5.0 out of 5 stars Buy or Die release, 24 Aug 2007
This review is from: Elvis At Sun (Audio CD)
This is absolute must have edition and what makes it different from others is the fact that 90% of songs featured here come from older generation master tapes that were hidden in Sam Phillips vaults and were not available before.
Sound is simply amazing, specially when compared to 50's masters or 'Sunrise'.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive release of Elvis's Sun material, 20 Sep 2004
Marc Haegeman "Marc Haegeman" (Gent, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elvis At Sun (Audio CD)
This is by far the best release of Sun material around, surpassing all previous efforts by the mere quality of the sound restoration. Other releases might have been more complete, but listening to "Elvis at Sun" proves more revelatory than all, even fifty years after date.
Groundbreaking, visionary, indispensable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A piece of history!, 24 Oct 2010
E. Braben - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elvis At Sun (Audio CD)
I love this cd. If I close my eyes I'm transported back to the little Sun studio where history was being made. These early recordings sound uninhibited and experimental and the enjoyment of the musicians is evident. Bill's bass and Scotty's guitar playing create a unique backing sound. I love 'You're a Heartbreaker' and 'Mystery Train'. Some of the songs are 'in progress' others are as they were released. The booklet with the cd contains information about the songs and it was written by Ernst Jorgensen who knows a thing or two. Also there's a nice piece written by Sam Phillips' son Knox. There are some songs that I have heard referred to in the many books I have read but I hadn't come across them on any of the other cds I have e.g Harbor Lights, Milkcow Blues, Good Rockin' Tonight. Others might be on cds you already have e.g. Trying to get to you, I forgot to remember to forget (wonderful lyrics)and Baby Let's Play House. But for the unique moment in history that this cd encapsulates it's an essential addition to any Elvis collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive, 18 Jun 2011
This review is from: Elvis at Sun (Audio CD)
Having read earlier reviews, I made sure that I bought the Audio CD version, which is 30p more !

I have versions of the Elvis Sun Collection on both vinyl and cassette tape from long ago.

This CD version seems very clean and pure, with the instrumentals in particular coming across very well, almost as though you are in the recording studio - amazing since we are talking about more than 50 years ago !

My CD has 19 tracks on it and interesting 'liner notes'.

A bargain at this price and a piece of music history - what more could anyone want.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 25 Aug 2012
This review is from: Elvis At Sun (Audio CD)
I was born the day Jailhouse Rock was released in the UK, so I was bought up listening to Elvis, I went through my teenage years with Deep Purple and Elvis in my record collection. I have lots of Elvis records then CD's but this is one of my favourites, I'm disabled now so can't get abour alot, but when I got this I have a cd player that plays a stack so I just left it in cos I loved it so very much. The young Elvis was the very best, its even converted my husband into an Elvis fan, until he heard this he couldn't really see why I liked him so much, he said he was OK now he thinks he's great. WOW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock on a Roll, 25 Aug 2012
Dr. Delvis Memphistopheles "FIST" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Elvis at Sun (Audio CD)
Birth place of a fusion, as Elvis' early years are recorded in the biog, a mixture of being under and over whelmed as the singer struggled to break free from the shackles of a blanket Biblical conformity- "it don't move me, let's get real gone, and then he put some shuffle into the delivery into Milk Cow Blues. So rock and roll was engaged in.

Building up on the template laid down in the segregated shacks, he unleashed a Reichian orgone revolution, as the waves of sexual repression finally broke free as the South arose again, in a different way, erupting in "Mystery Train," "That's alright Mamma," and "Good Rockin' Tonight". Musical cuts creating the stirrings of a frenzy that was to change the social character of the world.

Here stripped down to a voice and the beat rhythm backing this is musical on a very basic level, all the effects erased in the numerous RCA recordings, with a few additions not on the Sun LP.

After this, he still had to navigate the Southern repressives at Nashville, but slowly the euphoria spread along the airwaves as teenagers became born. Well worth a revisitation as the birthplace of everything that came next, a snapshot when rock was still locked into a constant roll.

5.0 out of 5 stars . . . . . . ' I SING LIKE NOBODY ', 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: Elvis At Sun (Audio CD)
That was Elvis' reply in 1954 when he was asked who he sang like as he walked into Sun Studios before laying down the first world changing tracks.

And he wasn't kidding. He really didn't sound like anybody.

The tracks 19 year old Presley recorded at Sun Studios in Memphis Tennessee were mostly blues and country songs he had listened to while growing up in Tupelo and Memphis. But when you compare his versions with the original records, they are DIFFERENT. Elvis revamped and energised those tracks like a demon on fire. They sounded completely NEW and turbo-charged.

There was nothing wrong with the original songs of course but this good looking blue-eyed hyper with a strange magnetic voice injected adrenaline into every syllable. And he did it with just his own battered acoustic guitar, Scotty Moore on electric guitar, Bill Black on stand-up bass, and later, the most basic of drums played by D J Fontana.

And that's it. The fuse was lit and the world's not been the same since - Elvis Presley turned it upside down and set it on fire. Songs like That's All Right Mama, Mystery Train, Good Rockin' Tonight, and an electrifying Tryin' To Get To You still bleed today.

Reviewing each track is pointless but I can state that even though I was many years from being born, I am transported back to the mid 50s with every single track. I can even hear the freight trains and smell the tennessee swamps. It is no overstatement to suggest that music history was rewritten with just these recordings.

If you were forced to throw away your entire CD collection but allowed to keep just one, then this is the one to keep. Because this is:

. music history in the actual making.
. the very beginning of modern day pop and rock.
. the music that kicked down race barriers.
. the man who gave teenagers an identity.
. the man who literally changed American and western culture.

This IS Elvis Presley.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis at Sun, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Elvis At Sun (Audio CD)
It's Elvis at his earliest and in my opinion, at his best.
It is the great Elvis, what's more to say

5.0 out of 5 stars elvis, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Elvis At Sun (Audio CD)
Fantastic CD,glad I sent for it some really old stuff on here worth listening to.definitely recommend to all Elvis fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars The king has gained his crown!, 17 July 2014
This review is from: Elvis At Sun (Audio CD)
A great sign of what was to come from this musical genius. Not one duff track on an album that comes from the kings grestest era.

Elvis At the Sun