4.0 out of 5 stars Three brilliant Christmas stories for teens!
Published 19 months ago by Laura Hartley

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts off brilliantly, goes to okay, then just goes awful
Overall, I thought this book was actually really Christmassy and an easy read. I’m going to talk about this book in each of it’s retrospective stories, because I had such different opinions on each of them, despite them all being linked in some way. So:

The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson

Maureen Johnson’s story was by far my...
Published 3 months ago by Leona

4.0 out of 5 stars Three brilliant Christmas stories for teens!, 14 Sept. 2013
Laura Hartley (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Let It Snow is three short stories by three bestselling authors that are pieced seamlessly together to create one fantastic Christmas tale. The first part of the story is written by Maureen Johnson, an author that I have never read before, but her writing is very similar to John Green's. Her story is a brilliant opener for this book and it had me gripped right away. Her writing is very funny and I felt like a teenage girl was actually talking to me as I read her story. I found it very easy to relate to Jubilee who is the sort of girl that I would love to be friends with in real life. Although she can be quite shy and doesn't realise that her boyfriend is treating her like cr*p, she is also quite a strong character and you see her develop, with the help of Stuart, throughout this short story. This story definitely could've been a great success as a standalone story and I wish that there had been enough space for Maureen Johnson to write even more about Jubilee and Stuart because I would love to know how their story ends.

The second section by John Green is without a doubt the best part of the novel. His story is the classic tale of two really old friends who've known each other since they were babies but have developed feelings for each other as they've grown older. John Green has this magical ability to put into words exactly how a teenager feels. Despite the fact that the story of friends becoming lovers has been retold time and time again, his story was so much more special because the emotions felt real. This story compliments is written from the perspective of a teenage boy, as opposed to a girl, so it compliments the first story nicely as you get teenage romance from two different perspectives. This story is also incredibly funny as well as heartbreaking - just like all of John Green's other novels - and I found myself laughing out loud but also holding back tears at some points.

The third section, written by Lauren Myracle, is what turned this from a five star book to a four star book. This section is written from the point of view of a Addie, an incredibly self-absorbed and whiny girl who really just annoyed me. I guess this story was supposed to be about how Addie realises how selfish she has been and changes right before Christmas but she really was far too annoying for me to sympathise with her at all. This section is where all the different strands of the story come together and you see how all the characters that you've already met in the previous two sections know each other. There were lots of names flying around this section and I had to keep flicking back through the previous two stories to figure out who was who and what their relationship to everybody else was. This made me awfully confused and meant that I couldn't really enjoy the story as I spent too much time thinking and trying to piece everything together. The ending of the story was a little disappointing and you don't get a real wrap for any of the three stories, you just get to the point where they all meet each other and piece together what's happened to all of them over the past few days. This is a great shame and I was left wanting more. Much more.

All in all, this is a fantastic teen read that is perfect for Christmas. Fans of John Green will lap up this novel, particularly the middle section; however, prepare to be a little disappointed by the last section. I almost wish that this novel had actually been split into three separate books so that each author could've spent more time developing the relationships between each pair. If you're looking for three short and sweet Christmas romances then this is definitely the book for you. If you're someone who gets really, really annoyed when a story isn't quite finished, then perhaps this isn't the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Three brilliant Christmas stories for teens!, 14 Sept. 2013
Laura Hartley (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

4.0 out of 5 stars A perfect festive read, 3 Jan. 2011
I'm not generally a fan of short stories, but I am a big fan of the holiday season. I'm also a fan of Maureen Johnson, John Green and Lauren Myracle, the three authors behind Let It Snow, a collection of festive-themed romances. And while the three stories in Let It Snow are shorter than full-length novels, they're not short short. They're also linked by the fact that the majority of the action takes place in the same small town in the middle of a snowstorm, and by recurring characters, in-jokes and references, making Let It Snow a little more satisfying as a whole than other short story collections I've read.

First up is Maureen Johnson's story, The Jubilee Express, which comes to us courtesy of narrator Jubilee Dougal. Forced to miss her boyfriend's Christmas smorgasboard and catch a train to visit her grandparents for the holidays when her parents are arrested at a shopping riot, Jubilee finds herself stranded in snowy Gracetown in a carriage full of squealy cheerleaders. As you'd imagine from that last sentence, this is a quirky and sometimes over-the-top tale that borders on insanity. It's also hilarious, heartwarming, and über-Christmassy. I loved it, and could quite happily have read an entire novel narrated by wry and witty Jubilee.

