5.0 out of 5 stars epic mouse not just for MMO
had this beastie for a week and I had great time in every game I played. MMOs,shooters,anything,with thumb buttons you get a lot of new options,leaving your W-A-S-D fingers always where they should be.many ways to customize pretty much every feature it has,and fits hand wonderfully- anti-slip surface,very light too.you get your money worth ten times over.
Published 8 months ago by vlad

So Razer release their new addition to the franchise; the Razer Naga 2014. Picture my excitement... I have a lot of trust in the brand, previously owning the Razer Lycosa and the Razer Naga 3.5g. I am very psyched to see what improvements have been made. There I am, unwrapping it, paid extra for speedy delivery and then... utter disappointment.

Okay, I may have...
Published 5 months ago by Pen Name

5.0 out of 5 stars epic mouse not just for MMO, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Razer Naga 2014 Expert MMO Gaming Mouse (Personal Computers)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for any game not just MMO's, 3 Oct 2013
Just upgraded to this mouse from my molten naga which was starting to fail on me :(, i thought i would give the new model a try, so far im liking it but just wish that the buttons on the side were a little more split up from each other and just a few mm bigger, but that can vary on preference for each person.
Apart from that it does what it says on the description and it doesn't get much better then this fora mouse tons of DPI, looks good, feels great especially with the anti-sweat coating it has, overall the size fit great in my hands apart from that little issue with the buttons on the side, plus the Razer Synapse software is really good tons of customization,

All in all ill recommend this mouse for anyone that likes gaming, in MMO's is where it shines brightest but in other games like BF3 were you dont have to take your hands of the WASD keys to swap weapons or even melee, plus the great DPI and and razer GOLIATH control mat works wonder for accuracy, the customization is nearly endless.

So.... BUY IT!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect!, 12 Oct 2013
My previous two mice were the Logitech G5 and MX518 - two of the finest mice ever made. I decided it was time to change as the G5 was starting to show its age and I wanted something that would give extra functionality in MMO's, but also be a good all round mouse.

Hardware:
The mouse is well made and put together. It doesn't feel quite as 'expensive' as the G5, but it is nice with some good details. The surface is very slightly textured hard plastic which is easy to grip, and there is a rubberised area on the side where the little finger sits, which is really nice. Ergonomically it is good with a comfortable recess for the ring finger and a nicely rounded shape. It should really suit people who rest their entire palm on the mouse. It is slightly less suitable for claw grip as the keypad buttons can get in the way. I use a combination of palm / claw and found it pretty comfortable, but it does take some time to get used to having the thumb resting on keys. As a result I did get a bit of cramp in my little finger, but suspect this will reduce as I adjust from the G5. It should suit large or small hands OK. Unlike the Naga 2012 this mouse does not have swappable side panels for different hand sizes, but the design of the 2014 model should suit almost everyone.

The star of the show is the keypad on the side. 12 mechanical buttons are all within easy reach of thumb placement, although buttons 10, 11 and 12 need a little stretch. The buttons click nicely and are perfectly weighted / responsive, so accidentally pressing them should be rare. Out of the box these buttons are mapped to the keys 1 through 9 plus 0, - and =. This overcomes one of the biggest problems of MMO's which is reaching for the keys to the right of the '5' on a standard keyboard.

Adapting to and using the keypad didn't take long. The keys are perfectly shaped so that it is easy to know where the 2, 5 and 8 keys are, and finding any others from there is simple.

This is a wired mouse, with braided cable and gold plated USB connector. The weight is not too heavy or light - unlike some other gaming mice, there is no option to add / remove weight, but unless you lift the mouse a lot I don't think this is a problem. The feet are extremely slick so the mouse glides effortlessly across surfaces. I have only tried it on a hard mouse mat (Razer Exactmat X Speed) which was great - but I will be swapping it for a cloth mat soon to avoid wear on the feet. The sensitivity / dpi of the mouse is set to 1800 which I initially found a bit high in general use, but have now got used to. The Naga can go up to 8400, which seems ridiculous to me as anything over about 2800 is too fast - but I'm probably just getting old!! In MMO's I think sensitivity needs to be dropped, so I normally go for 1400 - 1600.

The mouse wheel could do with a little more 'click' as it is rotated, and I'd like a fraction more travel with the middle click. Side to side clicks are fine and I've not found any problem with accidentally getting a side click when going for a middle click. The mouse wheel is rubberised with little bumps so no chance of slipping, but I'm not keen on the feel - would have preferred a grippy smooth rubber.

Lighting is green only, and can be controlled through software to light up the logo and / or keypad and / or mouse wheel. It would have been nice to have customisable lighting, as I could then use that as a visual reminder of which profile I have selected.

Overall this is an easy mouse to recommend for MMO players. I immediately found it easier and more convenient to use the Naga keypad than stretch across the keyboard for buttons. Combined with the Synapse 2.0 software it allows far more functionality to be added - for example, I can map Ctrl or Alt +1 to = on my Razer Anansi keyboard, and use the standard 1 to = on the Naga. This gives a huge amount of flexibility and customisability.

