5.0 out of 5 stars Spine-chillingly brilliant!
I was gripped by The Ghost House from the absolute beginning when Annie Graham began exploring the old mansion in Abbey Woods where her brother was the caretaker.

Published 21 months ago by Bookish Bits

2.0 out of 5 stars oh dear, good story but.....
Published 16 months ago by Susan Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Spine-chillingly brilliant!, 10 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Ghost House (The Annie Graham series - Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

She found far more than she bargained for though, when a ghostly voice scared the living daylights out of her. She escaped back to her brother's house, determined never to set foot in the eerie old house again when she remembered grabbing an old leather bound book that she had been flicking through and stuffing it into her bag before she ran out.

She found it and realised that she had taken a journal which had been written by a housemaid, Alice Hughes, who had lived more than a hundred years previously in the manor house in the woods.

The story then flashes back between the late 19th century and the present day, with the diary of Alice, helping illustrate the story of the house in Abbey Woods and it's inhabitants, which holds the most terrible and gruesome secrets.

Whilst Annie is delving into the secrets of the mansion that she feels inexplicably drawn to, a young girl has disappeared in their town, and the police fear that time is running out to find her safe and well. As the death toll rises, they realise they are dealing with a serial killer who is very much on the loose, and he seems to have his sights set on Annie to be his spectacular finale.

The Ghost House is an incredibly gripping tale, full of spine chilling mystery and suspense (and a lovely romance!)

I absolutely loved to read Alice's tale and the flashbacks of the 19th century, as harrowing and heartbreaking as the were, and felt her fear and heartbreak as though it were a true story.

The police aspect seemed for me, extremely true to life and well researched, and the murders were as gruesome and chilling as you would expect in a book about a serial killer, although for me, not too awful to deter me at all, even though the ghost story at times left me peering round doors when I was alone.
Having said that, it took me less than twelve hours to complete as I really couldn't put it down.

I found the conclusion spectacular and it ended exactly how I would have liked. I loved the kick ass heroine, Annie, definitely not a simpering female and I enjoyed watching Will's character change around her!

To sum it up, The Ghost House is the most exciting book I have read in a very long time, and would make an absolutely perfect Halloween read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Should have been five stars, 27 July 2014
Sharon Booth (East Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
The first thing to say about this novel is that I love the cover. It really does lead you into the book and you're immediately longing to know what's through those gates, while at the same time being a little afraid of what you'll find.
This is Helen's debut novel and a gripping read it is, too. I honestly couldn't put it down, desperate to know what was going to happen next.
Police officer Annie Graham is not your typical heroine. She's recovering from a very nasty injury and has been wounded both physically and emotionally at the start of this book. Recovering at her brother's house while he is away, she becomes embroiled in a mystery surrounding the old house that he is caretaker of and, at the same time, finds herself in the middle of a missing person investigation that rapidly becomes more sinister. With ghosts, two serial killers and a medium bearing messages of warning, it's lucky for Annie that she has such good friends who are willing to look out for her. A budding romance with one of her colleagues brings some respite from the tension, although both Annie and her new love are in increasing danger.
As past and present collide, a horrific revelation and a gruesome discovery leads to a terrifying confrontation and a life-or-death struggle.
I honestly loved the story and thought it merited five stars, but the editing really let it down. If you are looking for a real page-turner and can overlook the punctuation errors and the annoying TM signs then I'd say go for it. Put it this way, I will be reading the sequel because, although the author has been let down here, she can certainly tell a gripping yarn!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkling debut, 6 Oct. 2013
I don't normally read books with supernatural elements but this one is fabulous. Past and present interweave and all the characters are well portrayed. I haven't read Catherine Cookson, but her name kept popping into my mind as I read the story from the past. From the beginning I was hooked, the pace was fast and it was full of suspense. I really recommend this. I read it in two sittings and am already looking forward to Helen's next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ghost House, 3 Oct. 2013
I am not normally a reader as i get very easily lost and confused, but this book converted me. The story was gripping and made me want to keep reading to see what happened next. It is well written and easy to keep track of who's who etc. I would definitely recommend it. I look forward to reading more by Helen Phifer :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Oct. 2013
I read this book in a couple of hours. I could not put it down a MUST read
Brilliantly written

5.0 out of 5 stars The ghost house by helen phifer, 3 Oct. 2013
If you love suspense then this is the book for you, gruesome in parts hilarious in others although I don't think I will be visiting the Abbey any time soon!

2.0 out of 5 stars oh dear, good story but....., 9 Mar. 2014
Susan Hall - See all my reviews
This is a good story, with well developed characters, some amusing dialogue; but oh dear, what really blew this for me was the poor - no make that complete lack of - editing. Random use of punctuation, short choppy sentences, irritating 'TM' symbols scattered throughout, confusing jumps between centuries/locations etc etc, suggests that editing wasn't something the author considered a neccessity. And whilst many people are clearly fine with this given the many 5 star reviews, I'm afraid I found myself mentally rewriting entire passages of text as I read this book to make sense of the narrative, which doesn't help the flow. Perhaps it's just me but it totally ruined any enjoyment of the book, and I won't be reading anything else by this author unless it comes with a cast iron guarantee of professional editing. Which is a shame because basically this is potentially an enjoyable read, although I'm still trying to get the virtual red pen off my Kindle screen :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A rip-roaring story. Brilliant., 2 Sept. 2014
What a great story. I loved it.
There were times I totally lost myself in the plot to the point I was sat in a hospital waiting room and had lost 20 minutes, I was sure I must have gasped in a couple of places. I even found myself sat up at 4am racing through the last couple of chapters as I wanted to know what happened.
Reading some of the reviews people have criticized the writing, saying there were commas missing and the writing was too simplistic. I think sometimes it's nice to read something that doesn't involve you having to swallow a dictionary.
If you're correcting the grammar then you're not enjoying the book for what it is, a rip roaring story with believable characters.
Well done Helen, just bought the next book and can't wait to get into it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont bother, 17 Jan. 2015
Sorry but this was complete drivel. Unbelievable plot, poor characterisation and no suspense. Defeats me how it has received good rating from some readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute best read, 7 Oct. 2013
Fantastic debut book from Helen. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it and cannot wait for second one. Gripping reading and I couldn't put it down.