5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, thoroughly enjoyable, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: We Are Anonymous (Kindle Edition)
Before I begin this review I think it is important to note that cyber-crime and the internet underworld is something that I have always found fascinating and I have a reasonable amount of technical knowledge. This book may not be for everyone.

I loved reading this e-book, I (excuse the cliche) couldn't put it down. It is well-written, well-paced, well-researched and well-explained where necessary providing you know your ISP from your URL. This is not a book for technophobes but then I do not think it would be one to hold their interest in the first place. The "characters" all of whom are real-life people and their multiple online personas and identities are well (I am lead to believe) accurately rendered. I found it remarkable how close I had in fact come to some of the activities taking place within the book and could perhaps have found myself in a similar situation had I taken a different path.

The tension that builds throughout the book is palpable despite the fact that deep in your heart (if you aren't already familiar with the story) you know where things will inevitably lead.

I would whole-heartedly recommend this book to anyone with an interest of the "recent" history of the internet especially some of its seedier climes.

I only wish there could be a sequel (but that would mean wishing calamity on the lives of numerous individuals and I am not quite that sadistic)

5.0 out of 5 stars Anonymous History, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: We Are Anonymous (Kindle Edition)
Interesting look at the early days of Anonymous, and how it evolved from a message board called 4Chan, to the hive mind that we are familiar with today. Also gives a lot of background history on the founders of Lulzsec, one of the spin-offs from the movement and an analysis of the characters involved. Must read for those wishing to gain an understanding of the history and development of Anonymous and Lulzsec/Antisec.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant history of a modern revolution, but read it NOW - it may have a shelf life, 3 Jan 2014
Petrolhead (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: We Are Anonymous (Paperback)
This is a highly readable account of a modern revolution, a story about people, technology and the evolution of a rebellion. I've studied revolutions, including the French, Russian, Chinese and Cuban revoultions, and this fits right into the mould of how such a movement is born and grows.

Trotsky would recognise the pattern, as we move from the first stirrings of anarchy, through the development of a common purpose and shared philosophy, to the formation of a secret cell of aggressive agents, leading to a crescendo of success that proves too momentous and ultimately leads to fatal splits in the core team.

Here the guiding philosophy is nothing more than "lulz" - slang for a great laugh at someone else's expense. In the hands of one hacker, a malicious prank may ensue. But when a raucous website gains a large and devoted following, the anonymous mob of hackers and slackers becomes "the hivemind" - a ravenous and merciless horde that can rip its prey to pieces over the web.

The story is fascinating, horrifying and funny, deeply delving into chatrooms and the personalities who find themselves at the forefront of the revolution. The reality of hactivism turns out to have been much more human and less coordinated than it appeared at the time, with many, perhaps all, of the characters really failing to grasp the seriousness of their actions until it ws too late.

I raced through this book and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the bits of the internet that are much talked about but little explained, the phenomena that are blared out by news headlines but rarely shown in detail.

My only caveat is that this book, so accessible now to anyone who is even half up to speed with the internet, may be inaccessible in 10 years as the jargon moves on, and current concepts become ancient history. So read it now and expand your world. Do it for the lulz.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight into an unknown world, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: We Are Anonymous (Kindle Edition)
Interesting insight into a world I had no knowledge existed. Reads like a thriller. Well worth the time ! !

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: We Are Anonymous (Paperback)
I am really in to technology and computers and this book was one of the nest books i have ready, i really felt at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 2 Aug 2014
great and interesting read

5.0 out of 5 stars You cannot arrest an idea ..., 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: We Are Anonymous (Kindle Edition)
A brilliant read focused on a topic I have always found fascinating.

Parmy use of dialogue and verbatim / [sic] helps bring the subjects and topics involved to life, even for the most technophobic audience.

Definitely recommend.