5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic end to a fantastic series
Published 19 months ago by Katie

Published 7 months ago by LallyC

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic end to a fantastic series, 1 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The End - A Paranormal Mystery (The Black Room Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
After the cliffhanger ending of part 3 i was super impatient to get my hands on this. It was well worth the wait. The action kicks off immediately and I could not stop reading!! Full of twists and turns, shocks and surprises. This mans imagination is absolutely breathtaking. And the end, oh the end. Stunning finale. The end has stayed with me all day. I got goosebumps. I don't want to say any more for fear of spoilers. Needless to say, you must not hesitate to read this. Fantastic new favourite author. Love him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow..., 1 Aug. 2013
What on Earth do you write after reading that finale? I have no idea but i'll try!

In-depth, moving, frightening, thrilling, brutal but ultimately, incredibly satisfying.

It must look like Luke has a bunch of mates writing these reviews for him because they're always so positive, however, that's not the case at all. I was just lucky enough to happen across one of his earlier books (TPOTD (The Path Of The Dead)) and was immediately hooked. There's a reason that his reviews are so good though...His books are bloody brilliant. Great reads that keep you gripped, keep you involved and keep you coming back for more.

The Black Room keeps this tradition of storming stories going. It's a must read for any thriller/sci-fi/suspense fan.

Go buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down... until 4:30am, 30 Dec. 2014
The finale of this book kept me up until 4:30am on a work night, riveted to the page and unable to stop reading despite being half dead with tiredness and knowing full well the bleary-eyed horror that awaited me the following morning. It's that good.

The plot concept is highly imaginative - and rest assured, the story does cleverly explore all of the ramifications that will occur to you as you're reading, and also a few that will surprise you - and I couldn't wait to find out more about the mystery. I also very much liked the two main characters and the quality of the writing (a little raw, but clearly and vividly written and giving its honest all - I expect great things in the future as this author matures over time), and by the end the story had managed to both surprise me with where it led and also satisfy my curiosity on all plot counts. All of which may sound a little meta for a review, but I really don't want to give away anything too specific as this is a tale that should be read as unspoiled as possible. But hey look, the first part is free, so give it a try and find out for yourself. If you like it as much as I did, you'll be back on Amazon buying the rest of the story eagerly.

Oh and, if you've reached this part - I've been pasting this same review for each of the book's sections to cover the whole book - all I can say is: prepare yourself... muahahahaha!

Lastly a brief word, if I may, about fan support. Much like dialling a voting hotline to support your favourite acts on a TV talent show, indie authors in the self publishing economy live and die by the number of reviews they get, which is essential to whether or not a book reaches your notice through Amazon's profiling algorithms. I don't know Luke Smitherd, but having enjoyed The Black Room immensely and now wanting to continue reading more of his work for years to come, I have chosen to respond to his plea in the afterword to come on here to leave one of my rare reviews to do my bit to help his career along. And so for anyone else who might read this comment and decide to take the same chance on a new author that I did and come away satisfied with what you've read, please keep this in mind and make the small effort to remember to come back and do the same. I can't stress enough what a huge difference it can make to an author's chances.

3.0 out of 5 stars The End needs some serious editing, but still a very enoyable story., 17 July 2014
Before I begin I should confess to usually being way too lazy to ever leave reviews for my Amazon purchases, but this is the fifth review I have done for a Luke Smitherd story! This is partly due to enjoying these stories so much, but is also partly due to the cheeky badg....I mean polite requests for reviews from Luke at the end of his instalments – it certainly is a first for me to be begged, on his metaphorical knees no less, for a review, and I was concerned that the ever increasing guilt would soon affect my sleeping if I didn't make a bit of effort and leave a review. So, anyway, onto the fourth and last instalment of The Black Room: The End. I started reading this story after thoroughly enjoying The Stone Man (and yes Luke, I have already left a good review for TSM!), and The Black Room is similarly fresh, original and well-written and I have mostly enjoyed reading it as much as TSM. The “mostly” is due to this fourth instalment which is why I've given this only three stars as opposed to the four I've given the other instalments. The “back-story” (I'm trying not to put in any spoilers here) is way too long and needs some serious editing. Luke himself was aware that this might be an issue and I'm afraid it is; it destroyed the excellent tension and momentum built-up in the first three instalments. It wasn't a complete disaster by any means, and I still enjoyed the denouement and decent ending, but it was a more difficult and confusing read. The solution is simple but painful: Luke you need to put the four instalments together, edit it carefully (focussing on condensing the back-story in part four) and re-release it as a proper book. Do this and you'll have a book as good as TSM. Now for me it's onto TMOTT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away, 15 Aug. 2014
BOOM, what an ending to an incredible story! I left a review for Part One, but had to add something here as I was so moved by the final instalment that I couldn't very well say nothing now, could I..? I honestly don't think it was humanly possible to read this last part ANY faster than I did. The cliffhanger at the end of Part three had me literally screaming at my phone to download faster. The pace in Part four is unreal. Luke's writing and imagination, Jaysus Christ - absolutely breathtaking! Took me on a right emotional roller-coaster. I was right there with the characters and could feel their pain, love, determination, fear - everything. Fascinating, gripping, emotional, stunning, A-bloody-MAZING book. This man is gifted. He bleeds talent.

