4.0 out of 5 stars Side by Side compared to the G3 (See image in Customer Gallery), 1 Feb 2014
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Update: WEF an update to Photomatix 15 Feb (for me) the software now works perfectly with RAW files from this camera.

UPDATE: If you use Photomatix Pro for HDR using RAW files then read my note I have added at the bottom of this review (02/02/14)
UPDATE: Solving WiFi connection issue when no Access Point found by camera. See bottom of review (02/02/14)

I own a G3 and bought the GX7 as an upgrade and to be able to use my existing lens collection. I have just uploaded an image to the customer gallery which shows an extreme zoom in of photos taken within 5 minutes of each other using exactly the same settings on each camera and lens. I zoomed in using photoshop until the pixels appeared on screen then did a screen capture at this maximum magnification. The settings are in the text of the image.

The bottom line is that in real world conditions the G3 is just as good as the GX7 and in fact is much easier to use. The GX7 is a lovely camera, well built and with a fantastic range of features that the G3 doesn't have. Controlling the camera using my Xperia Z Pad was amazing. The camera itself has a high quality feel in the hand, I find all of the switches and dials easy to locate and use and they are very intuitive.

However, extra features aside, I have found the much cheaper G3 (249 inc lens) gives results which are just as good as the GX7. In fact I find the metering on the G3 to be better than the GX7 which constantly seems to underexpose by about a stop. (I have checked all settings BTW) I took both cameras out and about around town and took similar photos with both cameras, printed them out and showed them to a couple of friends who are not into photography. Both preferred the photos shot with the G3. I printed straight out of camera without any editing.

If I were on a budget then I would recommend the G3 over the GX7, leaving plenty over to buy a couple of extra lenses. However if I did not have the G3 to compare it to I would have been very happy with the GX7.

The bottom line to me seems to be that what you are paying for is the better build quality and additional features such as WiFi and not for any improvement in image quality. As a side note whenever I have compared my Panasonics to my Sony 18 and 20mp cameras, the Panasonic 16mp always beat them by a light year in image quality. So while I am critical that there is no real difference between the 3 and 7, Panasonic are already starting from a high point anyway.

NOTE ON PHOTOMATIX PRO HDR SOFTWARE

This software has a major issue processing RAW files from this camera. This is not an issue with RAW files produced by the Panasonic G3. The software seems unable to detect the correct white balance and whatever setting you use within the software it generates a strong colour cast. This is not an issue in Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 5 or OnOne Photosuite 8. I have downloaded a trial of Google's HDR Efex Pro 2 and it interprets the GX7 RAW files without any issue, so I guess there is just something in the new Panasonic RAW files that Photomatix cannot cope with. I have contacted technical support to see if they can offer a solution. Update (04/02/14) The developers have confirmed that there is an issue between Photomatix and the GX7 RAW format which they are fixing now and should be released as an update in the very near future.

NOTE ON WiFi not being found by the GX7

If you try to setup WiFi to connect to your home network and the camera cannot detect an access point then you may have a similar issue to me. I use a BT Homehub and I had the WiFi set to automatic channel selection, this allows the router to decide which is the best 'local' channel. I was unable to find an access point with the GX7. When I looked at the network I found the Homehub had allocated channel 13. By changing to a manual setting and allocating channel 10 the GX7 found the network immediately. I would guess anything above 10 is invisible to the GX7.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 21 Feb 2014
Have the camera for 4 months and quite simply it is great .
High quality photos /videos perfect for the work I do
I upgraded from a GX1 and I am not disappointed .
The only flaw I can see is that the camera has has no video stabilization for Olympus lenses

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic has nailed it, 23 Oct 2013
I've been waiting a couple of years for a more "serious" compact system camera (I almost bought GX1 when it came out but decided to wait a bit longer) and Panasonic has finally nailed it. There's no point in repeating its feature set but I have to say the overall ergonomy and manual controls are great, it's a joy to shoot with. IBIS and viewfinder are certainly welcome too. I'm also glad Panasonic stuck to its traditional understated styling and didn't make the camera overly retro. Wasn't it Aristotle who said the whole is greater than the sum of its parts? The GX7 exactly fits this description.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic GX7, 8 Jun 2014
Paul Symes - See all my reviews
Very impressed with it. It's quite small and light. The pictures are very sharp. The video is high quality. Panasonic had an offer that if you sent them proof of purchase they would send you a free lens. They sent me a Panasonic 12-32mm lens which is very nice indeed - not as high quality as the 20mm that came with it but a very usable wide angle lens.

I've uploaded some pictures here:

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars GX7 is a camera you can count in any scenerio, 23 April 2014
M. N. Akhtar "stencil age" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the most feature packed, reasonably priced and attractive camera to date. For me, the most attractive feature was its electronic shutter, which is completely silent, so much so that you only hear little wizz of the lens sometime, and is completely unnoticed in any place where silence needs to be observed, like candid, religious places, birds photos etc.

Image quality is top notch too with this sensor and Panasonic has improved it a lot compare to initial G/GF/GX series, matching up to the flagship GH models like GH3.

If I have to pick any cons, then electronic viewfinder is not as comfortable as GH1 (the camera I was using before) and the IBIS (though it is a welcome addition) is not perfect, although it is not buggy as some light weight Olympus bodies.

It's Wifi implementation is very easy to connect and I found no trouble at all capturing photos from Android phone remote app.

Looks are subjective but to my eyes its best to date m4/3 body, very well made camera with beautifully crafted and buttons of right sizes and behavior and the bundled lens has same polish and rigid shell.

All the missing features like Panorama mode and HDR also implemented.

I am very satisfied and it's highly recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CSC Camera, 11 July 2014
Alasdair Wilkie "Alasdair_Wilkie" (Wokingham, UK) - See all my reviews
A brilliant cameras and now my main camera, replacing my Olympus E620. Using the lighter M4/3rds lenses makes a great difference to my back, carrying four or five lenses is in bag, saving about 30% weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good,, 8 Jun 2014
Almost as good as my Canon D5 mark2. But mutch lighter.Plus the tuch screen.
That is about it. no more to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great camera - everything I expected!, 1 Jun 2014
Coming from an 35mm APS-C background, I was wanting something smaller and lighter. I had looked at micro-four-thirds in the past, and the bodies and lenses I saw then were not /that/ much smaller, and there was no EVF, so I didn't buy. This camera is not cheap, but it includes an EVF which is very clear, and almost every other feature under the sun! The fact that the Advance Features manual runs to nearly 400 pages may put some buyers off, but there are simple shooting modes available if you wish. I still find that I'm pressing buttons when I shouldn't, so I do need to be careful and look what the viewfinder is telling me. I'm only a week into using the camera so I have a lot to learn about it. I am expecting the battery not to last as long as on a 35mm DSLR, so I also bought a lower-cost spare battery. I bought the 20mm pancake lens for lower-light use, and the "kit" of camera and lens saved some money on buying separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, 5 May 2014
so far is it great except i think the flash feels flimsy though and needs to be more robust but i will not use often as low light ability is good, finding the right case for the 20mm lens version is proving difficult but otherwise the camera is pretty good

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular!, 26 Oct 2013
I had a Nex-7 camera with Zeiss 85mm F1.4 lens, which I liked very much. However, when the Lumix GX7 was released last month (Sep-2013), I replaced the Nex-7. I now carry the Lumix GX7 with a Leica Summarit 50mm F2.5 lens & Voigtlander 35mm F2.5 Lens, which combination I like much better than the Nex-7. Although the Nex-7 is 24 megapixels while the GX7 is 16, I prefer the photos of the GX7. Overall, I prefer the set of features & their arrangement in the GX7. The choices in native lenses is richer for a micro 4/3 camera body, such as the GX7, than the Nex line. I have had the GX7 for about a month and I am very, very happy with it. I did like my Nex-7 but I do not miss it.