5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling debut
I don't normally read books with supernatural elements but this one is fabulous. Past and present interweave and all the characters are well portrayed. I haven't read Catherine Cookson, but her name kept popping into my mind as I read the story from the past. From the beginning I was hooked, the pace was fast and it was full of suspense. I really recommend this. I read it...
Published 17 months ago by Alison Gray

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, but not really gripping or well written
This book was recommended for a book club meeting and as such is not one I would normally go for (the point of book clubs I guess!). The basis of the storyline is ok, but if I'm honest could really have done without the ghost element. A story about Annie, her ex, Henry, Jake and Will would have made a more tangible story, and would have been good - the diary writing from...
Published 12 months ago by Humphrey

‹ Previous | 113 14 1523 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ghost a House, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Ghost House (The Annie Graham series - Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic thriller, kept you guessing all the way through. Would highly recommend this book, the author has put such passion into the writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Read, 27 Oct. 2013
After a slow start I found myself unable to put this book down. It has a clever plot and does an great job of mixing a crime novel with a classic horror story. The characters develop with the book and at the end I was hungry for more. An excellent first novel,hopefully more to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 Oct. 2013
If I could have given this book more than 5 stars I would have!! This book was fantastic and kept me up until the early hours of each morning as I couldn't put it down. Gripping story and brilliantly written to keep you wanting to read more. I cannot wait for the next book "Mrs Phifer" xx Turbo xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Totes Amaze, 25 Oct. 2013
Wow mega read so well written you can feel yourself there! Can't wait for another one to be released by this great author x

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, couldnt put it down, 23 Oct. 2013
Brilliant book, I have recommended to all my friends and really looking forward to the next book by Helen Phifer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant ghost story, keeps you on the edge, 22 Oct. 2013
I was lucky enough to receive an advanced reading copy of this book from Netgally and I have to say that I loved it!

I really like ghost stories so this appealed to me straight away and from the first page I was hooked.

It tells the story of Annie, who takes over being caretaker of an old run down house whilst her brother is out of the country. She is a police officer who has had a problem relationship and is glad of a little time on her own. However things don't quite go to plan.

She decides to explore the old house and stumbles upon a diary and some ghostly figures at the same time. The diary was written by a servant who used to live in the house, and that is the girl who Annie keeps seeing.

The story is told from several points of view, including lots of extracts from the diary, which really add to the atmosphere of the book. The house is described perfectly, and you can really get a feel of what it was like to live there - during the good and the bad times.

Having said that, there were a few downsides to the story. I felt that some of the characters had very basic conversations which felt quite forced, and not natural. Maybe it was just me, but it felt like some conversations didn't really flow very well.

Also, there were a few things towards to end that got forgotten about. It was never revealed what exactly happened to the servant girl in the end and I felt there was a big chunk missing that could have been finished better. There was also a character at the end who got forgotten and then suddenly reappeared - I can't really explain without giving the ending away!!

But overall this is a really heart-warming, and scary little tale. It incorporates some clever historical facts as well and I will certainly recommend it. It is a perfect story to read now the colder weather is drawing in as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ghost House, 22 Oct. 2013
Iv been gripped by The Ghost House...... I haven't read a book in yrs because I struggle to keep my mind on anything as it tends to wander off the the cleaning n ironing that awaits- however I could not put my iPhone down when reading the ghost house! I have just finished it and while reading the last few pages I was so engrossed I was confused as to why my pillow was wet, there were tears streaming down my cheeks! I felt like I was watching all this happen in person!! Well done Helen Phifer!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 22 Oct. 2013
This is Helen's first book and I have to say it was a good read, really enjoyed it. Some of my enjoyment was based on the fact that I could relate to the area, however, this must not detract from the fact that it is a really good read, well written that builds up to the climax at the end. Well done Helen and I am looking forward to your next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 20 Oct. 2013
Fantastic book loved it all the way through. Edge of my seat reading it. Great ending, look forward to more

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 20 Oct. 2013
Very good story line - really enjoyed the characters too and being able to relate it to the local area! Hope Helen writes another soon!

‹ Previous | 113 14 1523 | Next ›