5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly innovative approach to health & wellbeing
As a devotee of tennis and recently been to the ATP finals in London I was curious to know how Djokovic has become so focused in every part of his game. I bought this book for my adult son, also a tennis fan, but haven't been able to put it down.

Published 11 months ago by GillL

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it science?
Strange mix of science and superstition but interesting
Published 2 months ago by Chris T.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly innovative approach to health & wellbeing, 18 Nov 2013

This small book is refreshing in that it is a not a recipe book but a recipe for life book. He tells you to consider changing habits, not instructing you to do so, and explains why his approach to eating can lift you to new heights. The final choices are up to the individual and as he says, his way enables himself to be at and stay at the very top of his sport. Other people's goals are different but the means of reaching them are roughly the same for everyone.

He describes a typical daily menu for himself, explains why the time of eating different foods can majorly affect performance, provides simple but effective exercises that anyone can do to keep flexible, and stresses the importance of regular sleep.

There are failings, in that he doesn't really acknowledge weaknesses strongly enough, or how a relatively limited diet with few treats might impact on family meals etc, but he talks from experience and does not claim to be right or to be a nutritional expert. Not many people are as single minded as he is, and able to command or desire the rigorous approach to meals or have such an ordered life as he does. But he does give us all something to aspire to.

You also learn a little about the man himself, and you are left wanting to know more and to see how he develops in the future.

This is an admirable book, with much to mull and digest, a little at a time, with a good dose of open-mindedness.
Having bought it for my son, I am hoping that someone buys it me for Christmas, as it is a book I will constantly dip into to keep myself on track.

4.0 out of 5 stars Serve To Win, 12 Oct 2013
Good, light read and perfect for anyone who has a low state of awareness about the world's actual food industry and the effects it oftentimes causes to our physical and mental well-being. If, however, you are more educated about these topics (like me) then it's probably a bit too short and broad to really add a lot of value. Nevertheless, if you're a big tennis fan (like me), it's still nice to learn about how Djoko grew up and made it to the top. For a real tennis autobiography though you should read Agassi's 'Open'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting if you want to lead a healthier life, 3 Sep 2013
I'd pretty much buy anything by Novak Djokovic as I'm a huge admirer of his, but I guess this book is not so much about the man himself than a life-changing experience that everyone should read. It doesn't matter if you are an athlete or not, many people suffer a celiac desease without knowing, much like it happened to Novak. At least this book will enlighten a lot of people about the changes in diet that can lead to a healthier, more fulfilling life. I recently discovered i was intolerant to gluten and I must thank Novak for that. He's always been a great role model for people and I value that he takes his time to share his findings with all of us. Number 1 on and off the court.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 8 Sep 2013
I bought the book partly because I'm big fan, but also because I have a daughter who is/was gluten intolerant. (after the treatment at local kinesiology expert more than 90% of her gluten intolerant symptoms are now gone :-))
I was surprised to see that the book is much more a study on how to eat gluten-free, then on his life as a tennis player. The book is full of scientific results, supporting gluten free diet, and why gluten and diary diet is so good for you. We are defenetly going to use recepies from the book.
Even though the 95% of the book is about gluten and healthy diet, for me the book is much more about what is sometimes needed to achieve dreams, even though in the process you have to abandon your favourite food(for Djokovic was pizza).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 3 Oct 2013
I really enjoyed reading it. I love the recipes and the book full of so many useful advises. Thank you Novak, we are proud of you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Note for Novak, 25 Aug 2014
Novak, This is one of the best books for motivating sportsmen to clean up their act and take responsibility for their lifestyles. It is an inspirational book and one I I have used to inspire me in my new business. An excellent buy for anyone making new starts and believing they could be the very best in their field. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real insight, 17 Sep 2013
Good mix of advice on gluten free diet and insight into his early and sorting life. Definitely view him differently now. My only gripe is that he recommends things like gluten free pasta. Advice for celiacs from progressive US doctors now is to avoid all grains (as they all contain a similar protein to gluten- it's called avein in oats for example), as many celiacs don't show stomach healing ona traditional gluten free diet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought the Kindle edition and it is a good read - Djokovic takes us right through from his ..., 29 July 2014
S. Ayling - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serve To Win: The 14-Day Gluten-free Plan for Physical and Mental Excellence (Kindle Edition)
Bought the Kindle edition and it is a good read - Djokovic takes us right through from his early life in his war-torn homeland and his quest to be a champion. Great to see that the foreword was by Wiliam Davis MD [Wheat Belly Cookbook]. Have tried a couple of the recipes and although I won't be following Djokovic's regime as closely as he does - and he himself tells the reader he doesn't expect this - it is another useful aid to following a gluten-free plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars quietly inspiring, 7 July 2014
I bought this book because Novak Djokovic has a story to tell. His personal biography, coming from a background of adversity to being NO. 1 in the world of tennis is quite some achievement. But for me personally I was more interested in the process through the change in diet and exercise. Looking to incorporate gluten free into a vegetarian diet is not easy and I was in need of inspiration and although Novak isn't vegetarian, I was interested to know how he structured his daily food intake for health and stamina and fitness, without gluten. I found that this book has filled lots of gaps in my understanding of what it means to be gluten free. To put together good healthy alternative ways of eating. This is so usable. A feeding of the soul as well as body and mind. Thank you Novak and congratulations on being 2014 champion. I realise you probably won't get that message but thought I would add it in anyway. Now all I have to do is embrace gluten free eating - INSPIRING - Thank You

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changer, 27 Jun 2014
Great book, read it, lose weight, feel great. Don't take food intolerances lightly. If you have one to gluten I can assure you it's affecting your life both physically and mentally.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›