5.0 out of 5 stars A compassionate and practical book
Published 14 months ago by Dr K Hindley

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely in theory but doesn't have a solution for every baby
Published on 4 Sep 2008 by Muffin's mummy

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely in theory but doesn't have a solution for every baby, 4 Sep 2008
As a parent I've always been firmly in the Sears camp rather than the Gina camp, and this book seems to be considered as a sacred text by practically everyone I know with similar parenting styles. My 9 month old has been a poor sleeper from the start and so naturally I got hold of a copy. I do love the style of the book and it is indeed initially very reassuring. Unfortunately, it does seem very much geared to fixing specific sleep problems that relate to babies that are unable to fall asleep by themselves and hence need to be nursed or rocked again every time they wake. Unfortunately this doesn't apply to my baby, who wakes frequently despite being perfectly able to put himself to sleep quickly and easily initially. It also doesn't cover 'tension releasing' crying vs 'tension increasing' crying. After much agony I have discovered that my baby actually NEEDS to have a short cry in order to fall asleep. Now I understand that he actually needs to be put down awake to cry, he will be asleep in a few minutes, whereas previously with all of my 'loving' nursing, rocking and singing he would still be sobbing in exhaustion and hour later. If I'm honest I think I might have found this out sooner if I hadn't been brainwashed by all the attachment parenting books that letting your child cry practically was akin to abuse.

So, if you have a baby with the 'right' kind of problem, this might be the book for you. But as always, you need to remember that no one has written a book about YOUR baby yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A compassionate and practical book, 12 Jun 2013
Recently an article in the telegraph declared its ok to let your babies cry it out because it teaches them to self-soothe. I am a child psychologist and I despair when I see articles like that. As Elizabeth Pantley points out your own children will instinctively run to comfort a crying baby. Most parents hearts tell them to attend to a crying baby not leave it alone in the dark to figure out how to fall asleep! However most parents, myself include have felt in the desperation of sleep deprivation that they will do ANYTHING to get some sleep and if that means leaving them to cry then you might just try it! I implore you not to because there is another way thankfully and you don't have to put yourself and your baby through that terrible experience! This book is both compassionate and practical. It's even easy enough for the most sleep deprived among us to be able to follow! My baby started sleeping through a month after reading this and I only had to do a couple of modifications. The best thing was I didn't have to do anything I wasn't comfortable with and I felt finally someone was giving permission for me to feel that I could follow my instincts with my child! My own mother kept telling me I was too soft but this book restored my faith in my own intuition as a parent. I am very grateful for the restoration of sanity that this book brought!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Lifeline!, 12 Feb 2010
I purchased this book for my wife, and It is the best purchase I have ever made! I shall hand over to my wife to write the review!

