4.0 out of 5 stars It's great but...
The Bee Gees, The Average White Band and many more seem to be 'missing' from this album.
There's room for improvement here, but that said if you're new to disco then this will be for you, thanks in no part to the apparent disco revival at the moment thanks to a certain Daft Punk/Nile Rodgers collaboration.
All the classics are here even if some of them do...
Published 15 months ago by Jez1972

1.0 out of 5 stars A disgrace to the "NOW" brand
This is a shoddy release and a real disappointment to the Now brand which used to be reliable for quality control i.e. proper single versions. I'm shocked at the dodgy edits, re-mixes, album versions, and possible re-recorded versions of tracks that appear on this release.

Published 15 months ago by RPM

1.0 out of 5 stars A disgrace to the "NOW" brand, 3 Sep 2013

The worst dodgy edit is Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" which is butchered, and the worst example of a possible re-record is "In The Navy" by Village People which doesn't even feature the correct lead vocal.

I don't recall ABBA ever being classed as "disco", and Boney M were pop, not disco. "Ain't Nobody" by Rufus feat. Chaka Khan is a soul classic from 1984 - it's not a disco classic.

The Now brand which used to stand for quality compilations is being ruined by dodgy rushed compilations like this one. Someone that knows each genre should check that the correct versions are being used, and that each song can be classed in that genre. There seems to be as much effort being put into releasing a full price compilation like this, as there is in a budget release. Would a track like "Que Tal America" that reached number 46 in 1979 really have been deemed worthy of inclusion in a definitive, well researched disco compilation album?

Must try harder.

3.0 out of 5 stars Now thats what I call thirty years late Disco, 2 Sep 2013
Marcia "marcia" (england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
My Brother has this CD and having heard it I have to say that it is a good compilation of commercial Disco. It also has an impressive amount of classic commercial pop Disco tracks.

However I have to say that this is just an exercise in cashing in. In Fact Now that's what I call music are only about thirty years late.
According to Pop historians Now that's what I call music was the original compilation albums of original artists (which isn't actually true because there were other compilation albums before 1983) and the Now that's what I call music series started thirty years ago in 1983.
It is true that Now that's what I call music was a leader or pioneer in compilation albums that offered a mixture of new and recent hits in one package. This has been its strength for three decades since 1983.
Since then other companies have released many compilations of commercial Disco. Only in the last couple of years or so have Now that's what I call music really got into making themed compilations. And in that they are not pioneering they are just copying other companies that have been doing it for years. And here we have Commercial Disco.
Its all been done before many times and Now that's what I call music have taken thirty years to catch up. The same could be said for the other recent Now that's what I call music themed albums such as Reggae.
In fact there were actual compilations of commercial Disco before 1983. So nothing new here.
Also on a negative point I was horrified to hear that they have included an edit of I feel Love by Donna Summer here. The edit they have used isn't actually an edit at all, it is an extract from the Giorgio Moroder produced and mixed best of album "On the Radio" where a number of hits where mixed together. Therefore this extract here has the track losing its original intro and suddenly crashing in. And at the point where it then mixed into the next track on the album "On the Radio" it suddenly stops and crashes to a halt. The track is incomplete. Why not use the original version? Oh yes of course so they can get more songs on the album. Another example of cashing in again. In fact although I don't like the idea, it would even have been preferable to have just faded the original track out early if you need to edit rather than use this extract.
More issues are with sound. The tracks have different recording volumes and no attention has been made to level things out. Some tracks are not the original versions but are re mixes and other tracks are re master versions sitting next to digital copy tracks. Sound and volume is all over the place.
Anyway there are three discs crammed with commercial Disco hits some of which have been edited down so you don't get the full version. It is nicely presented but no booklet and very little information or production credits.
It is perhaps a good addition to the Now that's what I call music series for those that collect everything. And it certainly represents commercial pop Disco. There are better compilations out there though.

2.0 out of 5 stars 'O.K. For Casual Disco Lovers But Not all Original Versions', 1 Sep 2013
Antony May (East Sussex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Now That's What I Call Disco (MP3 Download)
The 'Now' brand used to be the real McCoy when it came to providing listeners with great quality, good value for money releases that ALWAYS stuck to putting out well compiled collections that featured only ORIGINAL versions of hits. Sadly, in 2013 this no longer applies and all too often a few 're-records', 'dodgy remasters' and poor quality sound/mastering creeps in to spoil the party.

'Now That's What I Call Disco' suffers with a similar fate. The sound quality varies wildly from track to track and seeing as the compilers have often placed songs from different era's next to each other the dip/rise in volume becomes ever more noticeable. I have serious reservations as well about some of the versions here. "In The Navy' by Village people sounds to me like either a re-record or a sub standard live recording. The Labelle 'Lady Marmalade' version also sounds live and what they have done to KC & The Sunshine Band's 'Get Down Tonight' I don't know as it sounds as if re-recorded in a cave with a manic keyboard player going crazy in situ!

Remastering classic hits and then putting them on compilations alongside totally original versions should be outlawed and for anyone wanting to own the definitive versions of these songs this album is a disaster. If on the other hand you just want a compilation that will bring back memories and are not bothered about the odd volume change, the switch from 7" edits to album versions or re-mastered horror stories then you will be all right with this. To me though, as a genuine music lover, I can't recommend this compilation because to me integrity is everything and a truly great compilation would include nothing but the original versions of classic hits.

