Format: DVD|Change

on 1 June 2015
I didn't like this at first, but I've re-watched it a couple of times and now I really like it. What you have to accept straight off is that ALL half-hour comedies which attempt to transfer to 90 min movies suffer for it, and they necessarily have to make changes to the pace and which characters are used and how. On my third watching I've begun to really appreciate all the small jokes which are really rammed in everywhere they can go, too many to recall.

One criticism is that the beginning isn't very strong. There's good bits, but overall it probably would have helped with a few stronger jokes just to get it going, because there are some really good moments later on.

Coogan shows his strong acting ability, and he can be very subtle. His stress-nose-whine makes him sound like a wounded dog when he has that bust up with Lynne, which is a nice touch. Another subtle but hilarious bit I only got on the third watching was when he was regaling someone about his recent sexual encounter and his narrative goes from giddy and immature to a little melancholic and then tragic when he seems to realise to himself that he didn't know his own mother, and then cuts himself off.

If you're a Partridge fan and watched this once and thought it was crap, I recommend having a couple of cans and watching it again and then perhaps again. I have found it rewarding to do so, and I'm sure I'll watch it at least once or twice more. It's good, and in places brilliant.
Steve Coogan’s Alan Partridge is one of the greatest comic creations of the past 20 years or so. I always enjoy him, but if the truth be known, I preferred the “monster” of “The Day Today” and “Knowing Me, Knowing You” (both on radio and TV) to the more “rounded” creation of “I’m Alan Partridge” and this film.
TV sitcoms transferred to the big screen rarely work; there is usually a broadening and cheapening of effects which invariably offers diminishing returns. This is not quite the case here, where, the occasional “slow” passage notwithstanding, it actually works as a film. This is in no small part thanks to the excellent supporting cast and, in particular, the performance of Colm Meaney in the pivotal role of Pat Farrell; he is by turns funny, touching, dangerous and entirely believable. Other notable cameos come from Phil Cornwell as another DJ on the skids and two favourites from the TV series, the wonderful Felicity Montagu as Lynn and Simon Greenall as Michael, who gets disappointingly little screen time.

Having said all that, I have to reiterate my preference for the earlier incarnations of Partridge to the more rounded character here; it is no surprise, perhaps, that the scenes that work most consistently well are those set in the studio with Alan and his Sidekick Simon, amusingly played by the comedian Tim Key, and the moment when Alan seizes the opportunity to indulge in banter with the assembled crowd of onlookers.

To sum up. Did I enjoy the film? Yes. Did it make me laugh? Yes (the scene where Alan loses his trousers made me weep with laughter). Was Steve Coogan brilliant as ever as Alan? Of course. Would I recommend it to Alan-lovers? I don’t need to! Would I recommend it to anyone looking for an enjoyable, funny movie? Absolutely!
on 12 March 2015
Confession time.... Having never seen the tv show this wasn't high on the must watch list. However with good critical reviews and generally good word of mouth I was pleased when the opportunity to watch it came up.

Whilst not entirely my sense of humour there was a lot of entertainment to be had. As you all know by now Alan finds himself in a pickle when an disgruntled ex-employee decides to take revenge on the radio studio that sacked him. Holding his old colleagues hostage Alan is tasked to calm him down and bring the situation to an end.

Cue endless mishaps and dodgy quips as Alan uses the situation to bolster his flagging career more than making sure his friends make it out in one piece. The jokes come thick and fast and are generally well written and witty. There are moments where it feels like things are done just for a crude laugh such as Alan losing his trousers at one point, but you can't help but snigger at his misfortunes.

