1,328 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag!
Ordered this before taking three low-cost flights and so glad I did. It's easy to pack a week's worth of holiday stuff including a laptop and travel documents in this bag. I've also got the Dussel Cabin Backpack which is the same size/price but has better padding for laptops and definitely worth a look.

Originally I was intending to buy a trolley style wheelie...
Published on 22 Sept. 2010 by Mr. William J. Ford

1.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTINGLY POOR QUALITY
Published on 5 July 2011 by Peter C

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag!, 22 Sept. 2010

Originally I was intending to buy a trolley style wheelie case, but having read the other reviews decided this bag would be a better option. The advantages are threefold. Firstly, this bag totally compresses when you're not using it so takes up little space for storage. Second, the bag is a lot lighter than a hard case trolley, and third, a wheelie case does not have a pocket in the front for documents. Important because Easyjet are now getting really strict about the 'one bag only' rule. Someone in front of me in the queue got asked to find room in her bag for the handbag she was carrying, which involved unzipping her entire case. Nightmare!

The only criticism I would make of this bag is that it's so spacious that you'll undoubtably end up carrying some of your travel companions' stuff that they can't fit in their own bag. Or otherwise, you'll take more stuff than you would have otherwise and the bag will be heavy on your back.

Overall though, this is definitely a smart choice for travellers. Thumbs up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cabin Max does what it says., 15 April 2010
M. Palmer (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
A great product at the price. With some well known budget airlines now charging for hold baggage but lifting weight restrictions on cabin bags, the Cabin Max does what it says and allows you to make full use of the available space whilst staying within the size limits. Once loaded the straps are tensioned to condense the bag to the required size. There are lots of inner pockets and compartments to stow toiletries and possibly wet clothing. On a week long stay in Spain I was able to fit everything I needed into the Cabin Max and still have room for a tea pot and baby clothes. The lack of wheels and pull out handle reduces weight and was not a problem as the shoulder straps are perfectly adequate. The Cabin Max is excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Budget airline cabin baggage friendly!!, 20 Mar. 2012
I bought this bag for my recent trip to Tenerife. I managed a complete week, with clothes, make-up, hair styler etc all in this backpack. And it saved £70 each way on a suitcase!! Highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect! I will never pay checked-in luggage fees again!, 21 Jun. 2012
Em (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I regularly fly with Ryanair and have been looking for the perfect hand luggage bag which will allow me to pack enough luggage for a week, thus avoiding the extortinate fees they charge for checked-in luggage...The Cabin Max backpack is, in my opinion, the perfect solution.

If you are considering buying this backpack, I thought it may help to give you a better idea of how much it can actually hold. Here is a list of what I packed for my latest week long trip abroad:

Waterproof jacket,1 pair cargo pants, 1 pair of jeans, 3 pairs of leggings, 2 hoodies, 5 vest tops, 3 jumpers/tops, 2 cardigans, pair of PJs, undies and socks, pair of walking boots, 2 pairs of ballet pump style shoes, toiletries, make up and hair straighteners. There was still room to fit my small cross-body bag, enabling me to meet Ryanair's strict "One item of hand luggage only" rule. All of this gear still weighed in under the 10kg allowance and the bag fitted easily in and out of the Ryanair luggage gauge at the airport.

The zip up pocket on the front is perfect for keeping flight tickets, passport and other important items close to hand.

The bag is comfortable to carry - it has padded straps which can easily be adjusted to suit the individual.

The bag looks well made and the zips have a solid heavy duty feel to them.

I highly recommend this bag, it is well worth the money. I can't imagine travelling without it now!

1.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTINGLY POOR QUALITY, 5 July 2011
Unfortunately the Cabin Max Backpack Flight bag I purchased was very poor quality. First the seam split open the complete length of the small front pocket where I was keeping travel documents. Second the adjoining seam started to split open thus allowing valuables in the internal zipped mesh pocket to slip out. Third the seam along the top into the main compartment started to open.
I have only used the bag a few times, it was never filled and as I was carrying valuables and personal effects it was always treated gently.
A big disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Ryanair, 19 Jan. 2013
We bought one of these and one Düssel Laptop Backpack for Aircraft Cabin 55 X 40 X 20 cm for a trip to Sardinia in January. The main advantage is that you save time and money checking in bags into the hold (Ryanair now charges up to fifty pounds for the privilege). And in terms of carry-on options, a bag like this is good because it frees your hands up to wrestle with passports, print-outs and restaurant trays. You're also not going to get stopped by the "queue police" with a bag on your back; as far as I can tell only people with wheelie cases seem to get harassed.

The two bags differ mainly in terms of weight. Whereas the Cabinmax is ultra-light, it's not waterproof. The Düssel bag provides a lot more padding and protection (actually, it's designed to protect laptops), and is also water resistant. However, it is quite a bit heavier and therefore harder to store.

Another difference between these products is the size - CabinMax can be totally stuffed and still not be over the size limit whereas you'd have to be a bit more careful with the Düssel bag because the outer dimensions are the maximum allowed. Price-wise I'm afraid Düssel wins hands down. And the quality of the Düssel bag is actually better in my opinion.

