5.0 out of 5 stars Almost like a new album - excellent
Brilliant from first to last track, not just a remix a complete refresh of an album I already liked. This is a quality item, each song has parts in it that you just didn't hear on the original. If you're a Rush fan buy it, you'll not be disappointed
Published 13 months ago by S. Cannings

3.0 out of 5 stars Prefer the original way better. This mix sound too clean for me
Prefer the original way better.
This mix sound too clean for me, like miss/cutt of the full guitar harmonies
I came to like in rush rock albums.
Published 2 months ago by Yitshak

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost like a new album - excellent, 3 Nov 2013
S. Cannings - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
All the noise has been removed ,
now crisp clean with each instrument easily identified, now a typically well produced Rush album

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 26 Jan 2014
Mr. Philp Robinson "wellsy" (preston, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
I suppose it travelled a long way..I'd more or less given up hope of seeing this after nearly a month from order to delivery...I know we're supposed to allow up to 28 days etc etc but I've never actually waited more than a week or so in my years of Amazonning. So when this little beauty arrived it was like Christmas had come again, in its newly redesigned mini-gatefold style card sleeve looking good and tempting me to rip off the cellophane and stick it in the CD player immediately and without ceremony. What a revelation!....as promised the production is clear and assertive and the murkiness of the original VT album is gone. One Little Victory batters your ears from Neil's thrilling opening blast, as it always has, but there is something fresher and more direct, more visceral and muscular than we have heard previously. I won't go through every song, but one over arching comment is that I actually now feel like I know every song on this reborn masterpiece. Previously,despite having listened to it quite a lot, I would have struggled to identify many of the songs on here if pressed due to a slightly muggy and samey quality, the remixed version has woken up the album and given each track it's powerful identity back. To all intents and purposes, a new Rush album, which is always cause for celebration. Essential!

5.0 out of 5 stars A vast improvement over the original 2002 production!, 24 Dec 2013
Mark Ian Gunnill (The flat lands of E. Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
I have had the original 2002 recording for many years, but haven't played it much due to the quality of the mix. I found it very tiring to listen to, and favoured their previous album "Test for Echo", which is a shame because there are some great songs on the cd. So when I heared they'd re-mixed the album for 2013 I simply had to buy it, and it is constantly in one of my cd players. If you're a fan of early Rush records before that synth keyboard sound you will not be disappointed with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vapor Trails Remixed and revived, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
When I heard that this album was coming out I was delighted. The original mix had left me feeling a little disappointed - the sound too wooly in some ways. The material was strong, it was just let down by a bad mix. This album has corrected the original mix and revealed a truly great Rush album. Clarity runs through the whole album - the instruments and vocals so much brighter. Several tracks stand out - One Little Victory, Vapor Trails and Ghost Rider being the best. The original Vapor Trails was a fine album, this remix is significantly better.

4.0 out of 5 stars vapor trials ... and tribulations, 9 Oct 2013
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
An eagerly awaited release,for sure,more than a decade after it originally hit the racks,we get a chance to re-evaluate.

First thing you notice,is the cover,bright,clearer and sharper,the black treacle-like color removed to allow more of the layer below to be seen,much like the remix itself,the thick dense sound has been replaced with a much more listenable(to my ears) sound.

So now i can listen all the way thru,without getting ear fatigue,its rewarding,a pleasure rather than a chore.

I previously held that as well as the production,the dark nature of much of the material,(understandable given where the band,Neil in particular, were coming from),also held the disc back ,i for one felt it difficult to relate to and enjoy. I still feel there is unquestionably a dark feel to this disc,however time,a fresh perspective and the new remix,have made this an easier listen,it still wont be a regular on the playlist but it wont be routinely ignored either.

I dont have any particular favourite track ,more an understanding and indeed a liking for it all,so the remix has been a success in my book

4.0 out of 5 stars A well balanced remix,, 7 Oct 2013
Peter Meathrel (South Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
The 4 stars is for the album musically, the remix is worth 4.5. This remix breathes fresh life into what should have been the band's glorious return after the 6 years from Test for Echo. The original mix was awful but at the time I guess fans were just pleased/relieved that there was still a Rush to listen to.
This mix put things right. Other reviewers have commented that it lacks punch or some of the original emphasis has been lost. Having had a listen I can see their point, but, I think this is a well balanced remix and while the odd compromise might have been made, the pluses far outweigh any negatives. It is light years ahead of the original mix and doesn't make your ears bleed. Good job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid album now sounding great!, 10 Oct 2013
N. A. Davies (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
I must have listened to the original release of Vapor Trails a dozen times, maybe 20 but no more than that. It wasnt that i didnt like the songs, it was just I couldn't hear them!

