5.0 out of 5 stars The Beatles - All These Years - Extended Edition: Part One: Volume One
As all Beatles fans will know, we have been waiting for the recently released first volume of Mark Lewisohn's biographical trilogy of the Beatles for ten years. Having recently released Tune In, he has now published an extended two volume set of the first book. I have read the kindle edition of this book, but I will try to explain what the extended version offers that is...
Published 17 months ago by S Riaz

3.0 out of 5 stars A marketing error ?
A good job this has come out just before Christmas.....I've read the cheaper edition & had a good nosey through this one. It's difficult to know how to rate this....5 stars for the book, 1 for the price.

I'm just wondering if a lot of people are going to be in the same boat as I am. Let's face it, if you are/were interested in The Beatles you'd have already...
Published 17 months ago by imogen

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading, 15 Dec. 2013
A habit from my college days dictates I read the notes in the back of a book before reading the actual text. This excercise alone yielded more depth and more revelations than I'd found in the stack of Beatles books I've previously read. I'm sure when the works of the Beatles join Shakespeare as standard university grist, this will be the required text book.

That Mr. Lewisohn seamlessly weaves the histories of the four Beatles and their associates into one digestable story is amazing, but beyond that he also provides the 20th century as a backdrop -- The rise of popular music, the advent of recorded sound, World War II and many other key factors are skillfully minded as threads in this story.

An amazing piece of work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but doesn't cover the whole of Volume 1, 30 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Beatles - All These Years - Extended Special Edition: Volume One: Tune In (Kindle Edition)
An excellent read with huge attention to detail.
I had already read the standard version in paper form.
I give it five stars for the sheer quality of content.
I was disappointed to find the Kindle version I downloaded only gets to the end of 1960, not 1962.
A second part can be purchased (more expensively than part one).
Amazon could have been clearer about the fact that the Kindle version needs purchasing in two separate volumes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, indispensable book; terrible shipping and handling (overseas), 7 May 2014
I live in the USA and bought the extended edition from amazon UK because it is (maddeningly) not offered for sale on my side of the pond. I'm only one or two chapters in and the book itself is already deeply satisfying, and easily rates five stars on content.

I took off a star because of the woefully inadequate shipping materials used to deliver it. The package had clearly been dropped from substantial height at least once, with accordion-style compression on one entire end, and numerous other dings and rips. That's to be expected, but the inside protection consisted only of one long strip of crumpled brown packing paper loosely wrapped around the books, which was shockingly scant for an overseas shipment. Thus my set arrived with substantial damage to the white cardboard case--one edge had split, another showed a large ugly dent, and several of the corners were crushed. Thankfully, the case acted as sufficient protection to the books themselves, which appeared pristine, although as I have continued reading, the pages are beginning to show some warping which may indicate having been stored in an overly-humid environment.

This is a very expensive set of books, roughly $155 USD including shipping and other fees, and I had anticipated receiving an item which I could display and admire on my bookshelf for many years to come. In its damaged state, the case is not fit for display, so this is a disappointment which detracts from my overall enjoyment of this purchase, not to mention resale value, although I have no expectation I will ever part with it. I considered attempting a return claim but decided against it as the extra time and charges would add further insult to injury.

If any other Yanks are reading reviews here, consider this a warning to avoid the budget shipping option, but I'm not certain there would have been any difference with the other delivery choices.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY Beatles biography you'll ever need to read!*, 8 Dec. 2013
Beatles fan...author...historian- Call Mark Lewisohn what you will, but don't EVER call him 'lazy'. This painstakingly
researched Beatles biography is truly the 'last word' on the lives of the Fab Four-and all the other colorful characters
that constituted their life stories.
I was a little reluctant to pay the extra price for the two-volume Extended Special Edition of 'Tune In' (fearing that
I would be wading through page after page of trivial information), but now I know I made the right choice. Even if
you're not a rabid Beatles fan (like me), you'll find the most fascinating information-about the history of Liverpool,
the history of Rock 'N Roll, and so much more- in this beautifully bound two-volume set.
Thanks to Mark Lewisohn for all his hard work, and thanks to Amazon U.K. for making this purchase possible for
those of us here in the States who would otherwise find it unobtainable. 'Tune In' should be required reading for
all true Beatles fans! *(Not to mention the forthcoming volumes 2 and 3.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tune In -- Extended Special Edition, 20 Jan. 2014
Beatles' fans in the U.S. are as interested as those in the UK. Since the volumes are so large, the Kindle version would work best, but Amazon UK won't sell the Kindle edition to buyers in the U.S. and Amazon U.S. doesn't list it. It seems very arbitrary.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible, 19 Dec. 2013
Mr. Kenneth Reid (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Anything I say about this book would not be enough praise. The research, the information, the back round, the people, the places, the time, the music.....and then.....The Beatles!!!

This is only the Beginning......

This should be used by any Beatles fan, Music professors, examiner for schools.....professors of English or any language, it is up there with the Collins Book of Literary English.

A must have for anyone interested in the rise of popular music both in the UK, Ireland, Europe, the States & Especially those countries that were not allowed listen to, never mind own or possess a Beatles Record in the 1960's.

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I was able to find this extended version, 14 Sept. 2014
Dan Province (Arvada, CO United States) - See all my reviews
So glad I was able to find this extended version. Since it will be several years before the second volume,
I will have plenty of time to savor it. The regular edition is fantastic too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lewisohn's "Tune In (Extended Edition)" is Superb!, 16 Dec. 2013
Amazingly detailed, beautifully written. A new yardstick by which all future biographies will be measured. The only knock I can give it is that I wish it had more pictures. Can't wait for volume two. Thank you Mr. Lewisohn!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Beatles book ever published, 28 Mar. 2014
Mark Lewisohn leaves every other Beatles expert in his wake. The quality of research alone means that 99% of other books on the subject may as well go out out print. Roll on volumes two and three!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping him quiet for hours!, 18 Dec. 2013
Bought this as a present for my husband and haven't seem him without his nose stuck in it since so u am guessing it is a huge success. Can't wait for the next volumes!