5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for beginners and seasoned users.
Published 13 months ago by D. Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars Essential Photoshop
I.m afraid this was not my cup of tea I found it a little too complex although I have Elements 11 and get some good results
Published 12 months ago by Mr. John H. Nelson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for beginners and seasoned users., 10 Aug 2013
D. Morris (Portsmouth U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essential Photoshop: How to use 9 essential tools and techniques to transform your photography (The Lightweight Photographer Books) (Kindle Edition)
I have been following Robin Whalley for some time and this book which was free has some great tips that beginners will find extremely useful but for seasoned users like me it is also a bonus as Robin has both reminded me on how to do stuff that I had actually forgotten but also explained in a way that any user can pick up and run with. All processes are shown and explained in easy to follow instructions that any user will understand and as Robin has included many pictures through out his work through examples it is easy and clear for everybody to actually see what is happening to the image and follow the whole process through gaining a good understanding of the work flow process.

If I had to moan about something then it would be the fact that it is Kindle only publication - I would have liked to see the option to download as a PDF as well - I have enough different book readers on my Mac / PC / iPad etc without having to get the kindle one as well - I would prefer to have all my books in one place but this is a minor issue to be honest and just me splitting hairs.

For anyone who has not come across Robin before I strongly recommend going to his website and signing up for his free newsletter which always contains great pictures and superb tips straight to your in box ([...]

Well done Robin and many thanks - keep up the great work.

5.0 out of 5 stars and how they may best be used, 5 Sep 2014
Take a bow Mr Whalley. Having previously spent significant sums on day courses and books on Photoshop, I still had no real idea how to set about enhancing my photos. His short book has taught me a methodical approach to image adjustment, so I can now improve contrast, change colour saturation, pick the correct tool to eliminate artefacts and use layers. His clear and concise text, aided by examples that you can work through, explains in simple terms, how techniques such as layer masks, sharpening, and curves are modifying the picture, and how they may best be used. In a few short chapters he has reduced this huge and complex program into one that I have confidently started to use on my own photos with dramatic benefits. It has also given me the fundamentals on which I can build when using those expensive books. The best £2.70 I have spent in years.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best introduction to Ps for photographers I have read, 31 Jan 2014
I've used the Kelby books in the past and while they are a good way of first approaching the beast that is Ps they only give a very basic non-technical snap shot. This book goes one step further and lifts the lid on the key tools that a photographer needs. The additional technical information shed further light on how Ps works and helped me gain a greater appreciation for what I could achieve with it. The brief overview of 3rd party filters in the last chapter was very also useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really iss Essential, 26 Sep 2013
S. Wallis - See all my reviews
This book is full of easy to understand and helpful information for getting the best out of Photoshop. Clear information and not too technical, I thoroughly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and Concise, 10 Aug 2013
There are so many books available that explain every photoshop tool, button and technique but often these are so detailed they are impenetrable. This book is the antidote, it focuses on the key tools that can help photographers improve your post production skills and ultimately create better images without overcomplicating things. In short it's a fast track to some key techniques and very useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much improved Workflow, 19 Feb 2014
I thoroughly recommend this book! It details the important steps required to 'process' an image in a logical order. You don't need them all in every image but by following the 'workflow' I am producing much improved processed images, far quicker. Its also very concise - for me, too much detail is a turn off - some books are padded out with irrelevant and distracting detail. This book gives me a quick overview and understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all Photographic users of Photoshop, 20 Aug 2013
Amazon Customer "Tinkerbelle" (Sheringham, Norfolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Robin has managed to produce a Photoshop guide that should really get newcomers to the software on the 'right track' - provided they do wholeheartedly follow Robin's instructions.
At the same time he has come up with techniques and information that will be of great interest and use to long time users of Photoshop - his chapter on 'Curves Adjustments' is the clearest and most complete I have ever come across.

This is a very well written guide, all the techniques are clearly described and there are illustrations throughout to show not only the CS5 dialogue boxes but the subsequent results on the images as well.
I would recommend this book not only to newcomers interested in getting to grips with Photoshop but anyone that wants to get the very best results from their RAW images.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Photoshop: by Robin Whalley, 13 Aug 2013
Having only recently discovered the articles written by Robin Whalley I find him to be very informative and knowledgeable on his subjects, without blinding one with a lot of unnecessary science. I have been using Photoshop on and off for some years. In this Kindle edition by him there were some things I did not know on how to try and get a better quality image.

His stile of writing and description makes this book highly recommended and his final images look superb. A man I would like to meet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good educational read., 29 Jun 2014
Downloaded via a Kindle app to my tablet.

Fast clear and helpful giving so many useful tips my photographs improved after a week..

4.0 out of 5 stars 9 essential tools, 27 Jun 2014
Need to read and reread this book to constantly remind myself of the useful information and guidance it provides.
Useful