Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 April 2010
This is one of my all-time favourite albums.

There is not a dud track anywhere. The band are driven by two powerful voices - singer songwriter Martin Cockerham who delivers a socialist/pacifist message with more wit and clarity than most left-wing speakers I've ever heard - and the beautifully haunting angelic Barbara Gaskin. The CD cover describes her voice as "mellifluous" - a word I always understood to be negative , if not pejorative ( sickly sweet ! ). Her voice is gorgeous.

Julian Cusack contributes masterfully in a classical style. Whereas Swarbs , you knew , was playing a fiddle - Julian is never anything but a violinist. But both he and Swarbs are equally incomparable , in the other sense. I think Julian wrote only one one recorded song with the band but his "Time Will Time" is the best song Spirogyra ever recorded. It includes a line which is crazy as a lyric : "They'll all be scientists, humanists, egalitarian, vegetarian, internationalists" - I think he's Orwellian influenced but I'm not sure. But the song is brilliant.

This is avant-garde acid folk at it's very best from circa 1970. The final track is an outrageously arranged traditional country squire/peasant maid themed piece of wild abandon. Hunting horns are used wonderfully and pointedly at one point - you'll love this bit.

I wish I didn't know this album so I could listen to it for the first time.
on 5 March 2010
Growing up in Canterbury in the late 60's / early 70's I can recall seeing Spirogyra on a few occasions and whilst liking what I heard I was never tempted to buy one of thier albums.
Now 40 years on I've been buying some of the albums that I didn't buy back then and have just added this one to my collection. Listening to it for the first time last night, I was totally blown away and would agree with a previous reviewer that they were probably way ahead of thier time.
Put simply, I would recommend this to anyone with a taste for far out folk/rock at it's best.
on 27 November 2007
Well I grew up on the Levellers and New Model Army. I think this is how they would have sounded 20 years before their time. In my opinion this is a great violin based folk-rock classic. Worth the purchase price in my opinion just to hear something different and great. If you like early Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull etc than this is also an album for you. It isnt a way out stoner record just a damn good set of songs.
on 2 December 2014
Just a knockout, so five stars for the musicians / singers for such a fine album. In fct I'm feeling generous today, so I'll give Repertoire five, too. And the delivery service also warrants full marks.
For those who have not yet owned a Spirogyra album, this one is highly recommendable, as is Bells, boots and shambles.
Their music is not really folk, but it does contain a folk element. Those who like Curved Air (I'm thinking of the electric violin here) and fans of Renaissance (Jane Relf, and later, Annie Haslam; Spirogyra boasts the fine voice of Barbara Gaskin) will surely groove to Spirogyra's highly creative themes and melodies. A fine effort from an overlooked early seventies band (St. Radigund's is 1971) fortunately undergoing rediscovery recently.
on 2 June 2016
Classic album, play it regular in vinyl form so bought this cd as a back up !. This band was criminally underated but glad their 3 albums have been re-released so people can now "discover" them !
on 31 May 2014
I sold my original vinyl copy but had to replace it. I had forgotten how good it was it still sounds fresh and hasn't dated. I am enjoying it again now.
on 2 January 2014
My partner is reminiscing the music he grew up with and this one in cd form was his favorite 'must have' for his collection, he's very happy now, thanks
on 14 June 2009
To keep things brief, this title is one of the absolute peaks of the whole U.K. folk-rock era ( circa 1967-1979 ). The violin playing is truly awesome-thank you Julian!
on 8 May 2013
THIS ALBUM IS A GD EXAMPLE OF THIS GENRE.TOTALLY BRITISH IN TONE AND CONTENT .HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AND ESSENTIAL FOR UR 70S COLLECTION
on 26 August 2014