Format: Audio CD|Change

like many i discovered the fantastic miss vickers on the brilliant single once however her debut album did not cut it apart from some truly amazing pop songs (Chasing You,You'll Never Get To Hevan & Remake Me & You) and after the slighly bonkers but amazing girls aloud meets 60s girl band on a sugar rush "My Wicked Heart" she left her label for a more "Indie" sound i was worried however this album is pure pop brilliance with a twist opening track "Music To Make Boys Cry" is a fanastic glittery electro-pop gem with amazing songwriting and a hint of sadness is brillant and next track "Cinderella" is pure dreamy electro-pop amazing-ness and "Lighting Strikes" also follows in the footsteps of those tracks with a fanatstic "Hey-na-na-na" hook! "Dead Heat" is a blippy addictive electro pop number next "Boy in Paris" is catcy quirky pure electro pop song however the orignal production wich was relased along time ago is much better than this the one feels slighly over produced however "Mad at Me" is a fansatic fizzing slighly bonkers electro pop number with amazing whizzie bits and as amazing sexy vocols from diania! "Smoke" is a generic dubstep song wich isnt very good however "Mr Postman" makes up for it with its fantastic 60's production "Better in French" is a fanastic disco style pop song with flirty lirycs and a brillaint vocol perfomance then closing track "Blame Game" is amazing and steels the show! with its amazing production wizzie bits and lyrics it is euphoric yet tinged with sadness and makes you want to cry and dance at the smae time. all in all "MTMTBC" is a perfect sparkley,euporic,energetic cutting edge pop album that will make you cry and dance at the same time and one not to be missed!
on 6 March 2016
I am not a great lover of electronica, but I am a great lover of a good female singer and Diana is certainly that. The album opens with the title track, Music To Make Boys Cry. It was hearing this song that first alerted me to what a good singer Diana is and made me want to hear more of her music. This counts as the first highlight of the album.

Lightning Strikes is the second highlight. Just as you think you know what's coming next, the tempo changes. Mad At Me is the third highlight as it is a good lively song. Smoke is an enjoyable catchy song and the next highlight. Then comes Smoke, on which Diana's voice initially sounds like Gabriella Cilmi. From me that is a compliment, and this is the fifth highlight of the disc.

The final highlight is Blame Game which is, for this listener, the best song on the disc. An enjoyable song that clinches the four-star rating.

The bonus tracks (not listed on this collection, but available for download) are acoustic versions of Cinderella, Music To Make Boys Cry, and Better In French. These are more enjoyable to this listener than the electronic versions, although there are times when Diana's voice sounds just a little strained.

Suffice to say, if Diana decided to re-record this disc using guitar, bass, and drums, I would buy a copy - and probably give it five stars! Recommended.
on 18 March 2014
really enjoyable, cd songs great. If you enjoyed watching her on x factor you will enjoy her music. very good
on 1 February 2015
Great pop album which didn't get the success it deserved!
on 17 September 2013
I Loved Diana's debut album. It was a really solid album that sold a healthy 500+ k in the UK. But after ONCE , she struggled to find a single that captured the public / radio which was a shame as the album had stellar tracks.
Her career has been frustrating to watch over the last few years. Like a lot of artists these days, she has suffered an unhealthily long gap between this and her last album. But the music industry overall is really struggling to adapt to the constant changes. Diana would obviously have benefited from having her album out sooner. Labels just seem to be so nervy and reluctant to truly invest in artists now. Look at heavyweights like Celine Dion and Mariah Carey who both have delayed and delayed their albums. Rush releasing stuff that isn't right isn't good either but surely there is a happy medium.

A gap like this isn't good for many reasons. Diana initially said she wanted to get a second album out quickly. Her differences with RCA that led to her parting with them and the delay hasn't been good as she has spent so long shopping a new deal. Her profile has slipped hugely and she is now long forgotten by the public at large.

But the real problem here is that Diana hasn't delivered the amazingly good album that I would have hoped. Sure, it has its moments and it's good in places but it all feels very half heartedly put together.

Cinderella never was a lead single. It is catchy in parts but it just doesn't grab you like Once did.
The fact that she titled the album Music to Make Boys Cry and chose a track she gave away free nearly two years ago as her second single and the lead-in single to the album launch is very telling. The goods aren't totally here. I don't hear much difference between this version and the demo that was given free in 2011 and I don't think it is strong enough for single potential either.

I don't think the album works as a body of work . Diana described it as all 80's and stuff. Yes the first two tracks and tracks like Boy In Paris and Mad at Me sound very 80's-like but tracks like Dead Heat and Lightning Strikes sound very contemporary and have no 80's-esque elements in my opinion. It just doesn't all work. None of the tracks are seriously stand out to warrant single material. The stand out moment is the great Mad at Me. It is such a great song but I can't see radio taking to it. It actually sounds too 80's if that makes sense at all to work on radio right now.
Mr. Postman is god awful and wouldn't have made her debut album. Cheese personified me thinks.
The rest are fine and are fun but they kinda float over you.

I love Diana and her voice but I just think this album was a bit of a messed up project. It doesn't work or flow well. Single material is sorely absent . I also think her unique voice shines more away from the electronic dance music stuff. I'd love to see more live instrument based music from her to be honest. I heard she was working with John Shanks and some of the early material from this album's making (Colours etc) kinda suggested she was going in that direction. She left RCA because they were pushing her to make poppy music and she didn't want to but it kinda feels she left them, then made the sort of album they were looking for . Perplexing

I don't mean to be scathing but I am disappointed. Her voice shines through on the acoustic tracks on the deluxe edition. This pseudo 80's dance stuff just hasn't come off as well as I would have hoped and I feel she kind of is struggling to find her niche and identity. Still a decent enough album - just nothing really special to me sadly and I cant see it getting much public attention. The material is fine but nothing to get excited about and that is sad because I feel she should be far more successful than she has been .
on 10 November 2013
This album was well worth the wait. I was worried about the lengthy gap between it and her first album, but I needn't have been, this is great! I heard she was persueing a "less commercial" route and thought "oh dear", but if this isn't "commercial" I don't know what is! The songs are beautifully crafted, and the vocals are great. It's definitely a more cohesive album overall than her first album, which was good, but slightly all over the place.
This is a fantastic second album, starting off with the two really strong singles, title track "Music to Make Boys Cry" and "Cinderella". It was really these two songs which persuaded me to cast aside my doubts and by the album.
Then comes "Lightening Strikes" (a superbly catchy song, it's been stuck in my head since day 1) and "Dead Heat", possibly my favourite on there. Unfortunately I don't really like "Boy in Paris", but it's by no means a terrible song, just one I didn't think was a good as the rest of the album. "Mad at Me", "Smoke", and "Mr Postman" are all brilliant, with "Mad at Me" and "Mr Postman" as my other 2 favourite songs. "Better in French" for me was also not incredible, but it has grown on me a lot, and finally "Blame Game" is a great closing song.
I would definitely recommend this cd, the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because I didn't love ALL of it, but it came pretty close! Certainly doesn't disappoint Diana Vickers fans.
on 20 December 2015
Very understated singer I love it
on 25 June 2014
I just loved he on x factor and wanted her to win she has that unmistakeable voice you know it is her singing
on 21 January 2015
Excellent second album
on 10 December 2013
I like this artist,she looks good and sings with a freshly different voice.Theres a few tracks on here i,m nuts on but there all good. Glad i,ve got this album one for all the girls.