The reasons I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars is for a small number of nitpicky issues that many people won't care about. A slight issue with using it in claw grip gets a negative. The slightly spongy mouse wheel rotation (which is more personal preference than a fault). The lack of a general profile out of the box (for example mapping mouse keys 4 and 5 to sensitivity step changes. Mapping keypad 3 and 6 to forward / backwards in browser. Using left and right mouse wheel click to scroll left and right - all things the G5 did as standard). I would also say that to get the most out of this mouse you need the Synapse 2.0 software, which is good, but not great.

If you're primarily an MMO / RPG player - buy this mouse.

Software:
To get the most out of the mouse it is essential to download the Synapse 2.0 software. This allows much more control over the features such as creating macros and reassigning key mappings. I'm adding a review of the current version of the software (1.14) but as software can and will be updated this shouldn't impact the review of the hardware, hence why I've added this after my main review of the Naga 2014.

Synapse 2 allows every button on the mouse (except left click) to be remapped which is really handy, and profiles to be created for different needs. I currently have a general use profile for web browsing etc, and then separate profiles for each game. Setting up the profiles is really easy and there's a lot of functionality built in, such as mappings for media keys, ability to launch programs, assign and edit macros and more.

Another great feature is that if you have a Razer keyboard the software allows the two devices to 'talk' to each other. This means I can set up keyboard shortcuts that change the profile on the mouse, adjust sensitivity and other features. I can also use the Naga to change profiles on the keyboard. A nice feature that I hope is expanded on.

Other than customising the key mappings, the software allows adjusting performance (polling, sensitivity and acceleration) and it's nice to see that X and Y sensitivity can be split if needed. Lighting can be adjusted, and the mouse can be calibrated for the surface it is used on. In addition macros can be assigned and edited which works really well. The final feature is called 'Add On' which allows games that support the feature to have custom mappings / overlays added. I've found the list to be disappointingly small, but if you play WoW it has you well covered.

The overlay feature, which is well advertised hasn't worked in any game I tried. It is supposed to allow a keypress to call up an overlay in-game that allows mappings to to be created or adjusted on the fly. It sounds really useful, but I can't comment further. I hope Razer support this feature and the Add Ons better in future software updates.

One of the things that could be improved, is to tie together keyboard and mouse profiles a bit better. For example when I launch a particular game it should change both the keyboard and related mouse profile. It can be done, but requires more effort than I think should be needed. If you don't have a Razer keyboard the only option is to change profiles using the tray icon (a few clicks and easy to forget) or create mappings on the Naga itself, which takes up precious keys!

Another negative is the requirement to create a free account with Razer to use the software. This is annoying, and there should be an option to ignore the Razer cloud features.

In summary the software works and adds a great deal to the Naga, but needs more refinement.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 22 April 2014
razer synapse lets you adjust the sensitivity and the button functions really easily, and its very comfy. and i recomend it to anyone who enjoys gaming as much as i do!

4.0 out of 5 stars A slight adjustment, but once you've done that it's a real boon, 20 Nov 2013
I play a variety of games from MMOs to FPS; however, I was finding that in my current phase I'm leaning more towards the MMOs. I wanted more buttons easily accessible than I had on my previous mouse (Steelseries Sensei Pro), which I also disliked due to its symmetrical ambidextrous shape.

The Naga is slightly shorter and taller than most mice I have used, and appears relatively 'squat' compared to the Deathadder I also have. Nonetheless, it's pretty comfortable. It's best suited to a claw or claw-palm grip, and I personally found it very comfortable.

The buttons on the side are actually relatively easy to orientate yourself on due to the unique angles each key is placed at. Your thumb can rest very naturally in the center. I do occasionally lose track, but that's more due to my incompetence than their placement.

The Razer software, despite its initial online setup requirement, is actually one of the better packages I have used. It's easy to use and has a neat overlay that you can pull up whilst in game to change settings and keybindings on the fly.

Two downsides to the mouse, which both relate to standard buttons. Firstly, the traditional back and forward buttons that would be on the side are now behind the mouse wheel. My hands are fairly large so they are a real pain to press and require me to lift off the mouse. I ended up rebinding some of the number keys to these functions, so it's easily solved. Second minor issue is the scroll wheel's side movement. I find it a little too soft and therefore easy to trigger accidentally when doing a middle click.

Overall a really nice mouse, and perfect for MMOs; still very usable outside.

5.0 out of 5 stars An improvement from the old naga, 2 Oct 2013
I originally owned the first blue naga, and I have to say that this is a huge improvement especially with the mechanical 12 button grid.
I love it very nice mouse, its a shame I have stopped playing WoW anymore that much.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sticking, 12 Mar 2014
Installed and renstalled drivers many times tried diffrend razer mouse mats and tried on just my desk also dried cleaning mouse and resetting it but nothing has solved my problem,
every 1 - 5min the cursor sticks and wont move for a good 2 secs. Its a game changing flaw and as of now i cant find any fix for it all other razer mice haved worked fine for me including the naga i had befor from 2010 - 14 when it finaly broke and had to renew

LD;DR Do Not Buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Potentially a great device, if you like the improvements. Worth a read., 20 Jan 2014

Okay, I may have gone a little far with "utter disappointment". I totally get what Razer have tried to do here, and for those with big hands, small fingers and a fresh take on the Naga series, this might be the mouse for you. Now let me get to the fruit of why, for me, this is a negative review and a poorer product than the 3.5g.

