5.0 out of 5 stars **plastic: money, face, value**
I read this book not sure what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. Through the eyes of a married, thirty year old female with a serious addiction to retail, the reader is propelled on a journey through 21st century life in the suburbs of London then to the epicenter itself.

Published 6 months ago by Jenny

3.0 out of 5 stars When a book takes years......
Published 4 months ago by Archers fan

5.0 out of 5 stars **plastic: money, face, value**, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Plastic (Kindle Edition)

Penelope June, known as June, shops using her husbands plastic credit cards to compensate for the loss of her child, her failing marriage and her lack of a job or any intellectual stimulation - she's highly intelligent. She reminds me a little of Gabby from Desperate Housewives.

She is thrown into a world of plastic surgery, sex, drugs and criminal activity that bares resemblances to American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis, except this is London. It is a very British novel, really funny and I'll definitely be ordering more of Christopher Fowler's books on Kindle.

3.0 out of 5 stars When a book takes years......, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Plastic (Kindle Edition)
When a book takes years to come to press you know there is something not quite right about it. Yes it was written a long time ago and went through some updating before it finally came to press but really it does little to fire up the imagination. It seems out of date and even though there are modern day references it really is not worthy of the writers talent. Christopher Fowler normally writes perfect fiction here though I do not know what has happened to him. Maybe writing in a Female voice is best left to a Female.

The story plods along and has no interest I have found myself skimming the text rather than reading and enjoying the book. I want it to go somewhere but it seems to just NOT. I will not repeat any plot detail as some have already mentioned that, I feel though that the direction the book takes is a dead end, or rather that's where it starts. The opening of the book leads you to think this will be an action packed roller coaster ride, Its not.

The books Okay but it does not shine like so many others do from this writer.

I have some questions about the believability of some things in the book. Gas boilers that work without electricity? How many modern boilers work without an electric pilot light or pump to push the water up a multistory building?

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, macabre., 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Plastic (Kindle Edition)
A gripping, macabre plot. As with all of his books he really brings London to life, adding a special dimension to the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant purchase, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Plastic (Paperback)
I wish I had discovered Christopher Fowlers books earlier, I could have staggered my reading a little better. I find them difficult to put down, Many thanks for another entertaining read

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great story from Christopher Fowler, 27 Aug 2013
YeahYeahNoh (Willenhall, West Midlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Plastic (Kindle Edition)
This book really must be made into a movie.
I wasn't too sure at first, things did seem a little convoluted, but what seemed like too many coincidences made sense when I realised why June was in the room on the seventh floor. It's those little details that make this work.
Above all, it was fun, and a great way to spend a few hours with my Kindle. The (pristine) paperback will sit on my shelves alongside other books by the same author, one of only a handful to whom I give this privilege!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Plastic (Paperback)
Another really clever and entertaining book from this author - what wonderful characters and a great story line. Mr Fowler really is at his best when his characters are wondering around London in nasty situations. Excellent.

2.0 out of 5 stars I so wanted to like this book...., 6 Jan 2014
C Cook "CC" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plastic (Paperback)
but I didn`t. I wavered between 2 and 3 stars because it`s well written but settled for 2 because I just couldn`t warm to the characters or the story line. I love Bryant & May and bought the book on the strength of liking the author but it didn`t work for me. It felt as if it was trying too hard to be quirky and different. The central character fluctuated between uninteresting, ridiculous and downright silly and I couldn`t really care about her or the outcome. I was glad to finish it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Weird and Wonderful, 19 Aug 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Plastic (Kindle Edition)
Chris is one of those authors that really does satisfy me as a reader. He gives me a cracking storyline, some great twists but personally, it's the characters that he brings to the fore that really sells his work as they're believable, are people that I hope will survive and all round gives me a book that is really hard to put down.

Throw into the mix some cracking prose and dialogue as well as some red herrings that will leave the reader wondering what is going to happen all round makes this a book that I can't help but recommend to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars None, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Plastic (Kindle Edition)
delightfully bizarre . as good as all his other books. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Christopher Fowler at his best, whether Bryant and May or anything else he chooses to write.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thilling as ever, 11 Aug 2013
A. WHITE (Brighton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plastic (Paperback)
Christopher Fowler is a brilliant and versatile author . Plastic grips you from start to finish , the best I have read for a long while . Alan White

Plastic