Brief Review:

If you want a simple, helpful and supportive introduction into visual note-taking then buy this book. Highly recommended.

Longer Review:

This is a lovely book. I enjoyed reading it through first and then going back to it again and again to try out the exercises.

Like a lot of people, I've always been a bit of a...
Published 17 months ago by Andrew Lloyd Gordon

2.0 out of 5 stars Gimmicky
Personally did not appeal to me. Rather trivial content lacking in substance. Have read books on mind mapping far more useful, pertinent and relevant. Stylized to appeal to a certain audience. YMMV.
Published 3 months ago by Cmmdrdata

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb guide to visual note taking - not just for people who can already draw, 16 Feb 2013
Brief Review:

Longer Review:

Like a lot of people, I've always been a bit of a 'doodler'. Like a lot of people, I got in trouble at school for doodling when I should have been studying!

It's funny how those type of memories stay with you.

My continued interest in sketching and mind-mapping, meant that when I saw this book mentioned on a blog I was reading, I headed over to Amazon to pick it up. I'm glad I did.

The book is titled, 'The Sketchnote Handbook' because it's meant for people who take notes during conferences, seminars, webinars and so on. Whilst it's an awesome guide for those type of events, the book provides plenty of insights and inspiration for those of us who just like to doodle!

Saying that, if you are someone who needs to collect and collate information from events, or if you want to better engage with study materials, then visual notetaking (combining written notes with sketches, icons and diagrams) really helps. Indeed, the sketchnote process makes the whole note-taking thing more enjoyable and rewarding. Which means you'll take more notes and learn from them better too!

The book provides a step-by-step process of how to create your own sketchnotes. It gives you plenty of exercises to try out and simple ways to draw everyday things. I especially liked the part that helps you draw convincing faces! The book even tells you which types of pens and notebooks to use!

What's great about the advice in the book is that you can apply it straight away and see an immediate improvement in the sketches you make.

Since reading the book, I've been applying these techniques on the whiteboards and flipcharts I use when training people (in digital marketing). People now say things like, 'Wow! You're so good at drawing!'.

I just smile and nod appreciatively :)

Finally, I know some people don't feel that they can draw. Well, this book helps you overcome that anxiety. Although it won't turn you into a great artist, this book will certainly help you become a great 'sketchist'?!

Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars totally worth to have!, 23 April 2013
If you struggle with taking notes in seminars and talks and you usually don't go back to your notes because they are deadly boring i recommend you get this book !
really helped me !
Also its a book to read in a day since its all visualized/illustrated ! (I'm a slow reader as well)

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Must Have' for your skillset !, 3 Jan 2013
This book is absolutely brilliant in detailing the art of effective SketchNoting. Takes you through a comprehensive guide to techniques, how-to's and includes tips, exercises, ways to improve and even a CD with video guide as well.

I have zero artistic skills when it comes to drawing, yet this book is teaching me how to draw, represent and communicate effectively through the art of SketchNoting ... with some really impressive outputs.

If you're considering getting this book, I'd recommend it and say go for it.

It's a really useful tool to enhance your skills and provide you with the tools to create some awesome outputs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some thought provoking ideas, 10 Jun 2013
Michael Pluke (Ipswich, England) - See all my reviews
It seems that it may take me a little practice to master the techniques of sketchnote recording. But even my very shaky early attempts make me believe that it will be worth trying the very large range of options and ideas in this book until I get a style that suits my personality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for focussing the mind of a doodler!, 4 Jun 2013
I bought this book because I was struggling with making notes for my university course. I know so many people rave about how marvellous mind maps are but they just don't work for me... but I do find that pictures/little simple diagrams (even using stick men) tend to make more sense and stay in my memory so I use them when possible but most other times I found myself rambling on with pages of text that I wouldn't remember later. I've always doodled, I tend to doodle when I'm listening to something or on the phone so I thought I should try and focus on that skill and turn into meaningful notes.
I read through this book in a day (the whole book is presented as a series of sketch-notes, not pages of text and drawing lessons) and I do find that using even some of the ideas from it really helps my note-taking. You don't have to be especially good at art to make this work and it will actually teach you a some very easy, quick skills to better drawing and using text. Even simple dividers between subjects in my notes seem in my mind more effective than the old standard straight line across the page I've always used. A great idea and a presented in a useful way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly enjoyable and entertaining, 22 Mar 2014
Every time I make a big order on amazon, I buy one book that is a "wildcard". Meaning that it's a book that I'm not very sure about, but I'll give it a chance. This was my latest wildcard, and I am so happy I bought it. It has proven extremely inspiring.

