1,145 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size, perfect tablet, almost!
Published 14 months ago by Anthony Lau

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little tablet.
Published 2 months ago by Mr Yeltsin

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size, perfect tablet, almost!, 12 Sep 2013
Anthony Lau (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus Google Nexus 7 7-inch Tablet (2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC) (Personal Computers)
The screen on this tablet is simply stunning, the 1920x1200 resolution is even crisper than your Full HD 1080p TV. The colours are great, brightness is unmatched and its pixel density is even higher than the iPad with Retina display. I had the old Nexus 7 before for a few months and I can certainly notice the speed boost and the better screen. However if I still had my Nexus 7 (which I sold about 8 months ago as I thought a netbook would be more useful, how wrong was I?!), I wouldn't necessarily sell it immediately for this. Yes the screen is crisper and has a faster processor, however the Nexus 7 is capable of doing the same task being a tad thicker and I wouldn't mind waiting a second or two more for it to load. This is because the old Nexus 7 was stunning at its time and still is. On the other hand, if you don't have a 7" tablet or have something like the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 or Tab 3 7.0 then this would be an amazing buy. I prefer Google Nexus devices because they have the fastest updates by a mile and also they are selling at a thin profit hoping that you would pay for the services on the play store. This means you're getting about £180-190 worth of hardware and paying £200. Compared to Samsung Galaxy tabs where they want immediate profit, you'll be getting £100 hardware and paying £180 for the tab 3. This is something to consider if you want the best bang for buck device.

Now lets talk about the specs. The CPU have been updated to a 1.5Ghz Snapdragon Krait core which is about 1.5-2x faster than the old Tegra 3 A9 cores running at same speed. This is very noticeable when loading webpages and launching apps. The GPU have been upgrade to the Adreno 320 which is 3-4x faster than the old Tegra 3 graphics however the device packs about 2.3x more pixels so you do notice smoother gameplay but due to the resolution its not like its 3-4x smoother than the predecessor. RAM have been upgraded to 2GB so you can store have more background apps running. The screen ofcourse being the most important update, now packs 323ppi 1920x1200 which is much brighter so its perfect for outdoor viewing. They've also added a 5MP rear camera capable of 1080p video capature and upgraded the front camera to 1.2MP and 720P HD video capture. Overall a much expected update, but I found it odd they had to up the pricing so much. Nevertheless, still £70 cheaper than the iPad Mini. Atleast they didn't have some obscure exchange rate and upping the price by $30 only meant a £40 increase.

Now you might ask why did I say its perfect but almost. Well nothing is perfect! Anyhow Android is currently still lacking tablet optimized apps, most of them are enlarged phone apps which is not as intuitive to use compared to the massive number of tablet apps the iPad Mini has. Also even though 7" is pretty much a perfect size, I still feel I could use the extra inch at times when browsing and have an 8". However that would increase the cost due to a larger display and a reduced battery life due to higher power consumption. The immense resolution sort of makes up for this as the text is clear even though being quite small. Its a hard decision. But in the end, there is no tablet on the market that can match the amount of hardware you're getting for your money along with the warranty and support. I can't really knock star off for those cons as I can deal with them and the apps situation will be solved overtime as they are updated. ASUS is truly amazing to be able to build such a device and Google to sell it at such a price. Its a perfect 5/5 star rating however it would be threatened by the iPad Mini 2 if they manage to squeeze a retina display with updated specs and more RAM at the same price. Because overall they still have the edge of better apps. But I wouldn't wait and would just get the Nexus 7 now as its a worthwhile buy definitely, unless you already have the old one then you might want to see how much you get for it first and see for yourself or you have already invest heavily in the Apple ecosystem's apps, iTunes etc you would be better of waiting for the iPad Mini 2. You can't do without a tablet nowadays! Its like must having a PC back 10 years ago in my opinion.

-----

EDIT: A day into using it, I must say the screen is marvelous. After using it all day and looking back at my Galaxy Grand, its like night and day. The pixels become so obvious and just looking at text on the Nexus's screen becomes a joy.

