Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.49

on 30 September 2013
This is an author that is going from strength to strength with this wonderful take on the Caesar/Augustus story, using a man (Titus Pullus) as a hero risen from the ranks, and battling Rome’s enemies as well as having to battle the snobbery of the patrician classes, with a few good friends he has risen to the top in his profession and the battles are real you feel you are actually in the front line with them all.
on 25 April 2015
Well written, creative but undoubtedly allied to the truth of life at that time. History goes in cycles and the opinions and experiences well express those of the now in relation to those who are our forebears.
on 31 August 2013
It's just impossible to put this book down. The hero just gets out of one pickle or another and the next piece of the the plot is just over the next page. I've stuck with all the 5 (I think) books so far and whilst they are long, I just got addicted to the adventure of this guys life. In my opinion a great read and will be sad when the story finishes. For a new reader it's worth going right back to the first book in the series and seeing how the characters fit in but don't be surprised when a character you become attached to suddenly gets bumped off.
on 29 December 2014
Please see my review of Marching With Caesar - Civil War. My comments apply to all of the books read so far (vols 1 to 7)
on 15 August 2013
OK, listen up troops.

This - sadly - is the penultimate book in an absolutely superb series.

By the power invested in me by the Divine Julius, I hereby award ex-Marine Peake a Triumph. I also decree all the books are mandatory reading for every aspiring military man - West Point, Sandhurst - and even Annapolis, Dartmouth, Cranwell and Colorado Springs. And last - but not least - Parris Island/Quantico etc. They are also good stuff for CEOs and the like. Politicians should also study them to learn how vital loyalty, trust and comradeship are in the world.

(Semi) tongue-in-cheek aside, the "character studies" continue to be as good as ever. The action is gripping. The research is tops. The prose flows.

My last decree is that all of you buy the entire series, go on a hol to say Hawaii or a Mediterranean beach (or stay at home even!) and get reading - with a few gin & tonics nearby for added enjoyment.

I loved every book in the series and Mr. Peake's final command from (Legate) me is to get cracking with lots more yarns in the same vein.
on 17 September 2013
I found the book as the ones before. , great . I had to get into it as soon as it arrived, and a must read for anyone who is in anyway into roman fiction look forward to the next one well done
on 1 September 2013
The other 5 star reviews say it all. I could not put this book down. From the first epic volume through to this one I have enjoyed every page and followed the development of Titus Pullis with interest. OK .. it's an old story in as much as a young man joins the Forces and works his way up to become top dog ( actually Titus reminds me a lot of the Hornblower ) but the telling of the tale is first class. It's all the more surpising coming from an American ( sorry RWP !) and I've had to revise my opinion that the USA forces do not comprise of Sgt Bilko's -now that's giving my age away ! If anyone out there is going to read this series of books make sure you read them in sequence and put the effort into wading through the first volume and getting to know how things worked back then. It seems to me that as Titus has become a better soldier so RWP has become a better story teller. A great series of books ...
on 21 December 2014
Very good read, just the job when you are on a long distance flight and find it hard to sleep.
on 31 December 2013
I am a lover of historical fiction and have read a great deal. I can truly say this is THE best series of Roman history based novels
I have read. Mr Peake is a writer who has truly put us in the mind-set of a Roman warrior. I suspect this is because he is a former soldier himself and understands the psychology of the warrior. Titus Pulus is not a likeable man. Selfish, ambitious, hard, arrogant and brutal. But he was a man of his time and cannot be judged for that. He takes us through some of the greatest events in Roman history in faultless style. Its both believable and compelling. Sad the series had to end.
on 25 August 2013
R.W. Peake does it yet again, the already high standards in story telling, intrigue and fast paced action of his earlier "Marching With Caesar" works are eclipsed in "Rise of Augustus"
Titus Pullus the newly appointed Camp Prefect and there for 2nd in command of the army faces battles both on and off the battlefield.
R.W. Peake has written the storyline and characters in such a way that you are swept along in all that befalls them.
A great read and well deserving of its 5 STARS
I am already getting impatient for the next instalment