The second story is John Green's A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle, which sees narrator Tobin and his friends braving the blizzard in a race against time to reach Gracetown's Waffle House, where the squealy cheerleaders from the previous story are taking shelter for the night. It's a little bit zany and a lot funny, with a super romantic twist that more than redeems Tobin from his early cheerleader-chasing shallowness. If you like your humour with a side-order of slapstick, you'll probably like this one.

Lauren Myracle's story, The Patron Saint of Pigs, focuses on newly pink-haired Addie, a barista at Starbucks who is having some major relationship woes. She's recently broken up with her boyfriend of one year, who just so happens to have made walk on appearances in the previous two stories in the collection, and she's about to learn a major life lesson - with a little help from an old lady and a teacup piglet, that is. While this story feels a little more tame than the others, it's an adorable and heartwarming read which also references my all-time favourite Christmas movie, It's A Wonderful Life.

Let It Snow is the book equivalent of a gingerbread latte with whipped cream and sprinkles. It's delicious and Christmassy and probably best consumed when it's cold outside. Each story is pleasingly unique, and yet as a whole the collection stays true to the spirit of this holiday. If you're looking for something to get you in the Christmas spirit, this could well be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hysterical situations few will ever encounter., 21 May 2014
This review is from: Let It Snow (Paperback)
I bought this for my twelve-year old daughter and read it before I gave it to her. I had only read the author John Green before this book and found that the three authors have similar styles so the short stories blend well into one another. Like all of John Green's books, the writing in all three stories is quick, intelligent and achingly knowing. There are points when you wonder whether teenagers not only think this way today, but also verbalize it so well. I don't remember having so much self-knowledge when I was a teenager.

4.0 out of 5 stars Festive Fun!, 30 Dec. 2011
Rosie McCaffrey (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Let it Snow is a great reading companion for the holiday season, especially if you're looking to feel more immersed in the Christmas spirit. It also makes a really lovely gift with the added bonus that if you're not too sure about one or two of the authors/stories, there are three to go on!

Personally, I was drawn to this compilation because John Green was involved. I'd never heard of either Maureen Johnson or Lauren Myracle, but I think the short stories/novellas they contributed to Let it Snow are tantalizing introductions to their work, and I'll be sure to check out their other books when I have the time.

This book does not overstay its welcome, with each story coming in at around 100 pages and the steady pace maintained by concise chapters which take nice little bites out of each narrative. It would be a nice prelude to Christmas Day to really get you into the spirit, but I ended up devouring it on Boxing Day and the festivity was not lost.

Okay, now that we've got all the boring technical stuff out of the way, I'll tell you a bit about the individual stories:

The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson - A really dazzling first story and hard to live up to. I didn't expect to love this as much as I did. There is no fussing around, this story just goes bang! and starts. Sympathetic characterization, witty dialogue, totally immersive settings, a quirky and ultimately touching storyline! I can't put my finger on why, but I think this was my favourite out of the three stories :).

A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle by John Green - If you're a fan of this amazing author's work I won't have to tell you that the characters are creative, realistic, sympathetic, laugh-out-loud funny and totally jump off the page! The chemistry is magical. The stakes are continually raised and the tension is strangely electric as the characters race to be first at the Waffle House. I loved the fact that it was like an adventure story in that the destination was determined early on but the majority of the story was concerned with actually journeying there. This one did actually bring a fuzzy-warm tear to my eye :).