Also I'm going to add a few things that I missed out. The build quality is very good for a plastic device, there is no flex at all and the back isn't slippy and has some grip to it but somehow feels quite smooth. The stereo speakers with one at the top and one at the bottom is amazing, one of the best speakers that I have heard but still can't be compared to front speakers that you see on the Nexus 10 and HTC One but its close. Charge time should be about 3.5-4 hours, I charged it from 50% out of the box to full and it took about 1.5-2 hours (didn't time it exactly). So my advice is: before they run out of stock, go get one now! :)

-----

EDIT 2: (24th Oct 13) After a month and a bit into using this and with the iPad Mini with Retina just announced, I thought I'll just make an update. Tablet is still blazing fast even though I have over 20GB of content on it. No noticeable lag or slowdown which is pretty good for an Android device. A full charge can last 3-4 days depending on use, I tend to use it as a reading/browsing device for 1-2 hours a day before sleeping and about half an hour to an hour in the morning. Screen brightness is quite amazing, the outdoor visibility is just amazing and the screen itself is beautiful. The Rear Camera is pretty bad though, unless its just for quick snaps. But who takes pictures with a tablet anyways. On the other hand, the front facing camera is pretty decent with Skype/Hangout and taking selfies. Still love it after a month, its just such a beautiful device and soo thin! Real Racing 3 and Asphalt 8 runs beautifully on the Nexus 7, you'd forget that its a tablet and you're not on the PS3 or Xbox!

Now that the iPad mini with retina is coming out, I'd have to say my conclusion has to be altered. I would instead only solely recommend the Nexus 7 between the two as they've upped the iPad Minis price too much in my opinion. The screen density is virtually identical to the Nexus 7. The iPads CPU/GPU might be a bit faster, but to be fair you wouldn't notice. The Nexus 7's A15 quad is really blazing fast. So no real good reason to go for the iPad mini unless you have heavily invested into iTunes and the Appstore or REALLY need that extra 1 inch. 7" is really the sweet spot for portability, at 8" its nicer but it would be noticeably bigger in my opinion when travelling. I wouldn't pay £120 more which is 60% more over the Nexus 7 for an iPad Mini with Retina. Do you get 60% more screen area? No. Do you get a 60% faster CPU/GPU? No. Do you get 60% more RAM or storage space? No. So its up to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Small Tablet, 30 Aug 2013
robotfish "robotfish" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've had my new Nexus 7 32GB tablet for a while now, having picked one up from a Bestbuy in the USA. My impressions of it are hugely positive.

Firstly the size: it is a little narrower than the old Nexus 7 (which I also own, with a smashed screen, oops) and is all the better for it. The bezel is narrower, not the screen. It is a delight to pick up and use, being both lighter and (to my eyes) better looking than the older version. Actually the new shape makes it resemble a large phone rather than a small tablet.

The display: it is HD. 1920 lines versus the 1280 of the older model. Can you notice it? Not really. The screen is too small to really see any difference. The benefits are probably all in marketing, or for someone with keener eyes than mine. However the screen is certainly more colourful than the old Nexus 7 which I felt was washed out compared to products such as the iPad and my phone (an HTC One). One downside on the glass: it smudges much more easily than an ipad. New owners (myself included) will be slightly obsessive with their screen cleaning.

The cover: the back of the device is a matt rubbery/plastic and is great to touch and hold.

The sound: this is (from external speaker) a vast improvement on the old model. Obviously its not super hi-fi, but it is fine for casual use.

Apps: Most of my apps copied across. Two didn't: BBC iPlayer and EA Tiger Woods 2012. Both of these play happily on my old Nexus 7 (also running Android 4.3) I think the issue is that neither can be installed on 4.3. I installed them on my old Nexus on Android 4.2, then upgraded. Presumably that is supported! BBC iPlayer is a big issue for me. When BBC upgrade this app to be installable on 4.3 I hope they add downloads. Still waiting.....

Price: I got mine for £172 which is substantially cheaper (approx £70?) then the UK RRP. That's a lot. Obviously not worth flying to America for but does raise the question of WHY.

Camera: hmm...possibly not my first use of a tablet, but it has one on the back and on the front, and it takes pictures. Do not throw away your DSLR yet.

Battery life: I am catching up on old TV series during my commute. Twin Peaks, The Sopranos, West Wing...I would say I am getting up to 10 hours of video playback, which is superb.

eReader: The Kindle app works fine. Obviously reading on a backlit screen like this is inferior to a real Kindle as it is more of an eyestrain, but it is perfectly OK for the purpose in shorter bursts.