Overall generally a funny film. If you like Alan Partridge then I am sure this will be well up your street. For everyone else this is an entertaining, funny film
on 27 February 2014
Classic tv comedy stretched out to movie length is usually a bad idea. What works as a half an hour gag fest usually struggles with a stretched out plot and additional characters. Alan Partridge is bordering on the edge of a successful transfer. It has some great visual jokes and some funny cringey scenes but then there are other parts of the movie that are sttretched out too thinly and some aspects of the film are a little too ridiculous. Saying that though it was stillm more enjoyable than most tv comedy transfers and worth at least one watch if you're a fan.
VINE VOICEon 2 April 2015
Following on directly from Mid Morning Matters, Alan's transition to the big screen is a huge success. Well written and observed, all aspects of Alan's character are developed well, taking full advantage of the extended story time and bigger budget. For me, it was great to see the return of Lynn, one of the best characters of previous series, and Michael also has a funny role. Whilst I was slightly wary, I needed be. Coogan has shown that the depth of Alan's character is well worthy of a cinema drama. And Norfolk and Cromer Pier make great backdrop.
on 13 June 2015
Good film. Clever dialogue, amusing. Not hysterical, but entertaining. recommended, but just don't expect hollywood blockbuster. This is a comedy and should be praised for keeping it real, and sticking to the man of the Radio and his ultra selfish ego. This just does the slime proud. Does he redeem himself in the end and show the world he is a good, moral, decent dude? Nah not really, but his hearts in the right place, where that is, only he knows, probably in one of his perverted fantasies.
on 5 January 2014
I have been a huge fan of AP since he was first created on "On The Hour" I own everything Alan, from book to CD and DVD and I quote him daily.
I had high hopes for the movie and don't get me wrong it is very entertaining, just not as entertaining as the TV series. Almost every TV episode of AP are classics and hilarious.
The problem is that Alan lives his world in a shoe box and it is his mundane life and his outlook on the world that makes him ideal for TV. Just watch "Mid Morning Matters" for example, every episode takes place in a small room with Alan being a DJ and that is where Alan is at his best and it is one of the funniest DVD's out of all the series.
Now to get it to work on the big screen you can't have Alan just being a dork for nearly 2 hours, you have to create a huge story around it. That's the problem, Alan's world is too small to have a lot of attention. For it to be funny you need Alan to just be Alan and not for him to support a huge cast and a massive plot line. A movie is simply too BIG for Alan's world. He is at his best and the funniest when he is doing his DJ slot or bouncing off Lynn and Michael in his narrow minded world.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2014
Never having followed the exploits of East Anglian local radio DJ and all-round narcissist Alan Partridge, but having gained the impression that the character was best left in the past, I approached this movie with fairly low expectations. Happily these were confounded, as the film’s razor-sharp wit, snappy dialogue, and larger-than-life characters were hugely entertaining from start to finish.
Facing being replaced with stereotypical yoof presenters, and deemed surplus to requirements by soulless new management, Alan is quick to dodge the bullet by cravenly putting the spotlight on friend and fellow presenter Pat Farrell, who is subsequently fired by the station. Congratulating himself on his quick thinking, Alan has reckoned without the vengeful Pat, who returns to the station with a shotgun, taking control and holding Alan and others (including the new manager) hostage. Cue Alan’s ineffectual attempts to talk Pat down, as the increasingly deranged former presenter proceeds to broadcast his old show once more, with Alan and the latter’s own co-presenter Sidekick Simon joining him in an uneasy alliance.
Alongside Steve Coogan as Partridge, Colm Meaney plays Pat, Tim Key is Sidekick Simon, and impressionist Phil Cornwell appears as a rival DJ. The cast is what really makes this, however a combination of clever verbal references, sight gags, slapstick and general buffoonery from the lecherous Partidge, make up what is a thoroughly engaging and riotous 90 minutes.
on 10 August 2014
Disappointing really. Sets off in a similar vain to previous shows in his series that I love. However just fails to deliver on every level IMO in comparison to earlier shows. Hardly laughed to be honest. Still - mildly entertaining - not just one of Alan's finest moments in my opinion.
on 20 August 2014
I love Steve Coogan, but I don't think this is one of his best films. Not as funny as I had been led to believe.
Steve Coogan can write so much than this.
I knew I wouldn't watch it twice, so gave it jumble sale