on 3 December 2013
I was viewing the setup of this box with some trepidation as I've never had anything to do with Freesat, Sky or anything other than terrestrial tv. I had an existing satellite dish which I had never used before and a cable into a bedroom where I wanted to use the box. I had to put an F connecter on the cable which was easy to do and then somewhat nervously started the Manhattan setup.

This turned out to be amazingly simple and within 5 minutes I was flicking through the Freesat EPG. Setting up the non Freesat channels was just as easy and switching from one to the other was dead easy using the well thought out interface. The Plaza's display was phenomenal, the HD channels were stunning and the SD ones were as good, easily the equal of the new Freeview HD on the new Samsung tv in the living room. The box is small, neat and unobtrusive and performs amazingly well considering its the cheapest on the market.

My only grumbles would be that the remote is rather small and a bit rubbery and the Freesat channels cannot be organised into an order that suits me, ie, emulating the terrestrial channels, however I understand that this is a Freesat issue and not Manhattans. I cannot recommend this receiver highly enough, its great, I've already ordered its bigger brother the Plaza HDR-S with HDD recording facilities for my living room tv.
22 comments|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 October 2013
I took quite a lot of time to choose which BOX I wanted and looked at lots of reviews .. I don't need to record Programmes as would never have time or be bothered to watch them...Plus with latest TV's so much 'on there' that you can watch pretty much anything on catch up...or On Demand etc ....So this Basic Box is great! It gives me access to all the TV that I need.

The Company that I Ordered with was quite a bit cheaper ( maybe about £15 ) than the others !! So GREAT SAVINGS and ARRIVED SUPERFAST...PACKED SAFELY would recommend 5 STAR
on 28 October 2014
Absolutely delighted with this little box of delights.
It took literally a few minutes to set up and was so simple, anyone could do it.
The picture quality on the HD channels are excellent and it has everything I wanted to smooth the transition from a very expensive Sky account.
I certainly do not find the interface old fashioned or blocky - simple maybe, but effective.
I love the fact that the box has a full guide (just like Sky), has information for all programmes via an "I" button (just like Sky) and you can scroll forward to see what is on later (just like Sky).
The best feature is the favourite channels feature. As the channel numbers are different to Sky, you can set up a favourite list (actually, you can set up eight so one for each member of the family) to access your most used channels at the press of a button.
We went for this box upstairs to stop paying for the pricey second room set up with Sky and now have all we want upstairs free of charge rather than the £11 we were paying.
Cannot fault it.
Why on earth did we not do this sooner?
on 8 September 2015
arrived really quick easy to set up many more channels available than my old decoder; Very satisfied with the product and the speed it took to arrive considering we live in France: would recommend this; plus price really brilliant, with a massive saving over half the price of other sellers on line;
on 11 November 2013
Compact and basic, but in its own way quite pleasing. I'm currently running this side by side with the double the price Humax HB1000s to compare and here are a few observations for any fellow budget Freesat-ers.

The Plaza HD-S2 has fantastic picture quality, nothing remotely budget about that, even the Standard Def stuff on several normal channels upscales so nicely that it's hard to tell you're not in HD on smaller screens, watching an old black and white movie, it knocked freeview and even the Hummy into a cocked hat. Deep and rich.

It's very easy to set up and comes with everything you need, batteries, HDMI cable, etc. Tunes in quickly and easily and pulls in just about every channel you need. The interface is a little dated, blocky and bright on the eyes, especially compared to "<free time>" boxes, but if that doesn't bother you, it is also very easy to sort and scan through, lots of info on the screen at the same time, the ability to create your own guides/favourites mixed from freesat and non freesat channels is a very nice option, well done Manhattan!

Where it fails to impress for me is in the full EPG guide screen, there is no thumbnail of the current program and not even sound, just silence whenever you bring up the EPG, more annoying than you may imagine if you're used to ambient noise. I found the remote a little too cheap, fiddly with some hard to find buttons, especially in the evening/night, often used buttons hard to stab in low light movie watching conditions. Would have happily paid and extra £10 to have a similar remote to the Plaza HDR-S, perhaps there is an all in one out there that can replace it.