Conclusion: in our house we have a variety of touch screens: iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, HTC One, Nexus 7 (both models now) and a Samsung Galaxy S2. It is absolutely still true that the slicker user experience is with the Apple devices. However the gap is narrowing, and for a user who tinkers a bit more than necessary the Android platform is superb. I like the fact I can just load any video files onto the device and find an app that will play them. So far I am really enjoying this tablet, and honestly the decision on this vs the ipad mini could come down to price alone (assuming the BBC get their act together soon). There isn't any measurable way the iPad mini is superior (yet). And this doesn't just beat the ipad mini on price, it murders the ipad mini on price.

EDIT: hurrah! As of today 5th Sept the BBC app is not only now available to download on 4.3, but program downloads work too and look amazing. And that, ladies and gentlemen, makes the experience complete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 7" Tablet, 19 Jan 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Having owned the Nexus 7 (2013 edition) since the release date, I have thoroughly gone through every nook and cranny of this little gem, and believe that this is still the best 7" tablet to date!!

Google has really nailed it... and the competition, when it comes to practicality and affordability. Now I own various tablets, including the iPad mini, yet I have spent far more time using the Nexus 7 than any other.

The form factor and slim, lightweight design means that it still is the most portable tablet on the market. The stunning display and a speedy quad core processor make for a very pleasant user experience.

Compatibility with third party hardware and pricing should serve as a wakeup call for Apple!!

----------------

There are many other android tablets hitting the market on a daily basis, but what sets this particular tablet apart are:

- Responsive 7.02inch, 1920X1200 IPS screen (323 ppi), delivering stunning image quality

- Zippy Qualcomm Snapdragon(tm) S4 Pro processor clocked at 1.5GHz with an Adreno 320 graphics processor which handles gaming seamlessly. (Major upgrades to the older Nexus)

- 2GB RAM which is more than enough to handle the most demanding of applications

- Long battery life. Up to 9 hours of continuous use

- Near field communication (NFC): Enables NFC devices to establish radio communication with each other by bringing them into close proximity. No entering of codes is required

- Wireless Charging support via any Qi charger

- Portability and form factor

- Aggressive pricing

--------------------------

I will not delve further into the full specifications, as these can be easily viewed on various websites. After all specs mean nothing unless they translate into a user friendly experience.

All I can say is that the Nexus 7 is a pleasure to use, with very fast loading webpages and applications. It definitely is a premium tablet and will win the hearts of many.

