Format: DVD|Change

on 3 December 2013
Everyone, regardless of whether or not you are a beekeeper should watch this. It's far more than a documentary on bees; it displays how misguided we are in how we treat our natural world. A beautiful piece of film very skilfully produced.
Now buy it!
on 27 November 2013
Great video showing the problems the bees are having with humans and their lifestyles. Its not the bees fault they have been around for over 10 million years. The problem lies with humans and the continual exploitation of the bees.
on 27 December 2013
So well made and very subtle and fair in how it presents the current 'bee situation' - it never preaches to the viewer on what to do but the message it clearly there. Wonderful use of music and sound to convey that message.
on 27 November 2013
An excellent DVD with thought provoking story line warning of the dangers our society face if we do not care for our Bees.
on 9 December 2015
Hated seeing the way the bees were handled a lot of the time, especially by the commercial apiary workers, OK, they're insects but they are still living organisms and should be shown a bit of respect.
on 31 December 2013
This is one of the best photographed films about bees that I have seen. It is a must for any beekeeping group library or group showing. The film contains scenes and interviews from all around the world and gives some wonderful insights into how other people keep bees.

I have given this 4 stars purely on photography and varied content. BUT, the narration is full of mistakes from inaccuracies to completely untrue. At best there is insufficient background, at worst the film is quite misleading. The account of hand pollination in China is poorly researched and quite different accounts from US beekeepers working in China seem more credible. You might be better watching this film with the sound off!

I am using the film for supporting a charitable fund working on bee research - for this use, I think it has the just right effect.
on 8 December 2013
this film doesnt paint a pretty picture of modern agricultural practice, it doesn't pass judgement you will have to come to your own conclusions. Turned me in to an activist .
on 27 July 2015
The strength of this movie are the fantastic HD pictures, giving exceptional insights into the life inside the hive. Watch this movie on the biggest and best HD you can get, it is really breath-taking.
But this is not a movie in the normal sense. The individual vignettes [stories] do all make sense and are all of great importance for honeybees, but will be not fully clear [in their meaning] to the non-beekeeper. They hang only loosely together, do not expect an overarching narrative.
on 6 June 2014
I was first into the cinema in Innsbruck when this was released, and afterwards we had a really good discussion with the Director (Markus Imhoof). I was a beekeeper in Scotland for 10 years and for the last 6 years have been studying and practising beekeeping in Tirol in Austria (and last year moved up to 15 hives). I also have basically the same kind of hives as the old Swiss guy - 'Hinterbehandler' in a bee house - rather then the widespread 'magazine' type hives in America and Britain. And I prefer the 'dunkle' or 'brown' or 'black' bees - the Apis m.m. - that he also had, rather than the Carnica (Apis m.c.). But - and here is an another interesting link with the film - I let my queens brood naturally so that they, after fertilisation from 10 or more drones - have a mix of Carnica and 'brown' bees. This means aggression - the Europoean equivalent of the so-called 'killer bees' that you see in the film. Healthy, industrious, prolific bees - but a bit hot to handle for the beekeepers who want to turn bees into acquiescent pets!
From my own experiences I wrote my own short account of what bees meant and how we should develop our relationship to the natural world, as well as my Marxist critique of capitalism and how we exploit (and are alienated from) nature through capitalism. Everything I ever understood about the problems of capitalism I learnt from bees!
But this film does this analysis better, without lecturing. It is, without spoon-feeding the audience, giving you all the context you need to know to make up your own minds. Absolutely brilliant photography and editing!
The book (with the same title) is great too, by the way, and expands on these themes.
on 27 February 2014
A well presented and very informative DVD, that is of interest to both beekeepers and the general public.
This highlights the problems being experienced by beekeepers across the world.