I was quite distraught the story was finally over (it's OK, I'll get my fix by starting 'A Head Full Of Knives' this weekend - need to buy a big f'ing DO NOT DISTURB sign). Loved, loved, LOVED this book. Can not get enough of Mr Smitherd. He ROCKS my literary world. Hands down my new FAVOURITE author.

Pretty damn sure, I can't sing Luke's praises any higher...

5.0 out of 5 stars A new Heinlein?, 19 Feb. 2014
David Lambourne (CASTLEFORD, W Yorkshire, GB) - See all my reviews
Having read all four parts of this offering, as well as The Stone Man, I would give this author huge applause. His understanding of human nature, (and his ability to twist it), is one day going to put him up there with King, Heinlein and Niven. Plus he has something other self published writers of his generation lack....absolutely great ideas! You owe it to yourself to own his books . Honestly. He is that good. Good characterization, intense plotting,and some excruciatingly executed cliffhangers that will make you wince wondering how the protagonist will get out of that... breathtakingly. One day he'll be hailed as classic

5.0 out of 5 stars This guy's on fire, 2 Oct. 2013
Mr Ken B (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
Firstly I have to say I am not a fan of serialised books, the main reason being that, I find that whilst waiting for the next part to be released I begin to lose touch with the plot, and it takes a while for me to re-identify and build up the empathy with the characters again.

I downloaded Parts 1 & 2 in May 2013, part 3 in June, and part 4 at the end of July, so there have been some long periods between each part, and I didn't actually start reading part 4 until a couple of weeks ago due to other commitments, so for me that's not the best way to read a novel, but having said that...... I was absolutely blown away with the book as a whole, and the ending was excellent.

When I get excited with a plot line, I have a habit of starting to read too fast, just to find out what happens next,which is exactly what I started to do with this one, so I had to make a conscious effort to slow down. The story had great characters, and God did I hate `Chuck', there was a certain scene where I was almost shouting `Go on Charlie, give him what for' but I'll say no more as I hate spoilers, however a 5 star effort from Mr SMITHERD yet again..

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth persevering, 1 Oct. 2013
I have to be completely honest here- parts 1-3 were brilliant! Part 4 concluded the story perfectly if a little confusing! But that might be because I kept reading until the wee hours determined to get to the conclusion!!
Definitely worth the time and will be searching further stories from this talented author. Well done Luke!

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic conclusion, 19 Aug. 2013
No plot spoilers from me, this is an excellent mini series that has been well thought out and served masterfully. Congratulations Luke, a fantastic read that is impossible to put down. Perhaps now I can get a few nights of normal sleep!

5.0 out of 5 stars A mindbending classic!, 5 Aug. 2013
A book in which Luke Smitherd proves himself beyond doubt (as if he hasn't already) as master of the metaphysical. The Black Room pt 4 takes the story from the first three parts by the horns and flings it into completely unsuspected places... with mindblowing results.
My expectations were high for the conclusion of the series - so much so I was actually quite worried that it wouldn't match up the hype I'd created for it in my own mind... this book actually blew my expectations out of the water. The author manages to weave an intricate and complex plot without ever losing the reader; the characters are brilliantly realised and the writing just flows off the page.
This is one of those books where you race to the end, but when you get there you wish there was more. That's not to say the ending isn't satisfying (believe me, it works a treat) - but it is difficult to leave such a well created world behind.
Luke Smitherd's other books were clearly not just flukes - this guy is a genuine talent and surely it's only a matter of time before the world wakes up and earns him a living. Superb!