The Patron Saint of Pigs by Lauren Myracle - I'm going to be honest, for the first few pages of this story I felt bitter. But that's because I didn't get it. First of all, the protagonist is not immediately sympathetic, but that is the whole point of the story, and so what this ends up being is actually the most classic of the Christmas tales in Let it Snow, harking back to holiday favourites such as Scrooge. Second of all, I didn't really know where the plot was going (or even where it WAS) until quite late on. The first part of the story is mostly concerned with the protagonist moping around about her ex-boyfriend and it's not until the eponymous pig is mentioned that the plot actually raises its head and shakes the snow off, but then you realise it's been there all along. It's just been...sleeping. Or rather, overshadowed by the protagonist's egocentricity, which is a pivotal theme in the story. SO, to sum up, if you bear with this last story all will become clear and you'll be left feeling very warm and fuzzy indeed :). Also: I now totally want a teacup piglet called Gabriel. I dare you not to melt over the mention of this little guy.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Let it Snow for what it is: pure festive confectionery! I loved how all of the stories interconnected and came back together at the end; it made it all the more Christmassy, and reminded me a little of Love Actually. I think John Green's contribution with its male viewpoint tempers what *could* have been an overly fluffy piece of candyfloss whose sweetness actually diminishes the impact rather than heightens it. But his piece is flanked on both sides by two truly wonderful Christmas stories! One to be pulled off the shelf and read every Christmas, for sure :). Tug on your Christmas sweats, hunker down in front of the fire with some hot chocolate and rocky road, and enjoy :)!

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for girls., 7 Jan. 2012
Okay, so I'm a fifteen year old male. It took me a few days of pondering whether to get this book or not because, as we can see, it's a book about romance. And some of the reviews written mention how it'd be a good book for girls, so I was quite doubting.
But this book was amazing. It wasn't just three holiday romances; it's three romances that are extremely interconnected with every character having purpose and story. The end of the story brings them all together tighter than ever, and it's something so delightful and christmassy, and it's great.
This can be read at any type of year really , but it's a real treat just before christmas. Alas, I bought it a few days after, but hey. It's a great , moving book. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 18 Nov. 2008
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm a sucker for romance any time of the year, but something about the holiday season makes me want to curl up in a nice blanket, drink hot chocolate, and read love stories. LET IT SNOW is the perfect holiday read.

Maureen Johnson starts things off with THE JUBILEE EXPRESS, in which Jubliee (no, not a stripper, but named for a piece in her mother's collection of the Flobie Santa Village) finds herself stranded on a train in Gracetown in a huge snowstorm. A trip to the Waffle House introduces her to Stuart and friendship, or maybe something more, starts to form.

In A CHEERTASTIC CHRISTMAS MIRACLE, author John Green hilariously describes the mission of three friends to get to the Waffle House where a group of cheerleaders are stranded and wanting to play Twister.

And Lauren Myracle's THE PATRON SAINT OF PIGS shows that lost love can be found again with the help of Starbucks, angels, and even a pig.

Each story stands well on its own, but it was nice to have a common thread throughout. I loved how the authors found ways to connect all three stories. Characters you meet in the beginning show up later on, and places like Starbucks and the Waffle House are important to all three tales. The only thing I didn't like was that they were all short stories - I could have kept reading about each of the characters!

LET IT SNOW is a great, warm, fuzzy read for the holidays, so grab some hot chocolate and curl up because you won't want to stop reading until you're finished and happily sighing.

Reviewed by: Sarah Bean the Green Bean Teen Queen

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts off brilliantly, goes to okay, then just goes awful, 21 Dec. 2014

The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson

Maureen Johnson’s story was by far my favourite of the whole book. I gave it 4.5 stars, to be honest, I enjoyed it that much. It was incredibly fluffy without being puke-worthy or cringey. The coupling were perfectly paired for each other.

The characters were also a great aspect of this story - they felt real, had good and interesting back stories and were just a lot of fun to read. Jubilee’s parents got arrested before Christmas, so she has to travel down to her grandparents house. But, halfway, the train breaks down because of a freak snow storm that is throughout the whole book in all of the stories.

I thought the plot was a great starting point, and the other stories really held off Johnson’s base. I liked the added in bits of story with Jubilee’s parents being arrested, rather than it just being a simple love story. All of the characters were interesting, and I wasn’t bored at all in this story.

Basically, Let It Snow started off brilliantly with The Jubilee Express. But it went downhill from there…

A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle by John Green

I was actually really disappointed in John story, which sucks because the last thing of his I’ve read wasn’t that great either! John’s story took place at the beginning of Maureen’s, which did make me feel like I was jumping round a little. It made me wonder whether this novel would have been better if each chapter was a section of each persons story, because the timelines kept getting al mixed up.

Basically, these three best friends go out in a snowstorm because a bunch of cheerleaders are stuck in a Waffle House restaurant that their friend works at. So, it makes complete sense to risk their lives going out in said snowstorm to hit on cheerleaders, or in the female characters case, eat free food (this, I was totally on board with).

