A shaky launch largely due to the (for many of us) unusable Origin online platform. Unfortunately, I am one of the many thousands for which Origin simply fails to successfully provide basic ecommerce functionality.

Published 11 months ago by Hired Ranger

2.0 out of 5 stars It's not Battlefield
To paraphrase Dice/EA - I've been playing Battlefield since 1942.
Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars It's not Battlefield, 4 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Battlefield 4 [PC Online Code] (Software Download)
To paraphrase Dice/EA - I've been playing Battlefield since 1942.
I played the expansions, Mods ( Desert combat X )Vietnam, Heroes, BF2, 2142, BF3, BC1 & BC2, Battlefield play for free. Whilst I don't think of myself as a game reviewer, I am a veteran of the series. I don't usually write reviews at all, but I felt strongly enough to add my views in the hope that it helps.

I eagerly pre-ordered BF4 as soon as it was announced. Simple as that - I love the series. You can call me a fanboy and you would be correct. I've played Call of Duty up until it got too stupid/carried away, so I have a good basis for comparison.

Simply put, this latest Battlefield has lost it's way, and may as well be labelled 'Battlefield: Call of Duty'.
The maps are confused and messy, it focuses too much on 'run and gun' mentality rather than the pedigree of previous games of tactical play. Other maps are too open and boring.
A lot of the features from BF3 are gone. Detailed stats for example at the end of the round being one. My mates and I would have a 'Top Trumps' style game of who got the longest headshot after each round - can't do that anymore. Other features have been removed, and the notifications of awards/upgrades/promotions in the game is very cheap and 'consoley'.

In short, it feels like it's been dumbed down.

Another current massive problem is that it really needs patching badly. The Alpha and Beta versions which I played felt more stable than the current 'Gold' ( release ) version. Random disconnects crashes are very common, and Lag is on a lot of servers, especially 64 player. Hit detection is currently way-off.

I would wait at least 2 weeks for Dice to start fixing it. I don't blame them, I think EA has rushed them. It's been the same story with BF2 and BF3 - they had the same issues at the start.

That aside, I can't see a patch curing the awful maps and gameplay.

If you haven't got BF3, get that - it's a far better battlefield experience and is far better.

I'm very, very disappointed with BF4.

5.0 out of 5 stars The time since launch has brought some great expansions which have seen this become a genre defining ..., 31 July 2014
This review is from: Battlefield 4 [PC Online Code] (Software Download)

So it was a huge relief that Amazon had the codes for sale. Click, Click and done, after hours on the phone / chat with some EA support clown in India that has probably never had the misfortune to have to try and use Origin and seems sympathetic but ultimately pointless.

The time since launch has brought some great expansions which have seen this become a genre defining game for PC owners. A good tool for seeing what your PC can do and a definitive game now most of the bugs are gone. The DLC's provide so many additional maps and options that you will be playing this for many years to come.

If Amazon had the no quibble refund policy which EA now offer )making them a completely different consumer oriented company to deal with for gamers, in comparison to the likes of steam) and the ability to quickly download. Steam's days would probably be numbered.

Amazon, please bring your customer first ethos to online gaming and sign me up!

Great game, usual easy to do business with Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing graphics, average gameplay, good Amazon service., 29 Nov. 2013
G. WOODRUFF - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battlefield 4 [PC Online Code] (Software Download)
This was the first digital game I ordered from Amazon and I was impressed at how quickly I received the code and was able to download the game. I also saved a lot of money compared with buying directly from Origin.

As for the game, at the time of writing I have a GTX780 SLI system and the graphics are mind blowing on maximum settings at 1440p. I know the COD/BF campaigns are well known for set pieces, almost to the point of them being boring, but this game takes it to another level with so many jaw dropping moments.

My PC can also connect to my TV/home cinema and for the better sound experience I tried it on there with a Joypad and was disappointed that the tool tips on screen didn't change to reflect that I was using a pad. This was annoying as it would be telling me to press a button on the keyboard to do something and I'd have to start pressing all the buttons on the pad to work out which one it was!

The gameplay is standard first person shooter stuff. Either you like or you don't.

I am not a fan of the multiplayer system compared to say the original BF1942. I find all this RPG style grinding and unlocking system tedious and as a result it has completely deterred me from playing online. I also don't like the webpage based server browser and game launching system. It just seems clunky compared to having it all in game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, No problems! But buggy., 30 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Battlefield 4 [PC Online Code] (Software Download)
Gonna do this review properly! :)
Installation:
The installation of this game was really simple, bought it and Amazon give me a nifty little code which I used in my Origin. Origin itself may annoy you, but I don't it, honestly! ;) The game was around 26GB so it took me 7 hours to install (Yay). Opened up Battlelog (The web based thing) and hopped into a game.

Singleplayer (Spoiler Free):
FOV CHANGER PLEASE! The FOV slider doesn't work affect singleplayer which is crazy! (Enjoy your sucky FOV guys!). The story is interesting to say the least, sometimes it can be hard to follow and I wish that some of the characters were developed a little more.

Multiplayer:
This is what we bought this game for, its award winning multiplayer! On the day of release, and for a few days after, it was bugged to hell. (Still is in some cases, as of November) The game crashed, froze, no sound bugs. You name it, I had it. To be fair though, even through all these bugs, I still had a blast in the multiplayer. The main problem I have it Rush, in Battlefield 3, I loved Rush, but In Battlefield 4, I just can't get into it. Luckily though Conquest is amazing, best fun you can have on Battlefield 4! The guns are well balanced and so are most of the vehicles (Except that bloody boat). The maps are well designed, they seem quite small for a Battlefield, but maybe that's just because they are so built up and with so much detail. My least favorite map has to be Operation Locker (Operation Metro V2), but if you liked Metro, then you will more than likely enjoy this too!

