857 (Glasgow, Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moto G 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
I absolutely adore this phone. For the money it is simply unbeatable. Fast, responsive, looks smart, it really is great. I have a few mates who have very expensive phones and I honestly don't know what they are getting for the extra £200 that they pay I really don't. Ah well, you know what they say : a fool and his money are easily parted. Serves them right.

Moto G 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black