Buried behind a wall of distorted noise was a good album trying to get out. But the aural assault was so wearing the CD was often abandoned half way through, It didn't get better with time, I just learned to resent the sound so much it was relegated to the back of the pile and forgotten

Fast forward to this release and it's like discovering an old friend you really didnt like back then, but age and time have softened how you feel and yeah, you kind of like him / her now.

Stripped back to 'sensible' (ie: Not so loud it makes it sound like your hi fi is bust) levels, we now have a solid collection of songs that sound like a better-than-average Rush album.

I cant do the comparisons as so many have done on here about new solo's, more clarity on the bass, a change of vocal here and there, because I just dont know the original that well.

What I can hear though is several really great Rush Songs, the opening pair, One Little Victory, and Ceiling Unlimted, the quite fantastic Ghost Rider, and the best of the bunch, Secret Touch.

For me the abum hinges on the aggressive guitar and intricate riffs backed up with some fearsome drumming and great vocal melodies from ol' Ged. All things you had no hope of hearing on the original release.

From a retrospective point of view VP sits nicely along side more recent output, perhaps stronger than most releases since say, Counterparts. I've never been a great fan of the Loudness War issues and found I can control the volume thank you very much, and don't need the producers / masterers setting the volume for me. When it goes wrong like this, it goes VERY wrong. Clockwork Angels seems the same, way too much distortion, as did Metallica's Death Magnetic.

If this release hastens the end of the Loudness Wars and we have a return to the clean sound of the late 70's early 80's the more the better. One of the few times where time, technology and progress make not a good album.

Thankyou Rush for correcting the mistakes and giving me a 'new' album to listen to...

4.0 out of 5 stars Better in many ways., 9 Oct 2014
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
I had to buy this for a couple of liked tracks that suffer from their original mastering as described by other reviewers. I've listened to this version a few times now and agree with those reviewers who say that it is a mixed bag. Yes, you can now turn the volume up on Secret Touch for example without wincing and you can hear stuff that was previously buried in sound mush, but it also feels like some amateur like me has been let loose on a mixing desk and their attempts to reveal certain elements of the music have backfired in other ways. This is not really surprising since compromises no doubt have to be made with a remaster, but I agree that whilst horrible in many ways, the original recording does, in relation to this remaster, have a gritty and sometimes menacing texture that the new one does not. Perhaps it is difficult to evaluate a remaster without constant reference to the original, but in places I found that this album annoyed me in new ways, which I wasn't expecting. It is still definitely worth buying if you like this album and it is interesting to have the two versions, but Vapor Trails in its original form didn't sound as clinical as most modern Rush albums and I guess that was part of its weird charm for me. That said, you will probably play the remastered one over the original every time for it is an improvement overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant remastering of one of Rush's great albums, 27 Dec 2013
J. Pickles "Jon" (Uk) - See all my reviews
When Vapour Trails was originally released in 2002 and it had real audio qualities. The music was somewhat distorted. Neil Peart was going through hell and the album seemed like the band just rushed to get it out. The band always said they needed to remaster and reissue the album but felt it might not be achievable as some of the original recordings were distorted on tape. Roll on 11 years to 2013 and it seems that modern technology has managed to recover the masters and sonically improve what was laid down 11 years previously.

Lifeson says: "Over time, both Lee and Lifeson have felt that Vapor Trails didn’t sound right. “It really bothered us that it didn’t sound like it did when we were making it,” Lifeson says. “Now we’ve remixed it, it’s the way it should always have been. But Neil still won’t listen to the record.”. Apparently the songs are too full of emotion for Neil and he cannot listen to it but if he did I think he would love it. They also play some of the tracks in their live set and so it can't be too hard for them.

The main downside of this release for me is not the 180gm vinyl, nor the change of album art, but the fact its a single sleeve and could have been a gatefold with much more imagery on the inside.

Apart from the sleeve this album is faultless and makes vapour Trails, for me, possibly Rush's greatest album with some of their best tracks on it including: One Little Victory, Earthshine and Sweet Miracle.

Vapor Trails (Remixed)
Vapor Trails (Remixed) by Rush (Audio CD - 2013)