But if you want a lightweight cabin bag that's easy to store and has one main pocket with a few external ones for passports and things, this Cabin Max is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and flexible, 22 Jun. 2010
I'd been looking for hand luggage that made the most of budget airline allowances for a while and this seemed to fit the bill. At around 750g it allowed me to pack about 2kg more kit than the hard-cased variety I'd been looking at.

It's comfortable as a backpack but, being less tall than today's average, I didn't find it so easy to use the carry handle on top when I needed to. As one of the other reviewers said, it could do with a handle on the side as well. It has more internal pockets than I could find uses for and one zipped pocket on the outside for easy access to my travel documents. A good feature. The metal zip tabs of the two main compartments can also be gathered together and padlocked for a bit of security if you feel the need.

I think it's a little pricey for what is basically a nylon bag but worth the money when you consider the savings on checked-in luggage fees these days. It can take a week's worth of luggage, assuming it's not too cold where you're going! I've only used it once so far but it feels strong enough for repeated use.

5.0 out of 5 stars CabinMax : light, sturdy, not glamourous, 6 Sept. 2010
Firstly, it's very light. Approx 750 grams, which is far lighter than any other comparable-sized bag that I own. So the bag itself will not weight you down, and will leave over 90% of your 10 kilogram weight allowance free for its contents.

Although it may take several trips to be certain of this, the material and the construction look very sturdy, despite the light weight. It seems to be made of some type of tough cloth with some added nylon. The zips have good-sized metal teeth and open and close smoothly.

Apart from the surprisingly-large main compartment, there is a well-planned full-length pocket, with many compartments, and a smaller outer pocket for quick access.

Perhaps to achieve its light weight, the bag itself does not have an especially firm structure or shape by itself, but will partly rely on its contents to give it its shape. The four compression straps on the sides will help to achieve this and prevent a less-than-full bag from being floppy.

The shoulder straps are padded and have a nice curved shape which keep them securely positioned on one's shoulders. Note that, unlike some other bags, the straps do not have a hide-away pocket, but this is not a big issue. The bag itself also has three large padded areas on the back, for added carrying comfort.

Although not in any way ugly, the bag is not especially stylish nor glamourous. So if you're looking to cut a fine figure or make a fashion statement as you stroll into your first-class cabin, then this might not be the bag for you. But if you want a sturdy, functional, light-weight, practical bag, then ... why are you still even reading this review, just go click on "Add to Basket"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cabin Max Backpack, 7 Dec. 2009
Mr. David J. Phillips (England) - See all my reviews
For anyone who likes to fly on the cheap using the budget carriers, this is the bag for you. It makes the absolute full use of your carry-on baggage allowance by being made to the permitted size limits in all dimensions and it's really light as well, enabling you to pack over 9 kilograms of kit and caboodle. This bag has pockets where you need them so you can carry and produce your travel documents without having to open the case and a separate larger pocket which is ideal for a modern laptop computer.

Also, if you ever travel alone and want to go to a bar or self service restaurant you will know how difficult it is with a trolley bag. You can't leave your luggage unattended so you have to try and carry a tray with one hand and pull your trolley bag with the other which is difficult to say the least. Wear your luggage on your back and your hands are free to do what you want.

I can pack enough clothes and accessories for a one week holiday with ease with this bag and the savings on checked in luggage are considerable not to mention the time spent queuing to check bags in and the agonizing wait for your bag to come round on the carousel down-route. So next time your see people being stopped at the gate and charged fortunes for an oversized bag, you can gloat knowing you are within the limits and relax in the knowledge that you are being a really savvy traveller.

1.0 out of 5 stars Large capacity but with no strength, plus flimsy materials and shoddy construction make these a poor investment., 28 July 2012
Six months ago, my partner and I bought two of these backpacks just before we moved from the UK to Chiang Mai. The plan was that we'd check in the bulk of our luggage but use our backpacks for essentials (including our laptops, which are very light), plus also for a few days' worth of clothes, should our hold luggage become mislaid or delayed (it's never happened yet but it pays to plan for every eventuality, right?!). We also thought they would be ideal for our trips to Laos and Cambodia, for weekends away to other parts of Thailand, and for day-trips etc. Size-wise, we were right; we could easily get enough clothing for a week into the backpacks, including towels, swimming gear, and toiletries. In this respect, yes, these are good pieces of kit. There are plenty of pockets too, which means you don't have to rummage around for documents, money, mossie spray, etc., and there is plenty of padding on the back and on the straps, making them pretty comfortable backpacks.

Unfortunately, the materials and construction leave a lot to be desired, particularly at the points where the horizontal security straps are attached; these do not take stress well, and mine had torn before we'd even boarded the 'plane at Heathrow. My partner's tore within a couple of days of arriving in Thailand. During the following fortnight, the seams became progressively weaker, despite never overloading the backpacks, nor putting anything particularly heavy in them. Next to go was the lining in the pockets, followed by the zips coming away, and then the carry straps themselves began to pull away from the body. If these things had happened to just one backpack, I'd chalk it up to a random faulty item; however, the fact that the same faults have occurred in both of them suggests to me that this kind of thing is the norm for this model.

In conclusion, given the lack of longevity and the inferior materials, I really cannot say that these backpacks are worth the money. While I didn't expect them to be as tough as those designed specifically for backpacking, I did expect them to last the journey from our home in the UK to our new home in Thailand. As it is, I really cannot recommend them for anything other than transporting a couple of towels and some swimming gear... in which case, why would you need something so large?