5.0 out of 5 stars Almost like a new album - excellent
Brilliant from first to last track, not just a remix a complete refresh of an album I already liked. This is a quality item, each song has parts in it that you just didn't hear on the original. If you're a Rush fan buy it, you'll not be disappointed
Published 9 months ago by S. Cannings

3.0 out of 5 stars Revealed!
Having dusted off the tapes, now we hear Alex Lifeson at his textural best. Every single guitar note considered and balanced as it should have been. Experimental, progressive and expressive

Having said that, there are still problems...

After a six year hiatus, many of which I'm sure he didn't even think about drumming, Neil Peart is relegated to a...
Published 10 months ago by JJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost like a new album - excellent, 3 Nov 2013
S. Cannings - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
All the noise has been removed ,
now crisp clean with each instrument easily identified, now a typically well produced Rush album

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 26 Jan 2014
Mr. Philp Robinson "wellsy" (preston, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
I suppose it travelled a long way..I'd more or less given up hope of seeing this after nearly a month from order to delivery...I know we're supposed to allow up to 28 days etc etc but I've never actually waited more than a week or so in my years of Amazonning. So when this little beauty arrived it was like Christmas had come again, in its newly redesigned mini-gatefold style card sleeve looking good and tempting me to rip off the cellophane and stick it in the CD player immediately and without ceremony. What a revelation!....as promised the production is clear and assertive and the murkiness of the original VT album is gone. One Little Victory batters your ears from Neil's thrilling opening blast, as it always has, but there is something fresher and more direct, more visceral and muscular than we have heard previously. I won't go through every song, but one over arching comment is that I actually now feel like I know every song on this reborn masterpiece. Previously,despite having listened to it quite a lot, I would have struggled to identify many of the songs on here if pressed due to a slightly muggy and samey quality, the remixed version has woken up the album and given each track it's powerful identity back. To all intents and purposes, a new Rush album, which is always cause for celebration. Essential!

5.0 out of 5 stars A vast improvement over the original 2002 production!, 24 Dec 2013
Mark Ian Gunnill (The flat lands of E. Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
I have had the original 2002 recording for many years, but haven't played it much due to the quality of the mix. I found it very tiring to listen to, and favoured their previous album "Test for Echo", which is a shame because there are some great songs on the cd. So when I heared they'd re-mixed the album for 2013 I simply had to buy it, and it is constantly in one of my cd players. If you're a fan of early Rush records before that synth keyboard sound you will not be disappointed with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vapor Trails Remixed and revived, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
When I heard that this album was coming out I was delighted. The original mix had left me feeling a little disappointed - the sound too wooly in some ways. The material was strong, it was just let down by a bad mix. This album has corrected the original mix and revealed a truly great Rush album. Clarity runs through the whole album - the instruments and vocals so much brighter. Several tracks stand out - One Little Victory, Vapor Trails and Ghost Rider being the best. The original Vapor Trails was a fine album, this remix is significantly better.

4.0 out of 5 stars A well balanced remix,, 7 Oct 2013
Peter Meathrel (South Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
The 4 stars is for the album musically, the remix is worth 4.5. This remix breathes fresh life into what should have been the band's glorious return after the 6 years from Test for Echo. The original mix was awful but at the time I guess fans were just pleased/relieved that there was still a Rush to listen to.
This mix put things right. Other reviewers have commented that it lacks punch or some of the original emphasis has been lost. Having had a listen I can see their point, but, I think this is a well balanced remix and while the odd compromise might have been made, the pluses far outweigh any negatives. It is light years ahead of the original mix and doesn't make your ears bleed. Good job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid album now sounding great!, 10 Oct 2013
N. A. Davies (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
I must have listened to the original release of Vapor Trails a dozen times, maybe 20 but no more than that. It wasnt that i didnt like the songs, it was just I couldn't hear them!

Buried behind a wall of distorted noise was a good album trying to get out. But the aural assault was so wearing the CD was often abandoned half way through, It didn't get better with time, I just learned to resent the sound so much it was relegated to the back of the pile and forgotten

Fast forward to this release and it's like discovering an old friend you really didnt like back then, but age and time have softened how you feel and yeah, you kind of like him / her now.

Stripped back to 'sensible' (ie: Not so loud it makes it sound like your hi fi is bust) levels, we now have a solid collection of songs that sound like a better-than-average Rush album.

I cant do the comparisons as so many have done on here about new solo's, more clarity on the bass, a change of vocal here and there, because I just dont know the original that well.

What I can hear though is several really great Rush Songs, the opening pair, One Little Victory, and Ceiling Unlimted, the quite fantastic Ghost Rider, and the best of the bunch, Secret Touch.

For me the abum hinges on the aggressive guitar and intricate riffs backed up with some fearsome drumming and great vocal melodies from ol' Ged. All things you had no hope of hearing on the original release.

From a retrospective point of view VP sits nicely along side more recent output, perhaps stronger than most releases since say, Counterparts. I've never been a great fan of the Loudness War issues and found I can control the volume thank you very much, and don't need the producers / masterers setting the volume for me. When it goes wrong like this, it goes VERY wrong. Clockwork Angels seems the same, way too much distortion, as did Metallica's Death Magnetic.

If this release hastens the end of the Loudness Wars and we have a return to the clean sound of the late 70's early 80's the more the better. One of the few times where time, technology and progress make not a good album.

Thankyou Rush for correcting the mistakes and giving me a 'new' album to listen to...

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant remastering of one of Rush's great albums, 27 Dec 2013
J. Pickles "Jon" (Uk) - See all my reviews
When Vapour Trails was originally released in 2002 and it had real audio qualities. The music was somewhat distorted. Neil Peart was going through hell and the album seemed like the band just rushed to get it out. The band always said they needed to remaster and reissue the album but felt it might not be achievable as some of the original recordings were distorted on tape. Roll on 11 years to 2013 and it seems that modern technology has managed to recover the masters and sonically improve what was laid down 11 years previously.

Lifeson says: "Over time, both Lee and Lifeson have felt that Vapor Trails didn’t sound right. “It really bothered us that it didn’t sound like it did when we were making it,” Lifeson says. “Now we’ve remixed it, it’s the way it should always have been. But Neil still won’t listen to the record.”. Apparently the songs are too full of emotion for Neil and he cannot listen to it but if he did I think he would love it. They also play some of the tracks in their live set and so it can't be too hard for them.

The main downside of this release for me is not the 180gm vinyl, nor the change of album art, but the fact its a single sleeve and could have been a gatefold with much more imagery on the inside.

Apart from the sleeve this album is faultless and makes vapour Trails, for me, possibly Rush's greatest album with some of their best tracks on it including: One Little Victory, Earthshine and Sweet Miracle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mellowed Version, 19 Dec 2013
C. M. Mckenna (Not specified) - See all my reviews
While the original CD was quite harsh, the vinyl was much better (as vinyl usually is).
This issue is in my mind much less harsh and sound like a lot of the frequencies have had the edges removed (this applies also to the CD version).
Still all in all it's a fantastic album and one I don't mind having 4 copies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remix a mastersrtoke, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
Well worth getting the remix- loved the original but way too full-on in the production.
Re-mix much cleaner, clearer , crisper and less wearing on the ears; fantastic.
Well done guys!

Vapor Trails (Remixed)
Vapor Trails (Remixed) by Rush (Audio CD - 2013)