A word about first impression and how it can be deceiving in this case: as you can see, this is a book "written" in sketchnotes. At first I thought that 224 pages of that can't really hold that much content and it might be one of those "too much money for too little information". NOT TRUE! I have found tons of interesting ideas, and lots of inspiration in this book. As a side note, I work as a designer and do have a bit of sketching skills already. But I can definitely see this book as a valuable, inspiring asset to anyone. Perhaps even more so to people who are scared to give their creative side a try. "Oh, but I can't draw!...." is something that I hear very often from people around who don't have a design degree in their resume. As if a piece of paper from a university would somehow give you "a license to doodle"! :) Oh, yes, you can draw. I dare you! Power to the people! :))

2.0 out of 5 stars Gimmicky, 5 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring & practical, 28 Feb 2014
Great book, practical guide, very easy to read. I loved the top tips pages that sit between each chapter, written by 10 other graphic note takers, really great to see a variety of styles - like 11 for the price of 1!

I am really enjoying applying this to meetings and also to note taking from books, and practising using the exercise pages included at the back.

If you want to learn how to sketch note this is the book you need!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book about the -(art)- of sketchnoting, 26 Feb 2014
I feel that this review should be in a form of a sketchnote, shame an option unavailable to amazon (yet).

Mike Rohde is an illustrator, designer, author and a sketchnoter from Wisconsin. He is also a cool dude, who likes to get entertained more often than regular people get a chance to. The accumulated over the years experience of doodling during lectures, talks and conferences would be a waste if it didn't find an exit into a wonderful book Mike created. He firmly believes that this form of note-taking is a far more useful, quick, and, most importantly, fun way of recording and storing information.

This book is not for artists. This book is for absolutely everyone who takes notes, any notes. And especially for those who can't resist wonderful things like Muji pens, Moleskine notebooks and other pretty stationary. It reads with pleasure and sets your brain into sketchnote mode, you won't resist trying it out almost immedeately. I am convinced that most people who will pick up this book will get inspired and lose their blank-page-fobia.

I am the type of person who takes precise notes in gazillion sentenses and never ever looks at them again. However, I have used the sketchnoting approach (without realising what it was) to transmit information onto my students. I never thought this method applied to my out of classroom situations, I now realise I was wrong. I also never thought I could draw people. Ever. Not only can I draw them now, I can also give them a purpose or an emotion in under 10 seconds.

And even if you don't find this approach practical in your professional life, after reading this book you will certainly rock at pictionary.

A little something to improve: the book is printed on a nice to touch expensive paper. It also has many pages with a black background. It was a shame to find some fingerprints on the main cover when I opened the amazon brown envelove (of course, I added some myself almost immediately). A plastic wrap around it could solve handling damage, at least until the book gets to its owner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practicing the preach ... to a good end., 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Sketchnote Handbook: The Illustrated Guide to Visual Note Taking (Kindle Edition)
A good read!

I don't know why but I was possibly expecting a little more from the reviews I read,however I can't fault this book.
It's an easy enjoyable read where the art of sketch noting has been put into practice through out the whole book. This in itself showed the value... Not a dull page, some memorable after a single pass!

I guess I have always done some form of sketchnoting and although there was not huge amounts fundamentally new to me, here it did surface the real value, and cause me to think,focus and find enjoyment in note talking again.
Well worth a read and an hour or two of your time

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›