on 16 August 2014
I am still on ADSL and installed this 2 days ago to replace my trusty but ancient Belkin Wireless G modem router.

As I now have a tablet, a smartphone and a PS3, I purchased this on the 'strength' of its wireless signal, improved security and it will be VDSL-ready when I am eventually able to receive fibre broadband.

For:
- Seems very well built, looks very nice.

Against:
- Top download speed is 33% less than my old Belkin was (1.0Mb/s compared to 1.5Mb/s) (I have updated the firmware to the current version).
- Signal strength seemed no better either, still receiving "your internet connection is unstable" msgs on smartphone.

In short, if you don't have fibre broadband, avoid this, it's a waste of money.
on 12 December 2013
This dsl/modem product and it's sibling routers have had pretty stunning reviews with items sold out so it looked like a no-brainer. If only. I've had to reset the modem from scratch four times in the week I've had it. Why? If you switch it off it loses all its settings. If you get disconnected from the internet you lose your settings. There's nothing to warn you and I found out only because I was being extra cautious after it seemed my old Netgear device was hacked. I reported this to ASUS helpline and they came back with advice to report it to another online help site except when I got there they only catered for the US and Canada. The irony was that they labelled my case "SATISFACTION" without even solving the problem let alone seeing through that I was satisfied.

Other smaller bug bear: the clock is incorrect running too fast even after you reset it. I really wanted to like this product but in the end I have to conclude I either drew the short straw or the product is crap.

I'm not a big media user but I see the ASUS products come with all the bells and whistles likely to lure unaware buyers. There's a very informative 1-star review on amazon.com by Book Lover. Read before you buy.

This was my first ASUS product. I'll steer clear going forward.
on 3 December 2013
Device looks good and feels well made but can only stand vertically on its metal base.

It easily connected to BT Inifinity without the need for the additional external BT VDSL modem and the web management interface is simple and clear but sometimes slow. Wireless signal around the house was also a big improvement on the BT Home Hub 3.

But, as of firmware versions 1.0.5.0 and 1.0.5.9, this router will not allow you to watch BT Sport channels via Youview set top boxes. In trying to rectify this issue I found Asus support to be poor, very slow and a bit clueless - they did not seem to be based in the UK and were not aware of the BT Sport IPTV requirements.

Overall because of the poor support and the lack of IPTV compatibility my recommendation is do not buy this router until the firmware is fixed.
55 comments|4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse