5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 21 Feb 2014
Have the camera for 4 months and quite simply it is great .
High quality photos /videos perfect for the work I do
I upgraded from a GX1 and I am not disappointed .
The only flaw I can see is that the camera has has no video stabilization for Olympus lenses

4.0 out of 5 stars Side by Side compared to the G3 (See image in Customer Gallery), 1 Feb 2014
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Update: WEF an update to Photomatix 15 Feb (for me) the software now works perfectly with RAW files from this camera.

UPDATE: If you use Photomatix Pro for HDR using RAW files then read my note I have added at the bottom of this review (02/02/14)
UPDATE: Solving WiFi connection issue when no Access Point found by camera. See bottom of review (02/02/14)

I own a G3 and bought the GX7 as an upgrade and to be able to use my existing lens collection. I have just uploaded an image to the customer gallery which shows an extreme zoom in of photos taken within 5 minutes of each other using exactly the same settings on each camera and lens. I zoomed in using photoshop until the pixels appeared on screen then did a screen capture at this maximum magnification. The settings are in the text of the image.

The bottom line is that in real world conditions the G3 is just as good as the GX7 and in fact is much easier to use. The GX7 is a lovely camera, well built and with a fantastic range of features that the G3 doesn't have. Controlling the camera using my Xperia Z Pad was amazing. The camera itself has a high quality feel in the hand, I find all of the switches and dials easy to locate and use and they are very intuitive.

However, extra features aside, I have found the much cheaper G3 (249 inc lens) gives results which are just as good as the GX7. In fact I find the metering on the G3 to be better than the GX7 which constantly seems to underexpose by about a stop. (I have checked all settings BTW) I took both cameras out and about around town and took similar photos with both cameras, printed them out and showed them to a couple of friends who are not into photography. Both preferred the photos shot with the G3. I printed straight out of camera without any editing.

If I were on a budget then I would recommend the G3 over the GX7, leaving plenty over to buy a couple of extra lenses. However if I did not have the G3 to compare it to I would have been very happy with the GX7.

The bottom line to me seems to be that what you are paying for is the better build quality and additional features such as WiFi and not for any improvement in image quality. As a side note whenever I have compared my Panasonics to my Sony 18 and 20mp cameras, the Panasonic 16mp always beat them by a light year in image quality. So while I am critical that there is no real difference between the 3 and 7, Panasonic are already starting from a high point anyway.

NOTE ON PHOTOMATIX PRO HDR SOFTWARE

This software has a major issue processing RAW files from this camera. This is not an issue with RAW files produced by the Panasonic G3. The software seems unable to detect the correct white balance and whatever setting you use within the software it generates a strong colour cast. This is not an issue in Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 5 or OnOne Photosuite 8. I have downloaded a trial of Google's HDR Efex Pro 2 and it interprets the GX7 RAW files without any issue, so I guess there is just something in the new Panasonic RAW files that Photomatix cannot cope with. I have contacted technical support to see if they can offer a solution. Update (04/02/14) The developers have confirmed that there is an issue between Photomatix and the GX7 RAW format which they are fixing now and should be released as an update in the very near future.

NOTE ON WiFi not being found by the GX7

If you try to setup WiFi to connect to your home network and the camera cannot detect an access point then you may have a similar issue to me. I use a BT Homehub and I had the WiFi set to automatic channel selection, this allows the router to decide which is the best 'local' channel. I was unable to find an access point with the GX7. When I looked at the network I found the Homehub had allocated channel 13. By changing to a manual setting and allocating channel 10 the GX7 found the network immediately. I would guess anything above 10 is invisible to the GX7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic has nailed it, 23 Oct 2013
I've been waiting a couple of years for a more "serious" compact system camera (I almost bought GX1 when it came out but decided to wait a bit longer) and Panasonic has finally nailed it. There's no point in repeating its feature set but I have to say the overall ergonomy and manual controls are great, it's a joy to shoot with. IBIS and viewfinder are certainly welcome too. I'm also glad Panasonic stuck to its traditional understated styling and didn't make the camera overly retro. Wasn't it Aristotle who said the whole is greater than the sum of its parts? The GX7 exactly fits this description.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST CAMERA I'VE EVER OWNED, 20 Mar 2014
I shot my first video with my new GX7 and Lumix F/1.4 Leica lens and the quality was amazing. It's way better than my Canon 7D - even the photography was superior, as the colours just popped out with razor sharp definition. I'm loving the tillable touch screen which is vibrant, sharp and extremely responsive. The button placements are very well thought out - well done Panasonic.

At first, it was scary not being familiar with the video setting, but I went full manual with face tracking autofocus. Although video mode is easy to use, there are rules, as with any camera. For PAL users, remember to keep your shutter speed at 50 - double the framerate of whatever you're shooting.

Do not be fooled by the size, this camera takes professional photos with the right lens combination. It's so portable, but a real powerhouse - definitely beats lobbing around a big DSLR all day. With this lightweight setup I can get more pictures done with ease without the backache. I was a bit nervous when deciding to sell my Canon 7D and replace it with this, however after extensive usage, the GX7 is more than capable of the job at hand, beating the 7D in colours, low light performance and sharpness.

I would recommend getting a second battery and don't worry about getting an official one - good third party batteries do the job well at a fraction of the price.

When it comes to looks, this camera screams retro all over and is simply one of the best lookers out there to date. With it's retro 70s look the Chrome/Black model is a real beauty.

I'm using this camera as the photographic/video companion to my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, as they both use the same MFT lenses. The autofocus is quicker to the draw than Clint Eastwood in his prime with a 6-shooter pistol at hand. I can't tell you enough how convenient it is in video mode. There's also focus peaking in manual mode for the true professionals. Like all pros, make sure you get an external recorder for audio, like the the Zoom H2n, cos the sound in the camera is ok, but not the best.

I'll carry this all around the world and back again. Whether day or night, winter or summer, I've been waiting a long time for a snapper like this to come along. It really has brought the fun back into photography, especially with the instagram style filters and WiFi mode.

I've got so many things I can say about the GX7, but one line describes it best: "I'm in love with this camera."

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular!, 26 Oct 2013
I had a Nex-7 camera with Zeiss 85mm F1.4 lens, which I liked very much. However, when the Lumix GX7 was released last month (Sep-2013), I replaced the Nex-7. I now carry the Lumix GX7 with a Leica Summarit 50mm F2.5 lens & Voigtlander 35mm F2.5 Lens, which combination I like much better than the Nex-7. Although the Nex-7 is 24 megapixels while the GX7 is 16, I prefer the photos of the GX7. Overall, I prefer the set of features & their arrangement in the GX7. The choices in native lenses is richer for a micro 4/3 camera body, such as the GX7, than the Nex line. I have had the GX7 for about a month and I am very, very happy with it. I did like my Nex-7 but I do not miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compakt and high performance, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7CEB-K G Series Compact System Camera - Black (20mm Lens, 16MP) (Electronics)
In a very little package , lots of features,and with a supreme quality feeling. The integrated viewfinder and the touch screen work very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lumix GX7, 14 Feb 2014
allan (Hartlepool,) - See all my reviews
This is my 4th Lumix Camera and I must say it surpasses all my expectations. Handling and picture quality is fantastic. Noise does not start to appear until ISO 3200 and even then it is more than acceptable and can be removed completely in Camera Raw. The one thing that has surprised me is the tilting viewfinder which was one of the attractions for me to buy it. Once I started using the camera I could not see a need to tilt it, perhaps later, but at the moment it is redundant. The viewfinder itself is crystal clear and I have not noticed any "rainbow effect" which has been mentioned in some reviews. My only criticism is I wish the screen was fully articulate as on the G5 etc as the screen could be prone to knocking and damage. In a nutshell a FANTASTIC CAMERA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Camera, 29 Oct 2013
JJ MULLINS "JJM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I replaced my Panasonic GF1 with this camera (the first new Panasonic or Olly that 'had it all') and it's a stunner.

It is an improvement on the original GF1 in every way and now has every feature that I was after - mainly the EVF and tilting screen, the in-body IS system, the combined touch AND button driven menu system, the larger grip, and still with a flash, hot shoe and everything else that made the GF1 great.

Minus one star for having to buy it with the 14-42 lens. Get rid and buy the 25mm, 17mm or 20mm and use your feet to zoom!

-UPDATE- as there are now body only and 20mm lens versions (fab lens) I shall up my rating.

Having now used the camera for a few months I have added the 25mm f1.4 lens and the 14-140 lens, and I have the 14mm prime too.

I'm finding that I use the viewfinder and screen about equally, and the touch controls all of the time to quickly switch from colour to B/W, HDR on and off, etc, etc, while shooting. I also use the WiFi capability to look at the photos on an iPad, and then they're added to my photo stream and back to Aperture with little or no thought. Nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive rubbish?, 3 Oct 2013
Gillian Fantazi (haslemere, surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Not at all - This is the ultimate camera. There is absolutely nothing about this camera to dislike. The heading was specially
made to make you look! Just go and buy one - it's perfect. You get an awful lot of quality for your money - that's why I bought one - AMAZING BUY!
Just to say - There are two DVDs included. One is a software package, the other is an instruction about advanced techniques
that are not in the printed manual, whIch in itself is comprehensive.
All technical details are so diverse that it would take up too many words here. The whole point about this camera is that
It is so good I doubt if it could ever be improved upon.

ARRAY(0xa8f34fb4)