4.0 out of 5 stars A big, handsome Lancaster book.....
Another reluctant review which starts with a confession : I'm not the greatest fan of some of Mr Bowman's, or of Pen&Sword's, other books. And at first sight, I thought this likely to be a 're-hash' of 'Battles With The Nachtjagd', a previous ( and very expensive ) book co-written by Martin Bowman and Theo Boiten.
Certainly, the earlier book has been quarried for...
Published on 2 Oct 2009 by Martin Bull

3.0 out of 5 stars REPETATIVE STOREIES FROM OTHER BOOKS
TOO MANY SECTIONS IN OTHER BOOKS , I HAVE READ ON KINDLE . REPEAT SECTION OF STORIES BY SAME PEOPLE
Published 9 months ago by LESLIE MELVYN BIGGS

4.0 out of 5 stars A big, handsome Lancaster book....., 2 Oct 2009
Martin Bull - See all my reviews
Certainly, the earlier book has been quarried for some accounts in this one which also uses many of the same chapter headings. But this is actually quite a different book ( which I'd guess may use research which wasn't used before, or has been carried out subsequently ).
It's largely constructed around first-hand accounts which, as always with Bomber Command veterans reminiscenses, are superb to read. It's also good to read the accounts of opposing Luftwaffe crews ( thanks to Theo Boiten's research which is credited in the acknowledgements ). There's also a very good selection of photos - some are admittedly very familiar, but there are many I'd never seen before. Yet again, I found one or two little errors/typos - don't publishers have proof-readers any more ? There's no bibliography, but there are useful notes at the end of each chapter. One major niggle from me - did we really need the Dam busters story to be re-told again ?
However,this is a large and very nicely-produced book ; in that respect probably the nicest since Francis Mason's old 'Avro Lancaster'.
Rather expensive at full price, but very browsable and - dare I say it? - it'd make a great Christmas gift. Overall - I'm glad I bought it !

2.0 out of 5 stars More a list than a book, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Legend of the Lancasters: The Bomber War from England 1942-45 (Kindle Edition)
This book is obviously the result of a lot of research by the author but this does not make for an interesting book.
Sorry