Levelution:
The Levelution of this game is very pretty to say the least, but to be honest, destroys some of the maps, for example Seige of Shanghai is a great map with a skyscraper that is very strategic and a useful point to have, when the skyscraper falls, its gone, leaving a boring pile of rubble. My next example is also where Levelution ruins the map, Flood Zone, great map, right up until the water comes flowing. The map is then flooded and removes a level of the battle, adding boats which are a lot less interesting than Quads. Finally, a map where the Levelution is good! Zavod 311, when you take down that chimney, it adds a whole host of cover from the vehicles and is quite pretty too. The minor Levelution is very nice, on all levels, they add that little bit of beautiful destruction we have come to love from Battlefield, some are more useful than others and it would take far too much time to go over them all, but they are a welcome edition to Battlefield.

Gameplay/Controls:
The feel of this game is amazing, very smooth if you are getting that 60fps. Controls are mostly the same as Battlefield 3, so if you have played it, you'll be right at home! :)

Graphics:
The graphics of this game are great. Ultra is especially nice (It should be anyway). The removal of the Blue Tint from Battlefield 3 made such a wonderful difference! Personally I didn't notice it in Battlefield 3, but when I went back to play a little, it really annoyed me. So I'm glad it's gone. There are a few graphics errors in the game, like the random blurring (Which people say is to do with an EMP, but i'm not sure).

Overall and Score:
Overall this game is going to be my personal Game of the Year as it really is fantastic, I'm not going to compare with Call of Duty Ghosts as I believe they are in a different genre (also the fact that Ghosts is awful), Battlefield 4 being an Action FPS and Call of Duty being an Arcade FPS. Im going to rate this game a 9/10. I believe that EA/Dice will patch them nasty bugs and it will truely be fantastic, so well done EA/Dice, you've done me proud.

4.0 out of 5 stars The game is good, battlelog isn't, 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Battlefield 4 [PC Online Code] (Software Download)
This would be a 5 star review if it wasn't for one thing. Battlelog. Now if you don't know, when you want to play the game you think you'd just hit 'play' but instead you have to go to your web browser and then click play campaign or select a server (after you install the plugin ofcourse) before you can play and if you want to change servers, you have to exit the game and go back to battlelog just to join another game.

The game itself is excellent, fun to play and is graphically amazing. The multiplayer is great but be prepared to learn the game becasue there are a lot of people at level 100+ around. The campaign is a run of the mill shooter story really, worth playing if you've got the time but you'll probably play it once or twice ever.

2.0 out of 5 stars Largest disappointment in years, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Battlefield 4 [PC Online Code] (Software Download)
I have been a very longtime battlefield fan and I can honestly say this is not a battlefield game. It's is littered with bugs, glitches and crashes. The net code is horribly inadequate so even if you find a good server your hits won't register and even the single player isn't immune.
Mid level it will crash and lose your data. It will leave you without your unlocks in multiplayer, the amount of players that have already hit rank 100 is unbelievable in less than 3 days. This just goes to show that the punkbuster has failed again as on bf3.
This review was also written after the updates they rolled out which have not fixed 60% of the bugs.
I would recommend battlefield Badcompany 2 if your looking for a decent multiplayer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good looking but some bad maps, 9 April 2015
This review is from: Battlefield 4 [PC Online Code] (Software Download)
Firstly I would like to state that battlefield is a very enjoyable game with some great maps. The graphics are also stunning when maxed out which can be achieved with a mid range pc pretty comfortably. With my nvidia gtx 670 and i5-3570k processor I can normally run maxed out stably at 60fps with some occasional drops to around 50fps. The downsides to this game is some maps are just not fun at all. Some maps that are good on one game mode are practically unplayable on other game mode and some are just bad in general. I would recommend this game as I do myself enjoy it however do not expect it to be perfect and do expect to get stressed out playing some maps on some game modes

4.0 out of 5 stars After the recently released Fall Patch thanks to DICE LA ..., 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Battlefield 4 [PC Online Code] (Software Download)
After the recently released Fall Patch thanks to DICE LA studio ( not to confuse with DICE in Stockholm ) Battlefield 4 is actually becoming a game it should be a year ago at the launch. A strong 8/10.

2.0 out of 5 stars Below average, 29 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Battlefield 4 [PC Online Code] (Software Download)
Having spent a good month or two hearing my friend singing it's praises, I bit the bullet and purchased this; begrudgingly. I found that whilst it plays identically to Battlefield 3, it is massively lacking especially given that all of the new features don't serve any real utility or act as a meaningful addition to the flow of gameplay, it felt more like a cynical gimmick to win over a few more philistine fans from the Call of Duty crowd.

To graphically get the most out of the game you will need quite a beast of a computer, but it still looks very good running on "High" graphics setting.

4.0 out of 5 stars game is 5 stars!, 21 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Battlefield 4 [PC Online Code] (Software Download)
I chose 4 because the product only included a product code for bf4. it did not include a china rising code as advertised. If i do eventually get a code, then i will rerate the product 5 stars because battlefield 4 is the best game ever!

Battlefield 4 [PC Online Code]