I have co-slept with my toddler from birth, and he has always been breastfed, so the 2 have always gone hand in hand and our arrangement worked well for us. That is until I found myself pregnant with baby number 4, and I realised that my body wouldnt be able to cope with the wriggling toddler next to me and lack of sleep!
I was unsure of how to get my little one into his own bed and weaned off the breast.
I have never been a fan of 'cry it out' sleep solutions, so when a friend recommended this book to me which had been written by a mother of 4 who had breastfed and co-slept with all of her children, It seemed perfect for me.
I read my eagerly awaited copy, and i could have jumped for joy - the book was so relevant to my lifestyle! (I found it doubly good that it gave advice also for bottlefeeding mums and those not co-sleeping - it is the methods in general that work!).
It has always disturbed me that in so called 'parenting' books, I was classed as doing the wrong thing, and creating 'bad sleep associations' by allowing my baby the comfort of nursing to sleep - this book made me feel proud of my parenting choice!
Having read the book, I put a plan into place. Within a week my little boy was going to sleep in his toddler bed, was weaned from the breast, and sleeping through the night (well, he occasionally comes in for a 5am cuddle - but thats fine by me!!).
I would like to stress this isnt an overnight solution - teaching your baby/child a new sleep routine doesnt come overnight if you want them to continue feeling confident and secure. I allowed a month for it to work - and it took 1 week! I feel like I owe so much to Elizabeth Pantley - we have a happy baby, happy ,mummy and happy daddy, and not one shed of a tear by any of us along the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars top choice for sleep change, 24 Nov 2003
audrey hyvonen (massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
I have recommended this book to a whole handful of parents in this last month alone. There's a waiting list for it at our local library. This book is an answer to many parent's greatest challenges- it details OPTIONS to explore in your child's sleep plan and offers hope to all- no matter what the parenting style. Most important to me- it prioritizes the child's emotional well-being and health and promises NO-CRY combinations which really worked for our family.
I was waking many times each night and placing a lot of blame on my 2 year old for her waking cycles. She slept just next to me in her own little bed and would rouse often during the night. After charting her waking habits for 10 non-judging days (as recommended in this book) I was able to recognize small changes we needed to make to assist her, and large changes we needed to make to assist me! I realized that the amount of sleep she was getting was working just fine, but that my sleep was being disturbed by my next pregnancy, and that mild insomnia was clouding my judgement. The book has two sections- one for young infants and then one for older babies and toddlers. I was pleased to find that the ideas were applicable to such a large range. NORMAL sleep cycles and their variablity are explained and simple, effective methods of charting to detect patterns are provided. A menu of solutions is proposed for all sleep issues from which parents can choose what works best for them.
A fabulous book- a must for every parent's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, the answer to my prayers., 6 Mar 2006
I have a 6 year old son, that had a lot of sleep problems for his first 2 years. I have a 5 month old son, that had hardly slept more than 1 hour at a time since birth. In other ways, they're perfect children that I love totally : ) I have had the advice of health service counsellers (that mostly advocated that they should cry it out... well, that did NOT work and it made me go nutty to listen to the poor wee things cry). I have a lot of experience in finding ways to help them sleep, and have been re-inventing the wheel a thousand times (because lots of what I do has been done by parents for thousands of years, it just doesn't seem that anybody bothers to put it down in writing). I have been reading many books about babies´ sleep, and mostly they made me more insecure, because they said either:
1. Cry it out (and I couldn't do it).
2. Endure it and love your baby (and I desperately needed a tiny bit of sleep).
They were also often so big that a sleep deprived parent had no way of reading through them.
But, there came a book, with such a good amount of good advice, some things that I'd done with success, other things I hadn't done, other things I'd done but as it takes a few days to see the result I'd given up before seeing the good result.
Now I've got the courage to do the right thing, and already my younger baby is sleeping MUCH better. I wholeheartedly, lovingly, desperately, truly reccommend this book. I wish I'd had it 2 weeks before my first baby was born, but at least I'm glad it will help me and my second baby now, and a big number of loving, sleep deprived parents out there : ) What a great gift this book is : )

