5.0 out of 5 stars Jonathan Wilson - Fanfare heralds an American Beauty
Jonathan Wilson has been very industrious of late not least producing tracks on the epic new album by Roy Harper "Man & Myth". He must be an expert on time management since this new album "Fanfare" is a long 13 track double like his last album 2011's "Gentle Spirit". That was a very personal outing with a Laurel Canyon vibe that produced a mix of sheer brilliance but also...
Published 10 months ago by Red on Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware this is not Gentle Spirit 2
Gentle Spirit is one of the best albums of the last 20 years. The Laurel Canyon set updated. Cohesive, melancholy, fantastically creative, full of beautiful imagery, well produced and stunningly played.

Published 10 months ago by muso

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanfare, 29 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fanfare (Audio CD)
Fanfare is yet another fantastic album from Jonathan wilson, amazing arrangement, awesome vocals , basically an all round Fab album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 20 Oct 2013
Helen 68 (Reading, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fanfare (Audio CD)
Haven't heard a new sound released that sounds this great for a long time, feels like this is a much older classic album. Two listens straight off after downloading...not something I do often. Look forward to seeing him play with Roy Harper very soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware this is not Gentle Spirit 2, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fanfare (Audio CD)

Fanfare is well produced and stunningly played, but is not cohesive, does not flow, has lost that melancholy beauty. It has some excellent tracks but interspersed with them are some tracks that would be on the "B" side of a second rate America/Dylan/ELO/Allman Brothers album. Stylistically it edges towards CSNY at times, which wouldn't be a bad thing if it remained at the Folky/Country/Rock of turn of the decade from the 60s/70s, rather than the flimsy AOR/MOR of the middle 70s.

Still glad I bought it, but it will not be on constant rotation like Gentle Spirit.

I am disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars really good and very pleased, 30 July 2014
This review is from: Fanfare (Audio CD)
Classic CD, really good and very pleased, delivery was timely.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing...., 29 Dec 2013
J. Willis (London, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fanfare (Audio CD)
I loved Jonathan Wilson's 'Gentle Spirit', but if I had any criticisms, it was that it sometimes lost focus. The same applies with 'Fanfare', but even more so. There is no doubting its ambition, and the intention to make an epic album, but I personally feel that it lacks the songs to do so. The line between drawing on his influences and pastiche is very fine, and too often you can hear Jonathan Wilson crossing over into outright plagiarism! For me, a few songs stand out. 'Love To Love' being one, more so because it's a rare occasion where he keeps it straightforward. So while 'Fanfare' is very much an L.A album, it probably represents the self-important/indulgent era of the late 70's rather than the spirit of Laurel Canyon's heyday that 'Gentle Spirit' tapped into.

5.0 out of 5 stars spirit music?, 18 Dec 2013
Nikolaos Oikonomidis (Thessaloniki Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fanfare (Audio CD)
At first I thought I liked this less than Gentle spirit; the songs didn't seem to make a certain impression on me, as if I wasn't able to figure out what I was listening to, and I had the feeling the sound was less characteristic than that of Gentle spirit(which I had liked a lot).But I kept listening on and on and gradually I grew so fond of Fanfare that I consider it the most engaging thing I listened to this year, so rich in music and melodies that many times I find myself discovering new aspects of enjoying parts of these songs that you never get tired of listening to.If music has to do with beauty, this is great music;I also think it takes us to a tour through rock'n'roll history, one song sounding like Neil Young, another like Jackson Browne(who participates as Crosby and Stills also do), somewhere I had the feeling of Elton John sounds, but the total identity of the record is Jonathan Wilson's for sure.Great companion overall and if there ain't a song here that can make me break down and cry(as my friend David Bowie of the past used to sing), well nowhere is these days.However, I believe Fanfare would have done better in the lists of best 2013 music if the voters had the chance to devote more time to listening to it, as I think it reveals its potential after getting more acquainted to it(I disagree with the idea that the more you listen to anything the more you get used to it and like it;I usually get easily bored but not with Fanfare).

3.0 out of 5 stars Trumpet, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Fanfare (Audio CD)
Nothing to write home about, maybe I was expecting too much. Fine in the background but not for a close listening session.

1.0 out of 5 stars Has Neil Young heard track 8 it's Dangerbird !, 23 Dec 2013
Mr. A. W. Riggs "bernard shakey" (Wallington, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fanfare (Audio CD)
I'll give this a few more listens but these glowing reviews appear to be a tad over the top. Granted it's an interesting set of songs but clocking in at over 70 minutes it's far too long and in my view certainly runs out of steam. Some of the songs over stay their welcome by 2-3 minutes I'll persevere but I don't get it and Neil may have a word to say about the track Illumination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanfare indeed it is !., 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Fanfare (Audio CD)
Johnathan wilson has done it again with his usual top draw song writing and his lush production quality this album is well crafted thought provoking sentimental romantic so many changes and moods I can not recommend it enough! beautiful album.
so light that log fire dim those lights pour that drink and chill my friends chill. Johnathan Wilson I thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, absolutely beautiful., 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fanfare (Audio CD)
I've just bought this CD, and don't have a lot of time unfortunately. But I do have enough time to say this is beautiful. The previous reviewer has got it spot on. I've only listened to it once ( so far ) and can't recommend it highly enough.

As a review, this really doesn't give it justice - one word : Gorgeous.

Fanfare
Fanfare by Jonathan Wilson (Audio CD - 2013)