4.0 out of 5 stars Caravan's fine comeback album, 12 Mar 2002
piraco@get2net.dk (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle of Hastings (Audio CD)
This album from 1995 was Caravan's first new studio-album since "Back to Front" from '82, and a great one it is. The line-up is: The Hastings brothers, Coughlan, Richardson, Dave Sinclair and new bass-player Jim Leverton, who is also the vocalist on one track. It's very much Pye Hastings album and a "song album" with no long organ-based instrumentals. Best songs are, in my opinion, the ballad "Somewhere in your Heart" and the faster tracks "This time" and "I know why you're laughing". Others may prefer the hard-hitting "Liar" or "Travelling Ways" with Jim Leverton singing. All in all the album shows Pye Hastings as a very talented songwriter and a great vocalist. I must admit I find the record a bit over-produced, but apart from that "Battle of Hastings" is nearly as good as the classic Caravan albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battle Won, 20 Sep 2011
This review is from: Battle of Hastings (Audio CD)
I love the classic early Caravan albums but curiosity got the better of me and I decided to try some of the later albums. I'm really glad I did. This is a great album, the songs have an obvious link back to earlier Caravan material but Pye Hastings has created a really interesting and modern sounding batch of songs. The playing and singing is (as ever with Caravan) excellent but there are new textures with instruments like mandolin coming through in the mix. Repeated plays is dangerous because the songs stick firmly in the brain and you'll be humming choruses everwhere you go. Onward to the other releases!