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Amazing Sleep Book Ever!!!!, 15 Jan 2004
Jess (Queensland, Australia) - See all my reviews
I am a Mum to a baby who has woken hourly since he was born. The only way I have been able to get him back to sleep is by b/feeding him. So, every night I would go to him 8,9 even 10 times to get him back to sleep. Then, I found this book and I feel like I've found heaven! NCSS changed my life. After 3 very consistent days/nights, my Son woke only twice needing my attention last night! TWICE!!!! I just want to scream I've got so much energy today! I've read so much about sleep from every angle. I've surfed hundreds of websites and even spoken to a sleep consultant and a GP. No-one could help me the way Elizabeth has with her fantastic book. This is the most helpful book regardless of the age of the baby/toddler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 9 Oct 2003
Liz Cole (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This book deserves to be a huge bestseller, much moreso than some of those other 'baby manuals' written by 'experts'.Elizabeth Pantley writes with compassion and authority without ever seeming overbearing or autocratic.As the mother of four children, two of whom slept well, and two of whom didn't, she is infinitely qualified, in my view, to advise and support other parents. If, like me, you are reaching the end of your tether with a baby or toddler who just doesn't seem to understand that daytime is for feeding and nighttime is for sleeping I strongly urge you to read this book.
The most important aspect of this book is that it is written with the utmost respect for parents who desperately need some sleep,but who cannot bear the idea of making their baby 'cry it out'.If you feel there has to be another way, a gentler way to ease your baby and yourself to a more restful night, you have found it.
Equally, the author, as far as I can judge, has succeeded in speaking to each parent individually by carefully considering as many different styles of parenting as there are parents. So whether you breastfeed or bottlefeed, co-sleep, cot sleep or nursery sleep, Elizabeth Pantley has useful, workable, supportive solutions to severe sleep-deprivation. There is even a really encouraging section for parents like me, whose baby doesn't immediately start to sleep through. I found this really helpful, because it gave me the necessary encouragement to carry on trying the different suggestions and find one that suited us.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars The is the ONLY sleep book you need to read!, 9 April 2002
By A Customer
How many people have asked you 'Is your baby sleeping through the night'? and then followed it up with 'Well, you just have to let them cry-it-out (CIO).' I heard this constantly and even a person just suggesting that I let my little baby CIO made my heart hurt. I knew I would never, could never, do this to my child. And you know what, I didn't have to...and neither do you. When you sit down to read this book, Elizabeth becomes your friend instantly. It's a page turner! Her writing style feels like a big hug from a mom who has been exactly where you are right now. And the best part. Not only do feel like you are commiserating with another mother in the same boat as you, you see that the there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Elizabeth will get you to that light. There are many books out there that try to fit all babies into one mold by having strict schedules and make parents feel like they need to be in control. As you have learned with your child(ren) this simply is not true. Not all babies respond to the same methods. Elizabeth presents methods for all types of families and their parenting styles. She respects you. Whether you are breast or bottle feeding, have a crib sleeper or you co-sleep, or if you're just trying to get rid of the pacifier, it doesn't matter; there are options for everyone - and they WORK. When I read this book my baby was waking so often I couldn't even count. I was at my rope's end. Elizabeth has you log night wakings, and when I counted 13 (not a typo) times in a 12-hour period, I knew I needed some serious help. With Elizabeth's method's, we got down to 3 wakings, then 2, which is fine with me as a nursing mother. Trust your instincts. Following your baby's cues will build a wonderful trust between you and your child. Parenting is a 24-hour job. A baby does not understand why, just because it's 3 a.m., he can't receive the love and attention that he gets from you at 3 p.m. A clock should not dictate when we give our all to our children. Show your child that he can trust that you are there for him, and that he can be helped to go to sleep in a warm, loving, safe environment, without being left to cry or wondering why he can't be with you. Elizabeth's book will help you do just this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all sleepless mothers!, 12 Aug 2006
Elizabeth Pantley's no cry sleeping solution really works! I am the mother of a one year old baby girl, who would wake me up about every hour to breastfeed! In my surroundings, everyone, including my pediatrician, adviced me to let her cry herself to sleep. Finding this absolutely barbarous as a method of treating this helpless little bundle depending on me, I resigned myself to sleepless nights! Until I found Elizabeth Pantley's book! Read it, it is clear, well written and based on real mother experiences. I am now sleeping 12 hour nights, undisturbed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars SLEEP!!! WONDERFUL SLEEP!!!, 25 Feb 2003
K. Conner - See all my reviews
If you are looking for some sleep, BUY IT NOW!!! This book puts your baby's needs first, unlike the 'Cry it out' method. But, it also recognizes that Mommy needs rest too and tells you how to acheive that rest while still tending to the needs of your precious baby. No crying required (for Mommy or Baby)!!!
This book is the best thing I've come across. Like so many other Mothers, my baby was still waking all night long. In fact, my baby was waking every hour on the hour! And, he had to be nursed to/back to sleep for each and every nap and all night long. I don't have to tell you how tiring this was.
I did so much research and only saw 2 ways to deal with it, 'Cry it Out' and 'Live with it'. Well, that is untill some great mothers over at the Babycenter message boards recommended that I try this book. So, I gave it a shot. It was the best 11 bucks I have ever spent in my life!!!
Christopher is now sleeping from 8:30 pm until around 2:30 am! He goes to sleep at 6:30 pm and wakes for a 'milkie' at 8:30 pm. Then, he is out until 2:30 am!!! I know he wakes and settles himself several times during that 6 hour stretch. After the 2:30 am feeding, he is normally out till around 6:30 am!!!
Christopher is also sleeping in his crib now, which is beside my bed. I have only been using this sleep plan for 10 days and look at the success. The success started on the 3rd night. I started seeing him be able to sleep longer and longer. And, now he is even able, sometimes, to fall alseep on his own!
Elizabeth Pantley is a God send! She has children of her own (4) and has actually used these techniques on her own baby. This book is the top of my list for a gift for any new Mom. I wish someone would have told me of this book 7 months ago.
Thank you Elizabeth! You have changed my life!

The No-Cry Sleep Solution Enhanced Ebook