I didn’t really overly enjoy John story, and for me it verges on a 2.5 or 3 star. I though the characters were too similar to ones he’s already created before, and they didn’t feel original and neither did the relationships between the characters. I wasn’t overly convinced with the pairing either, it felt a little bit out of blue for these two characters to just suddenly feel this way about each other.

Also, the pacing of the story was a big of a drag. It was all a bit slow, and we’re waiting for this big build up of a something to happen, but I was just let down.

The Patron of Saint Pigs by Lauren Myracle

God, I just really didn’t like this one. It’s a solid 2 star story from me. The Patron of Saint Pigs follows a girl named Addie who just cheated on her boyfriend and wants a second chance. What annoyed me the most about this story is how self-centred Addie was. The boyfriend she cheats on is seen in the previous two stories, and I thought that The Patron of Saint Pigs was going to be from his POV, but it wasn’t. Strike one on the disappointment scale, cause it just felt random for it to be her instead of him, a character we haven’t even heard about or be on the side on after seeing how hurt the boyfriend was.

In some ways, I feel bad for complaining about Addie being self-centred, because that’s how she’s supposed to be presented. Through the story we’re supposed to see the big development of her and how this change of person makes her and her boyfriend get back together (because of course they do, no spoilers intended, but it was bloody obvious).

Strike two on the disappointment scale was how boring this story was. I’m not kidding but for about 50 odd pages all we see and hear about is Addie’s shift at Starbucks. It bore me out my eyes. I kept putting the book down and not wanting to read it because I was bored of hearing about what people ordered, how Addie made it and the forced conversation between customer and employee.

Strike three was 100% the worst strike. Myracle killed the characters from the other story. At the end of The Patron of Saint Pigs, all the characters merge into this one and Myracle kills the personalities that Johnson and Green created. She killed my favourites from the first story, and that just was not good with me. Why did no one stop her?!

So yes, they were my feelings about Let It Snow. I’m definitely going to go away and read more Maureen Johnson after her fabulous addition to this book, but I’ve already read all the John Green books there are and I’m not going to pick Lauren Myracle up again if I can ever help it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really sweet book, but very Christmassy., 28 Nov. 2014
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let It Snow (Kindle Edition)
A friend of mine bought this for me last Christmas as she knew it was on my wishlist. I decided to save it to read until this festive period to help get me in the mood. Let It Snow is a really sweet book with three pretty cute stories, but I felt a little let down.

Let It Snow is a book of three interconnecting novellas. The first story, The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson, is the story of Jubilee, who, after her parents are taken to prison for being involved in a riot over buying rare Christmas village pieces, gets stuck on a train on her way to her Grandparents'. Jubilee is supposed to be spending Christmas Eve with her boyfriend, and is not happy at the change of plans, and is even more at a loss when a huge snow storm stops her train. Rather than spend all night on a freezing train, she decides to go to the nearby Waffle House, where she is followed from the by 14 cheerleaders and a boy called Jeb. At the Waffle House, she meets Stuart, who might just change her mood.

Next comes A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle from John Green. Tobin is spending Christmas Eve with his friends JP and the Duke watching Bond movies while his parents are stuck in another state, their flight delayed by a storm. Keun, their other friend, calls them up from work at the Waffle House, announcing that here are 14 hot cheerleaders in the restaurant, and he needs them to get to the restaurant with Twister ASAP, because his other two colleagues' friends do, because they're only allowing one more group of people in. It's then a race to get to the Waffle House through the snow and various other obstacles before anyone else does. Through their journey, Tobin realises there might be more to his friendship with the Duke than he thought.

Finally, there's The Patron Saint of Pigs. Addie has having a crap Christmas as she cheated on her boyfriend, Jeb, a week ago, and she's regretting her mistake hugely. Her friends think her problem is down to her being too self-absorbed, so she tries to prove that she's not by promising to pick up her friend Tegan's new Teacup Pig during a break at work the next day from the pet shop. Only things don't go according to plan, and while she's panicking about letting her friend down, she has a revelation.