You have to keep in mind it's a £50 box though, with stunning picture quality and small dimensions, the User interface seems last generation at just the wrong time but the actual performance is good.
33 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2014
It would have been 5*, except each time it was first brought out of standby it reported "no signal". Off and on again and it was fine! The interface is great, everything was great apart from this. Sent back.
on 24 December 2014
Junk. Bought from Curry's but returned today after 3 months. Horrendous lip sync issues which cannot be fixed using the lip sync setting which just doesn't work properly. Also other general random irritations such as sound of background programme coming on now and then when switching to TV guide. Its cheap, its nasty, and its gone back to the shop.
on 13 December 2015
I bought four of these 2 years ago and so far two have packed up, to add insult to injury, the remote control range is only about 10feet. Really, do not touch this!!!
on 5 June 2014
Looking at others who have had problems, this Freesat box seems to have common faults - an INABILITY TO RECOGNISE YOUR POSTCODE and a PROBLEM DURING INSTALLATION with recognising the signal from the satellite dish.

If you get it working it's a bit of a miracle, but it can be done, but it defaults to LONDON CHANNELS so if you live in London you may not notice the problem. But elsewhere you will.

Let me say from the outset that my dish positioning is fine because I have previously used a Goodmans box.
My signal strength is over 90% and signal quality is 97%.

The first response from technical support was 'there's a problem with the dish. You need an attenuator. You can buy one from Maplins'. I clearly don't but it's a very easy way of getting you off the line and wasting a couple of days getting one installed only to find out that it's not the right answer.

When I pointed out the weaknesses in his solution he managed to get me off the line by asking for my postcode so that he could 'check it'. He could have checked it then and there as it's a no-brainer to sort and doesn't get the problem solved but nevertheless it got me off the line.

Anyway I eventually called the technician back to find that 'oh, you need to send the box back. It has a fault.' He could have told me this by asking the right questions, accepting my answers and telling me then-and-there. But he didn't.

If you know that your dish has been properly installed with good signal strength and quality and your Manhattan Plaza HD-S2 has problems at install and then when you finally persuade it to work defaults to London channels don't be fobbed off by their 'technical support'. You have a faulty box.

Do I want another one? No. I don't need these problems. Something like this should work straight out of the box. This box is going back once I've sent this message.

Do you want to buy one? Well, ask yourself "Do I want to take a gamble?"
on 21 December 2013
After purchase, the box was received ahead of the expected delivery date. Great effort from Amazon & the Postal Service, especially since it is the festive period.

This is was a replacement for a Sagemcom FreeSat box (lasted 1 month / non recommended brand).

After unboxing, connection was as simple as plug the power in, connect the satellite & the HDMI cable. The size of the unit is a little bit over 3 dvd cases stacked.

Boot up was less than 15secs before being presented with the Setup Screens. Selected screen type & resolution, added postcode. All channels were scanned and added in under 2mins. Once parental code of choice added. Box was then fully functional.

The EPG has some great points and not so great points. The not so great points are purely aesthetic. For a new product that has just came to market, I would have expected the manufacturer Manhattan to have used a more upto date look & feel. It is however 100% functional.

The EPG allows for storing of 8 favourite lists. This is great for a large family. Setting up the first 3 favourite lists was simple, intuitive and done within 5 minutes. Another of the great EPG features is to add non FreeSat FTA channels into the system. After a quick re-scan of the Satellite feed, these are then available from the OK button on the remote and can be added to your favourite lists.

The remote itself is functional. No bells or whistles, simple rubber keys. Though I use a 'OneForAll' Essence 4 to control multiple devices and I am yet to find a code that controls the Manhattan S2 box (though this is a OneForAll issue).

It would have been 5stars, if it had a more updated EPG.

All in all, I am really pleased with the purchase and for less than £50 it packs a lot of bang for your buck.