4.0 out of 5 stars A step up from the last album
Published 16 months ago by M. Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult 3rd album
I awaited the release of BIG TV with great trepidation having loved the superb (5 star) releases of 'To Lose My Life...' and 'Ritual', but this is a disappointment. It's not bad, just average and a bit samey. It needed a bit more of a kick. Admittedly they have set the bar high, but nonetheless, disappointing.
Published 15 months ago by B. J. Farmer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult 3rd album, 15 Sep 2013
B. J. Farmer (Rugby, England) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars sounds the same as the last one., 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: BIG TV (Audio CD)
This sounds the same as the last one there are some good tracks on here when you have heard one you have heard them all.
i am disappointed in this album.

3.0 out of 5 stars First Time Disappointed, Long Time Listener, 14 Dec 2013
P. Nicholls (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BIG TV (MP3 Download)
I really enjoyed the epic gloominess of White Lies first 2 albums and this third is very much in the same vein, although a little less gloomy, a little less epic and overall their weakest album so far in my opinion.

After eagerly awaiting the release of Big TV and giving it a first listen I found myself quite enjoying the first track and spending the rest of the album waiting for another to top it, right up until the end where I was left feeling confused and disappointed.

I avoided writing off the album before giving it some time to sink in. However on repeated listening; whilst there are a few tracks I dig, particularly the title track Big TV and Mother Tongue, a lot of the rest of the album continues to become non-distinct background music as I try to re-listen to it.

One of the tracks I also actively dislike. "First Time Caller" is an irritating mellowed out pop song, complete with catchy-in-a-bad-way lyrics that overuse well worn expressions like it's a Katy Perry single.

So definitely not love-at-first-listen and not much of a grower either, but still better than "a poke in the eye with a sharp stick" - hopefully not an upcoming track from White Lies 4th album.

4.0 out of 5 stars A step up from the last album, 3 Sep 2013
M. Brown "The Deceiver" (Felixstowe, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BIG TV (Audio CD)
I loved the first WL album and having seen their brilliant support slot for Muse at Wembley I was a little disappointed with the last album. It wasn't a bad album by any means but didn't quite have the hooks ever-present on To Lose My Life. However this album represents a return to the song-writing quality of the first album and the songs feel less forced than on Ritual. Hopefully WL will be around for some time to come as there a very few bands around at present writing songs of such stadium-filling quality and with three very good albums in their canon they should have built up the sort of fan-base they deserve.

3.0 out of 5 stars Growing on me, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: BIG TV (Audio CD)
Not sure about this album when I first heard it but the more I listen to it the better it gets. Not as good as the first album (which is one of my favourites of all time)

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid 3rd album that takes a while to reveal its charms., 15 Nov 2014
This review is from: BIG TV (MP3 Download)
This album was initially something I could take or leave. Compared to their first album I'd have to be honest and say I found it a little underwhelming so on the shelf it went..
Fast-forward 6 months and I fancied something new in the car and decided to give this another go. I'm so glad I did, this album is the quintessential 'grower', the more I've played it the more I've grown to love it to the extent that, now, it's never out of the car stereo for long. Favourite tracks are Big TV, There Goes My Love again, Mother Tongue and Getting Even.

Probably my most played CD over the last 12 months and I listen to a lot of music.

4.0 out of 5 stars BIG Sound - no surprises, 12 Aug 2013
Amazon Customer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: BIG TV (Audio CD)
'BIG TV' is the third studio album by indie-Rock band White Lies.

'BIG TV' follows the story of two young lovers as they make an aspirational move to a big city. Whilst this consistently strong album could be their best record yet, there remains nothing particularly different about 'BIG TV' - if anything it may flirt with the more melodious side but it is unquestionably White Lies.

You can hear the collective sigh of relief on the opening track 'Big TV' that towers above the rest of the album - taking nothing away from the balance of the record, this epic title track reaches heights that none of the other tracks quite approach; this is perhaps made even sweeter following the resounding failure of a rival post-punk revivalists recent love-infused offering. Singles 'There Goes Our Love Again' and 'Getting Even' are equally epic and although the album is filled up with a couple of needless 'space' interludes the majority of the record oozes class. There is a direct simplicity to this album that remains simultaneously epic and harmonious. Harry McVeigh's baritone voice cascades high above.

This will not disappoint their followers. Comparisons to Echo & The Bunnymen, Joy Division and Interpol pleasingly persist.

Listen to: 'Big TV', 'Be Your Man', 'Goldmine'

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably their most consistent album, 12 Aug 2013
D. Carter - See all my reviews
This review is from: BIG TV (Audio CD)
Had a few listens to Big TV, the third album from White Lies and can gladly report its up to the same standard as the first 2 in fact I would say its an improvement as there is little filler unlike the first 2 albums as good as they were. Dont expect a change of direction as this really is more of the same but hey i am happy with that and I can safely say if you are already a fan you will love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars They've Cracked It!!, 19 May 2014
This review is from: BIG TV (Audio CD)
If you haven't listened to the White Lies before....I urge you to do it. Don't be expecting bouncy, tear-up-the-place type of music, because you won't get it. They make songs, songs with great lyrics. They've got some absolute belting tunes on this album as well, to follow on from their other two crackers. This is a bit more uplifting than the second, and maybe a bit more poppy. It works though. Getting Even, Big TV and Mother Tongue are, in my opinion, classics. Buy it and bloody well listen to it...okay!!?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 21 April 2014
This review is from: BIG TV (MP3 Download)
Not as good as the last albums of theres, just thought it was all samey to what they had previously done before, but I love these guys so still going for the 4 star rating on this one. Please guys you can do better, just felt like an afterthought;

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›