Sometimes less really is more.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's great but..., 3 Sep 2013
Jez1972 (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
All the classics are here even if some of them do sound dodgy.
Ideal for a party when you're not really listening to the sound quality of these tracks but put it in headphones and it really shows in places!
I there will be another one but I won't hold my breath!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, these songs are fantastic!!, 26 Aug 2013
Bantam Dave (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I hate disco's; I've turned fifty now so I don't suppose that I'm meant to like them now, but even when I was young I didn't like them. They were too noisy and I couldn't dance, so I spent my nights in the pub even though my chances of pulling there weren't good, indeed, thirty years on I now know they were zero. In those days I didn't like disco music neither, I don't suppose many young blokes did, preferring something a bit heavier and more rocking. Time changes your taste though and now whenever the old disco tracks are played on the car radio they nearly always sound fantastic, and usually leave me wanting to hear more. I've bought this 3 CD set and that is what I have now got - much more, sixty three absolutely brilliant tracks with not a bad one amongst them. Listening to the songs on these CD's is a joy, and I find it difficult to choose the highlights but who can resist Disco Inferno, Boogie Wonderland, Is it Love you're After, Boogie Nights, Car Wash, September and the sublime Boogie, Oogie, Oogie? Even the slightly cheesy ones - D.I.S.C.O, I Love the Nightlife and Spacer - sound amazing. The choice of tracks included is excellent and I can only think of one track that is missing, Dan Hartman's Instant Replay, which I would like to have seen included.

I still can't dance, and I won't be dancing to these CD's, but this does not dilute the sheer pleasure that Now That's What I Call Disco gives me. Wow!!

4.0 out of 5 stars 'MANY MAGIC MOMENTS ON BOARD', 17 Sep 2013
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
for me memories are more important than what a compilation does or does not claim to be.
'Disco' well I have to say again for me, 'dancing' at a disco was all about the beat and
what you felt able to dance along with, I remember during the still young days of what
became 'Disco' not getting on to the dance floor, didn't feel comfortable for me, the
person I used to go with always wanted me too, I thought i'd make a fool of myself, then
one day.....I did get up....the 'DJ' ran a sequence of 'Stones' songs, I watched what
others were doing and thought ....I can do that....so I did.
I remember dancing to all sorts of sounds back then including 'Sweet' 'T.Rex' 'E.L.O' and
yes early, what is now classed as 'Disco' sounds of the seventies and eighties....such as
in the main this is.
yes sadly as with many compilations there are a number of re-mixes and re-recordings which
mean some of the sounds are not quite as we remember them.
also of course you could argue that there are many important 'Disco' artists missing from
the listings on the compilation, for me one of the most significant acts from the era
covered was of course 'The Bee Gee's' who famously created a 'Disco' sound for soundtracks
such as 'Saturday Night Fever'
of course there are obstacles such as price and copyright which prevents the use of many
of the great acts being included on this type of compilation.
however, all that aside, 'NOW' has for many years released great albums such as this and
will no doubt keep doing.
for me numbers such as 'Sister Sledge's' --'We are Family' ...'Diana Ross's'--'Upside down'
'Village People's'---'Y.M.C.A'...'Boney M's' ---'Rasputin'...'Abba's'---'Dancing Queen'
( if you could dance to songs like this at a disco back then ) it belongs on the listing.
'Tavares'---'More than a Woman'...'Ottawan's'---'D.I.S.C.O'...'Shalamar'---'A Night to
Remember'....just a few of the numbers on disc one that persuaded me to buy.
on the 2nd disc, these are some of the numbers that attracted my attention....'K.C and the
Sunshine Band'---'That's the way I Like it'...'Donna Summer'---'Hot Stuff'...'Village People'
---'In The Navy' ,,,'The Real Thing's'---'Can you feel the Force'...'Heatwave'--'Boogie Nights'
...'George MaCrae's'---'Rock your Baby' and 'McFadden and Whitehead's'---'Ain't no Stopping us now'
and on disc '3' ...'The Jacksons'---'Blame it on the Boogie'...'Chic'---'Le Freak'...'Silver
Convention's'---'Get up and Boogie'....'Yvonne Elliman's'---'If I Can't have You'...'Chaka Khan's'
---'I'm Every Woman'....'Thelma Houston's'---'Don't Leave me this Way' and 'Dan Hartman's'---
'Relight My Fire' ........i've highlighted some of tracks that drew my attention to the 3-Disc
compilation, there are of course many, many, more worth a mention, however I just wanted to
point out one or two to that drew my initial attention.
Well, if you like the sounds and when playing feel the urge to dance.....this is for you, memories
of those days always worth a spin,,,,,,,,,,enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
another great gym motivator and bringing back so many memories, would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
excellant thx

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
Great CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Now Disco CD, 20 Jun 2014
tRIPS OF NOSTALGIA GOOD MUSIC RECOMMENDED AND VERY PLEASED WITH PROJECT i
USED IT FOR EASY LISTENING VERY PLEASED WITH IT.