It has definitely won mine!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Experienced tablet user review, 12 Jun 2014
This is my 4th tablet, after a few excursions into the cheap Chinese tablet market (unsuccessfully, 2 failed with battery issues and too expensive to return to China). I have the previous series 1 Nexus 7, which I was also impressed with and has now been commandeered by my 10 year old son for gaming apps.
So in comparison to the series 1 Nexus 7, you immediately notice the improved screen resolution on power up. The slight improvement in performance from the additional RAM and processing power is again noticeable (slightly). So everything I liked about the series 1 with more of everything, there doesn't appear to be a downside.
Setting up took less than an hour, which included an operating system update from Android. This is where having a Google branded tablet is a bonus, you get the updates as soon as they're released. I entered my Gmail ID and was instantly presented with a list of Apps I'd previously downloaded and given a choice of downloading them again, the browser has also transferred my bookmarks and saved my passwords, nice!
I'm a fan of the Android OS, simple and intuitive to use and I always seem to be able to find a solution to any issues, few that there are. Apps are plentiful and cheap, if not free! Anyone looking for an alternative to an iPad with similar levels of quality wouldn't be disappointed here.
Only issue I've encountered in the week of use is a slight stuttering in playback of downloaded BBC iPlayer programmes, I can't see any options for changing between hardware and software decoding but I'll keep looking for a solution.
I also purchased the MoKo Google New Nexus 7 FHD 2nd Gen Case - Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart-shell Stand Case, which lives up to its name and I would also recommend. Could only purchase in black though.
Third purchase was a Expower(R) QI standard Wireless Charger for Google Nexus 5 and Goole Nexus 7 II FHD Tablet, again a great piece of kit and works through the above case. I've had issues before with damaging devices by the constant plugging and unplugging of the micro USB for charging, so hopefully this should help with that.
If you buy the tablet I would recommend the above accessories.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm hooked!, 20 Sep 2014
Sean Ryan (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
My first tablet and I'm loving it. It wasn't intended as my primary mobile internet device (I use a smartphone for that); and for home-computing I use a laptop. The only reason for buying this was for travelling so I could use maps, travel guides and it would double-up as an e-reader. The size is just right for using on the go outdoors: it can easily be held in one hand... but don't be mistaken - this isn't just a biggish mobile phone - it's a proper tablet! It will just fit into the pocket of cargo-style trousers, so you'll not need to keep getting it in and out of your bag if you're regularly referring to it for directions and details of holiday attractions. Screen size is absolutely perfect for my intended use.
I had been concerned about screen reflection outdoors, but it's still clear in the sunshine.
It's great as an e-reader, too. I find it comfortable to read.
The speakers are suprisingly powerful and clear.
The closeness of the on/off and the volume up/down buttons is annoying (I'm forever pressing the wrong one), and they're also quite difficult to activate: although they're on the side, you need to press from the back (pinch them) which is fiddly. Minor grumbles only.
Battery life is good... I've used the Nexus for entire days outdoors regularly using offline maps, and browsing stored docs and not yet run out of charge.
Speed of apps and switching apps is good.
One of the best purchases I've made in a long while.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Tablet I've Ever Used, 13 Sep 2013
Full disclosure; I've been an Apple guy since 2006. I currently own 3 iMacs, 2 MacBook Pros and a MacBook Air.

I've also been an iOS guy since 2008. I've owned the iPhone 3, 4, 4S and I bought a 64Gb iPhone 5 the day it was released. I've had the iPad 1, and I own a retina iPad, and an iPad Mini, as does my daughter.

However, over the past several months I've become disillusioned with the iOS platform. And after using a developer version of iOS7 that feeling didn't go away.

So a month or so ago I bought the HTC One phone and fell in love with Android.

And it was Android that led me to the Nexus 7.

Logging into the Google Play store I saw the advert for the Nexus 7 and was smitten by it. I already knew how superior Android is to iOS and I was getting tired of my iPad Mini's lack of a retina - or HD - display. The iPad Mini was my most used device and it was running iOS 7.

Researching the Nexus 7 2nd edition further, I realised that it IS the best small tablet on the market, so I took the plunge and purchase the 32Gb version.

Obviously I can compare it to the full suite of Apple mobile devices, so I'm talking from a position of having "been there, done that" with Apple.

No, the overall build quality isn't as 1st class as the iPad Mini.

But the Nexus 7 *feels* more comfortable, more tactile...just BETTER in the hand. The screen is incredible. It's almost uncomfortable to use the display at full brightness, and text on websites, books, Flipboard, Twitter, Facebook etc, is crisp and sharp thanks to the tablet's incredibly high pixel count.

Netflix is soooo good on it, a much better viewing experience than the iPad Mini.

The screen smudges up much more easily than Apple tablets, however, so bear that in mind. And you'll definitely want to get a case and/or screen protector.

Android 4.3 is a joy to use, and the tablet's processing power and RAM mean that it snaps between apps. Much faster, more capable than any of my iPads.

The camera isn't brilliant, and this is one area where - in my opinion - the iPad Mini trumps it. But if you're planning to use your tablet as a camera, you probably want to reassess that strategy...

Overall, I can't recommend the Nexus 7 2 highly enough. The price point is fantastic, the screen is incredible, the user experience of Android 4.3 is fantastic, the device is just right in the hand.

Buy one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible tablet for the price!, 26 Sep 2014
I bought this tablet 2 months ago as an upgrade from the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and what an upgrade it has turned out to be!

Performance wise this is just on another level to my old Galaxy Tab 2. The Tab 2 was ok but could sometimes freeze up and lagged if you done too much at once (Which was never much anyway!) This however is so smooth. I can open as many apps as I want, play games, browse the internet and nothing seems to slow it down.

The 7” screen is simply stunning. I have played 1080p movies on it and it’s absolutely crystal clear, the same goes for photos which look beautiful and sharp.