I'll begin with the buttons on the side, the key feature of the Razer Naga. On the 2014 edition they are raised out and differently shaped with like, curved edges that are supposed to aid you in locating buttons by feeling them. Razer also boast hypersensitivity with these buttons - no joke about that. I play RTS at a high level and I love the 3.5g Naga because it isn't hyper sensitive. Sometimes I get in a game and it's all heated and I clasp the mouse for that sideways scroll. Big mistake on the new Naga 2014. If you have assigned buttons, prepare to be pressing one or several inadvertently. Worse still, the top row buttons (1-3) are now further away to allow big handed people with long thumbs the ability to reach them. Well I have an average hand with average fingers and an average thumb. I can reach buttons 10-12 comfortably on the 3.5g but I can't on the 2014. The change in design with the shift forward makes my thumb continually whack the plastic below the buttons. Over time, you do adjust, but as for the former problems noted in this paragraph, they persist. The buttons are also annoyingly small and the way they stick out (as opposed to being flat) is annoying after long periods of play.

Now lets look at the underneath of the Razer Naga 2014. 8200 DPI is useful if you want to shoot your cursor to the moon in just under 5 minutes. It's just totally unnecessary. Aside from optics, the 123/Num switcher has gone. This is a huge error on Razer's part. The 123/Num switcher was so great. It meant you could bind near non essential keys to the mouse and keep your keyboard completely free of overlap between those hotkeys and your mouse binds. Not a problem, you say? Just bind them to the Num Pad and carry on. Seems legit, unless of course your Razer Naga 2014 decides it wants to continually mess with you. That's right, it seems to forget you have Num Lock active at all. The result? Continuously having to disable/enable Num Lock.

What about the main size, the body of the mouse? Well it reminds me of the Microsoft Sidewinder 4000 (or something). It doesn't feel comfortable, the surface on the plastic doesn't feel nice (despite some people saying it does, I guess it's a preference thing!), and the way all of this combines to make a nice performance ... it just fails to hit the mark.

The positives are that this is still a really nice mouse, if everything I just said doesn't bother you. It moves nicely and has great accuracy... and I imagine with all the improvements Razer have done, to a newly acquainted user with a big hand and the right sized fingers and thumb, this could be ideal.

I had to give it a harsh 2 stars to not meeting my personal expectation. I have subsequently reordered a 3.5g after my old one broke as a replacement instead of the 2014. For those who think their old Naga was a great buy, reorder another one. For everyone else, learn to love the Razer Naga 2014. Overall, it is a good mouse, it just has improvements that are not to my liking, which I feel others would share if they are accustomed to the Epic/Molten/3.5g designs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Software did NOT work with my Mac, 14 Jan 2014
D. Knight (Billingshurst, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
Whilst the mouse itself is lovely the software did not work with my Mac even though it is supposed too. As soon as I downloaded the software (that you have to have if you want to use all the buttons on the mouse) it got stuck in a loop trying to update itself and never recovered. I tried uninstalling the software and trying again but to no avail. If you are on a mac AVOID this mouse.

4.0 out of 5 stars You learn to love it, 30 Nov 2013
Fraser McLeod "cu.cfyhfcu" (london) - See all my reviews
I made this purchase whilst slightly inebriated, so in the morning I was a bit dismayed after looking through numerous reviews that the mouse was not what I thought it was going to be.
I was more interested in a Naga in the style if the 2012 edition, with the inter-changeable side panels for desired mouse size. When the mouse arrived I was excited, un-boxed it very quickly and plugged it in. I instantly realised that it felt massive in comparison to my previous mice (Razer Deathadder and Abyssus), This was upsetting as I was more used to a straight hand resting style, making resting my hand on the Naga very strange and at some points even uncomfortable.

The mechanical number pad on the side was a lovely novelty at first, but because I don't play any games that use them, I didn't pay much attention to them. Eventually I started playing around with them in the Razer Synapse configurations, and using the keys to perform different functions, such as 'open in new tab', 'close tab','refresh',allowed for a huge ease of use in certain tasks (redditing).

If I had written a review straight away I would probably say that I disliked the mouse, and rather have bought the Deathadder 2013 edition, however now that I am acquainted with the mouse, it really is an incredible device, I feel it gives so much control in my hand movements, and especially in games that require a lot of micro, like Starcraft or Heroes of Newearth, I feel I am able to do exactly what I want with very easy movements.

All I could say to someone wanting to buy it is you need to spend time with it in order to reveal its true value.

Razer Naga 2014 Expert MMO Gaming Mouse