I don't want to say too much more about the stories, because they are short and I don't want to spoil them. You can see they all interconnect from my summaries of the stories, but they interconnect a lot more. All the characters that live in the town know/know of each other, so there's some reference to almost everyone in each story. Each story, as I said, is really sweet! It's one big story, really, with everything coming together at the end, but with very different writing styles that somehow just work together. They don't see disjointed, despite feeling different. I've never read anything by Maureen Johnson or Lauren Myracle before, so it was great to get to try them and enjoy their stories.

However, what I felt let down by was the Christmas aspect. Johnson's story was set over Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Green's over Christmas Eve into Christmas Morning, and Myracle's over Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Despite that, the stories had very little to do with Christmas. There was the snow, but you can have snow when it's not Christmas. Snow doesn't make things Christmassy. The stories could have been set any other time. Something other than snow could have stopped that train and caused traffic problems that led to these stories - like rain! So Jubilee's parents went to jail for something related to Christmas. But that's really the only Christmassy thing in these stories. There is no focus on a big meal, on opening presents, on spending time with family, on playing games, the things that are a major part of Christmas. There are aspects of this in The Jubilee Express, but for minor characters, and you don't get to see it happen, really. When I'm reading a Christmas book, I'm expecting Christmas stories, and these weren't really. There was nothing in these stories to get me in the mood for Christmas. So I felt quite let down by that.

Either way, still a really good book with three great stories! Just don't expect it to be too Christmassy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little Christmas Miracle and John Green, 7 Feb. 2012
I originally bought this just because it contained a story by my favourite author, John Green. I have not before read a book that contains 3 stories by 3 different authors where the stories are all linked by taking place in the same town and having recurring characters. The stories are described as holiday romances, but they are really funny too.

THE JUBILEE EXPRESS by Maureen Johnson has to have been my favourite of the three, I have never read anything by her before and I have to say she is a very funny writer. I was giggling away for most of it (embarassingly in public places!) and found her writing very engaging. I really loved Jubilee who is home alone on christmas eve getting ready for a big party at her boyfriend Noah's house. Her parents are away buying a new addition to the Flobie Village ornament collection (but they are so much more than just ornaments) and get arrested after being involved in a Flobie fueled riot. Jubilee is packed off on a train to her Grandparents house when the train hits a huge snowbank and gets stuck in the storm. Trapped on a train filled with cheerleaders, Jubilee decides to brave the storm to make it to a waffle house across the street, where she meets Stuart. I really liked the story telling and the relationships between the characters and was a little sad when it ended.

A CHEERTASTIC CHRISTMAS MIRACLE by John Green is really very funny and features what John Green is famous for, a road trip. However this is not an epic cross country road trip. They have to travel but a few miles, in the worst snow storm ever! We meet Tobin who is at home with his friends JP and the Duke watching James Bond films when he recieves a call from Keun, another friend, who is working at the Waffle house, yes the same one from the first story. He has a challenge for the three friends, bring a game of Twister through the storm to the waffle house, as Keun believes that will help him seduce a cheerleader (yes the same cheerleaders followed Jubilee off the train>) Duke's not too impressed (being a girl and having no desire to spend a night in a waffle house full of cheerleaders) but she goes along with it on the promise of hash browns. No points for guessing that the trip to the waffle house is full of disasters, near death experiences and hilarious snow antics! I leave it to you to read and discover if they make it with the twister in time!

THE PATRON SAINT OF PIGS by Lauren Myracle ties up the book nicely. This was probably my least favourite of the 3 stories however I very much enjoyed the starbucks theme (most of the story takes place in one and starbucks has been mentioned in the other tales) as a Starbucks Barista myself I can confirm that it is all very accurate, especially the part where Tobin and the Duke come in and Tobin completely screws up ordering his drink! This story features Addie (who has been mentioned before) and she is suffering from a broken heart, her boyfirend Jeb (yep Jeb from the train) and she have split up :( and now Addie's friends have pretty much said she's self centered and everything is always about her. o try to prove them wrong she promises to pick up her friends new micro pig from the petshop, but when that goes wrong she has a mad scramble to rescue the pig before anyone finds out. The end of this story got a little strange I think because it felt rushed to tie everything up with not enough time to do it? Anyway, a few characters from the other 2 stories turn up and lots of lose ends are sorted and it all is tied up in a nice christmassy bow!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, three very good authors in one book and I will be looking to read other books by Maureen Johnson too.

Let It Snow