Camera is pretty good at 5mp and there if you need it to take a quick snap but don’t expect to be wowed by it. However this goes for all tablets as they are still well behind phone cameras.

I also love how Nexus don’t bloat it down with unnecessary apps that you will never use and can’t removed unless you root the device (Take note Samsung). This is just a pure Android experience and it’s really a joy to use.

The ONLY thing I wished it had was a bigger screen or at least make a newer version of the Nexus 10.

Overall I cannot recommended this tablet enough, for the money it’s an absolute steal!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little tablet., 4 Sep 2014
Mr Yeltsin (CHESTER, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I had the original Nexus 7 (V1), and this one is better, but not by a huge margin. It doesn't bring enough extra features beyond those mentioned below to the party to warrant the upgrade, and I sent mine back fairly soon after because its digitiser was behaving oddly. Android 4.3 on my old V1 made it fast and responsive, so you barely noticed much difference on the desktop (palmtop?), apart from the extra pixels sharpening up the display a little. Then 4.4 came along, and V1 is like wading through treacle now. :(

There are plenty of reasons to get a new Nexus 7, such as lightness, screen, the availability of prompt upgrades to the latest version of Android, but as usual with OS updates, as soon as your device has been superceded, it'll slow down with each successive update, so it might be worth keeping it stock.

Boris.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the purpose of Ebay Business Sales & Movies on the Go, 9 Oct 2014
Naomi_B (southport,england) - See all my reviews
The main reason I purchased a tablet was for watching movies and TV on the go. The other reason I used portable devices is for Ebay as a business seller, mainly for notifications of sales and to reply to messages . For those using the Nexus to list, the photos are nice quality and the touch screen is sensitive enough for writing however for description that are fanciful, unless you are a wizard with HTML than the tablets will list in simple without bold /colour /font etc and so for me are not as good as a laptop yet. Certainly the crisp clear images that the nexus produces make it perfect for watching movies. The touchpad is sensitive and rapidly responds. I'm using wifi with the device and find using its google chrome as easy as the laptop. As an Apple Iphone owner I really can't tell the difference in speed and sensitivity between the nexus 7 tablet and the iphone, the nexus is just as fast

I wasn't sure I would get Amazon instant video on the Nexus 7 as I know there had been problems for many users trying it, however after downloading Amazon App, going to my instant video account and pressing to watch a show, amazon quickly offered me the instant video app and informed me to click 'unknown sources' in settings on the nexus 7 which I did and was able to download amazon to watch. However I do want to keep my nexus secure from unofficial apps so after the download I switched 'unknown sources' allowed off and it has not affected amazon instant video in the slightest, so for those worried about clicking the setting change, if you really want the amazon video app and are struggling to get it to work, try this method and switch back the security setting after download.

Considering the difference in price between an Apple Ipad air and this; unless you have something specific in mind, such as the bigger array of apps on Apple or a specification you know of that only apple do then I'd say choose the nexus 7 instead, especially if it is for shows and music as the sound and image quality is excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this, my first tablet, 28 Jun 2014
I love this, my first tablet. I like to sit and browse the net while listening to my music system, but hated having my noisy laptop fan distract me. This thing is silent, so I just sit back with it on my lap and browse to my heart's content. Great for reading ebooks when travelling too. The small screen is not too inhibiting because a) it is a really good resolution, and b) a quick double-tap zooms in on whatever you are reading.

Pros: Silent, ultra-clear hi-res screen, small and portable, battery lasts several hours.
Cons: An SD card slot would be nice, but the micro-USB slot can be used to attach an external memory stick or powered drive via a little adapter that can be purchased for a couple of quid. You need to pay for an app to allow full functionality of this though. It also doesn't play embedded flash videos, which is a bit annoying, but to be fair this is a limitation of Android, not the Nexus.

One of the first things I did was install Firefox for Android, with an Ad blocker (Bluhell Firewall) and a YouTube add-on for Firefox that directs to YouTube when tapping on an embedded vid (to allow fullscreen video functionality). I also installed the freeware Splashtop so I can access my laptop remotely, which is great for keeping an eye on downloads, or anything else for that matter.

There are other excellent tablets on the market, but this one is certainly worth considering at the price.